PDA

View Full Version : Bench Burnoff

GHOGH
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I like to do 1 set burnoff after my bench. I use 225 and get as many reps as I can. My best so far is 18 reps. Does anyone else do this? Or something similar?

I don't do it everyweek, just once and awhile to shock the chest a little bit.

MNRob
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I do that as well once and a while. I picked it up from a big bencher at an AFB gym many moons ago. His "reason" was to get the blood really flowing in and out of the muscle to help with recovery. Seems to work, can't really hurt in the grand scheme of things either.

sayagain
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Thats funny, I just started doing this as well, but my reason was that I wanted to compare my 225 lbs. bench for reps to the football players at the combine. I got 18 reps today as well, but that was without a spotter. I'm willing to bet that I could have gotten 1 or maybe 2 more reps.

waynedang
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
That is something I have always done. After my shirted bench I will go down to 315 and do as many as I can. Someday I will get 20. I won't do it every workout sometimes I try to save some gas for my other stuff.

bigbadwolfe
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I've been doing this almost every week with 405 on my DE type day. I just like the way it finishes out a good bench workout. It is probably doing more bad then good but I really wanna get it back over 20 reps. Then I'll quit!!!

ironmaster
07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Mike, why do you think it's doing more bad than good?

Wojo
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I do the burnoff at 225 usually once a program just for kicks. I don't do it all the time, I've always felt that if I did it could lead to an injury from over training. Some people will argue this point but it's my view point. The last training cycle that I did the rep out I hit 37.

Travis Bell
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
technically it is a diluted form of maximum effort. You are doing the maximum amount of reps you can get at a certain amount of weight. That doesn't mean if you do it on your DE day it'll break your program but I don't do it often. Typically I can get around 35reps with 225 so I'll do a couple sets of 20 at the end of the DE session. Still strains you but not a max

Isaac Wilkins
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
technically it is a diluted form of maximum effort. You are doing the maximum amount of reps you can get at a certain amount of weight. That doesn't mean if you do it on your DE day it'll break your program but I don't do it often. Typically I can get around 35reps with 225 so I'll do a couple sets of 20 at the end of the DE session. Still strains you but not a max

I would consider it to be Repetition Effort to failure, rather than a ME variation.

Either way, I do it from time to time as Wolfie says because it feels good. It could work for some hypertrophy work and as a flushing movement. It also could grind the hell out of your joints if you're not conditioned.

For a powerlifter it's probably not anything special during the session (as a recovery mechanism in another session it could be another story), but there's probably little harm in doing it once in a while.

THE BRUTE
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
i do repouts after band work to transition the speed over...they are awesome to do and keeps you healthy...especially if your benchin heavy in gear outside of that
TB