PDA

View Full Version : Sore ribs,trouble breathing after Deads

Tennessee Mike
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Am I nuts?Lately,I swear that after a ME deadlift day,my ribs hurt like hell for 2 days.And I only wear a belt on my last few sets(not too tight).That night and the next day I usually have shortness of breath too.Its like someone on my chest.Whats goin on here?

Lones Green
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
thats weird...i've never heard of that before. wish i could help, but i'm sure theres someone on here that can...if not, post it in the general health section. "the doc" can probably answer your question

RedSpikeyThing
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
could you have pulled your intercostal muscles? It can happen :confused:

richwilliams77
07-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey bro dont worry I have deadlifted 800 raw. I have had shortness of breath the next day all it is is your muscles protecting your internal organs and rib cage are tight thats due to the compression at the bottom of the lift it usually goes away in a couple of days. you have to think you use just about use every muscle in your body when you pull. Actually I went to the ER one time due to chest tightness they done a ekg blood work and all it was muscle tightness. If it persist after a couple of days go to the Doc

sponsered by Atlarge Nutrition the supplements that work

Tennessee Mike
07-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Hey bro dont worry I have deadlifted 800 raw. I have had shortness of breath the next day all it is is your muscles protecting your internal organs and rib cage are tight thats due to the compression at the bottom of the lift it usually goes away in a couple of days. you have to think you use just about use every muscle in your body when you pull. Actually I went to the ER one time due to chest tightness they done a ekg blood work and all it was muscle tightness. If it persist after a couple of days go to the Doc

sponsered by Atlarge Nutrition the supplements that work

Thanks bro.Yeah,it always goes away in a few days.It feels like my bones hurt.But hell,if its nothin serious,I aint gonna worry about it anymore.

thewicked
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
never heard of it but what rich says was going to be my guess... which does make sense.

BULK_BOY
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I too have had this "shortness of breath" and "sore" ribs after DLing. It goes away...........then comes back again after DLing. LOL!

Ruffian
07-16-2008, 02:29 PM
For me its usually because my belt puts pressure on my false ribs, Ive had mine slide somewhat out of position and that can cause problems breathing and the likes... Unfortunately, however, there isnt a whole heck of a lot you can do about it. Stretch and relax, eventually they will go back to normal. The whole muscles protecting your internal organs is, I guess, somewhat valid.... But I think its more likely that you risked pushing some bone out of alignment and then your muscles tensed up to protect that. The organs up by your chest are fairly well protected already by your ribs, and it would make sense (to me anyways) that if it was a protection mechanism for internal organs that your SI joint would sieze up due to tension in your back and your abdominals would be tight as heck.

My guess: your belt is pushing on your ribs in an unnatural way, causing them to slide somewhat out of place. Aaaannnddd... there really isnt much you can do about it.

but hey, if someone has some research to the contrary of what I said above, please... indulge me :)

BULK_BOY
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
BTW....I lift RAW!!! No belt for me on any lift. I think I get this soreness in my ribs when I haven't been to the chiro in awhile. hahaha

That's just me.:clown: