PDA

View Full Version : Football Lineman Workout??

lineman4life
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey, I'm new to weightlifting and I would like to know what would be a sample workout for a Freshman Football Lineman...I'm 14, 5'7" or 5'8" at 175 lbs...Thanks

jed
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
sample workout? and are you talking plyos/running or weightlifting?

lineman4life
07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Mainly Weightlifting...just some exercises that would improve my game as a lineman.

jed
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
whats your position and are you a fast/quick style or a big/strong style? even tho its not totally relevant.

lineman4life
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Defensive Tackle...more big/strong kinda guy

jed
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
do you use any routine right now? got any coaches that are smart in this area? im not one to create routines, but i can give you some lifts that would help.

lineman4life
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
nope i don't use any routines now...kinda new to weightlifting...all the coaches are away atm...what are some of the lifts that help?

jed
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
hmm. well, as a lineman myself, i have discovered power cleans work magic. they have helped me with explosion, big time. i can get off the ball as fast as i ever could in my life right now, power cleans being one of the leading factors. i'll also say flipping tires, although thats more cardio than 'weightlifting', has helped increase my footwork and speed and explosiveness by double. also theres the obvious things like squatting (full paralell, dont cheat yourself) and benching. work your triceps a lot, because locking out and being able to control that guy across from you on defense is absolutely key. since your new to weights, i would say go with rippetoes 5x5 or one of the WBB routines. hopefully someone that knows their stuff drops by this thread to offer some better help. if you need help learning power clean form (which everyone does when their new to it) give Sensei a PM, i beleive he has countless videos on every sort of movement. hope i helped.

lineman4life
07-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the help. :)

weasel
07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I like to run 1-2miles a day.......

squats,powerclean,leg press, are a couple that help quite a bit, but be sure to get a good balanced workout for your whoel body dont just squat then call it done for the day. The main thing is stay in overall good shape where you can EXPLODE off the ball fast and hard every play

work at fireing off the line low,hard,fast and sprint 5-10yards it'll help your form....do that for say 100yards or keep going and do however many you can can do comfortably without getting sloppy form.do it at GAME SPEED and work everytime you do it.

The 5X5 workout suggested will help you as well. Lots of people on here aren't big cardio fans but it is very important in sports that 1-2mile run will help you a bunch you wanna fire off the line every play. I'm a D-tackle and O-left gaurd I haven't ever been huge most i've weighed in at was 192 during wrestleing season.

it's yoru freshmen your dont stress it you got plenty more football to go just steadily keep your workout and by your senior year you can be a freaking monster.

backseatwitme13
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I like to run 1-2miles a day.......

it is very important in sports that 1-2mile run will help you a bunch you wanna fire off the line every play.

running miles is very unnecessary for lineman, it could actually be counter-productive.

stick to HIIT training, a lot of sprints (no longer than 100 yards) with little rest, and you'll be in great shape.

lifts like jed said such as cleans squats and tire flipping are great.

jed
07-13-2008, 10:42 PM
backseats got a point, stick with the short sprints and such. but maybe the OP knows about the running parts since hes asking about weights only. but hopefully he also knows plyos and running is equally as important as being able to move big weight.

Detard
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Push press, Thrusters, Power cleans, full squats, bench, pullups, deadlifts, rows.

MNRob
07-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Push press, Thrusters, Power cleans, full squats, bench, pullups, deadlifts, rows.

:withstupi:

Add grip strength (no one ever told me holding was illegal :evillaugh:)

Keep those shoulders strong too.

WillNoble
07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.defrancostraining.com/

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside2.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

Lastly..... EAT you're never going to make it as a 175lb lineman. The majority of incoming D1A college freshman Offensive linemen weigh well over 280

weasel
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
running miles is very unnecessary for lineman, it could actually be counter-productive.

stick to HIIT training, a lot of sprints (no longer than 100 yards) with little rest, and you'll be in great shape.

I included sprints/explosive off the ball training in it.....last thing you want is complete lards who cant run and have no endurance on the line. I fire off and pull in front of the RB. I gotta get downfield quick and make blocks or yards are lost simple as that. the mile(s) training is for endurance so your able to fire off every play.

I know a lot of lifters on here hate cardio but building up endurance is a part of football...surely as heck your coaches will have you running quite a bit for football and you need to be prepared.

If you fire off hard and wear down on the person accross from you he will get progressively easier and easier to block. it's about endurance and explosiveness.

sayagain
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
At your age, you really need to find a program that works your entire body. Pretty much anything you do at that age will make you stronger and better at football. Rippetoe's or a 5x5 are both great programs that will add muscle and strength. Don't worry so much about isolation movements and focus your lifting on the big movements, like bench, squat, deadlift, rows, power cleans, overhead presses, etc. These will add the most strength and muscle.

backseatwitme13
07-17-2008, 08:31 PM
the mile(s) training is for endurance so your able to fire off every play.

I know a lot of lifters on here hate cardio but building up endurance is a part of football...surely as heck your coaches will have you running quite a bit for football and you need to be prepared.

so running miles is the only effective way for good cardiovascular health? dont get me wrong, cardio is very important for football. but theres better ways than distance running. stick to sprints and if you're running them hard with little rest, you'll be in awesome shape.. after conditioning you should feel like you got your ass kicked.

Ben Moore
07-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I included sprints/explosive off the ball training in it.....last thing you want is complete lards who cant run and have no endurance on the line. I fire off and pull in front of the RB. I gotta get downfield quick and make blocks or yards are lost simple as that. the mile(s) training is for endurance so your able to fire off every play.

If you fire off hard and wear down on the person accross from you he will get progressively easier and easier to block. it's about endurance and explosiveness.

Endurance training for a guy that weighs 175 and trying to play on the line???

Sprints and weights. Then eat. Listen to Will - he's a former D1 offensive lineman and knows what he's talking about.

jed
07-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Lastly..... EAT you're never going to make it as a 175lb lineman. The majority of incoming D1A college freshman Offensive linemen weigh well over 280

who said he was planning on getting a full ride d1 football scholarship? you can definitely make it as a 175 lb lineman, especially as a freshman. for example, you dont have to weigh 280 to be a good lineman : we've had one 2-year all state O and D lineman at 205 lb, and 1-year all state D lineman at 190 lb. just in the past 2 years. ofcourse you wont make it at 175 in d1 or hell even d3, but the kids a freshman in highschool.

dont get me wrong, i have much respect for your skill and what youve done and who you are. but im just trying to stick up for all my small lineman brethren!

Ben Moore
07-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Hell for his own good he needs to gain some size. I was a 195lb guard playing in North Texas. I know at least for me there were more than a few times that I would have liked to have been bigger when going against some 270+ defensive linemen.

WillNoble
07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
who said he was planning on getting a full ride d1 football scholarship? you can definitely make it as a 175 lb lineman, especially as a freshman. for example, you dont have to weigh 280 to be a good lineman : we've had one 2-year all state O and D lineman at 205 lb, and 1-year all state D lineman at 190 lb. just in the past 2 years. ofcourse you wont make it at 175 in d1 or hell even d3, but the kids a freshman in highschool.

dont get me wrong, i have much respect for your skill and what youve done and who you are. but im just trying to stick up for all my small lineman brethren!

Yes but that doesnt mean he still needs to eat, lift, and listen to his coaches. Small linemen are a thing of the past outside of high school. for 14-15 year old kid, he needs to simply put in the time, there is no magic pill, there is no sage wisdom. Work hard, eat hard, shut up and listen to your coaches.

Who knows if he wants (or will ever have the capability) to play college football, but if he, like thousands of other high school players, dream about playing on Saturdays and lusts after playing on Sundays he needs to WORK.

Kids nowadays are less interested in working for their goals and listening to those who came before them, than trying to find some easy way to be great...guess what, IT DOESNT EXIST.

Shut up and lift

zen
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Take my advice with a grain of salt, but if I was a freshman in HS and wanted to start on the line in football, I'd be most concerned about building up my basic core strength and lower body power.
I know that linemen is actually a position that requires a lot of upper body strength and hand skills to be dominant, of course, but if I am just thinking about starting out, I want to work on a ground->up foundation of power and strength. To me that means lots of grueling heavy compound lifts in the gym. [edit]... and this stuff should have started in February, not July. You're just about to hit the field for hot summer 2-a-days (do they have those in HS?). The foundation should have been laid already.

And yes, I guess smaller line players can succeed, but on the whole it is obvious, you will go farther if you can GROW

jed
07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes but that doesnt mean he still needs to eat, lift, and listen to his coaches. Small linemen are a thing of the past outside of high school. for 14-15 year old kid, he needs to simply put in the time, there is no magic pill, there is no sage wisdom. Work hard, eat hard, shut up and listen to your coaches.

Who knows if he wants (or will ever have the capability) to play college football, but if he, like thousands of other high school players, dream about playing on Saturdays and lusts after playing on Sundays he needs to WORK.

Kids nowadays are less interested in working for their goals and listening to those who came before them, than trying to find some easy way to be great...guess what, IT DOESNT EXIST.

Shut up and lift

well-put, a very truthful! it was just that your 'youll never make it at 175' statement was a little too non-motivational for me and i had to try to stick up for us little guys. heck 175 as a freshman actually doesnt sound too small either! all our freshmen even the linemen are like 135 haha!

but yeah, lsiten to will, he obviously knows what hes talking about!!!

WillNoble
07-18-2008, 10:49 AM
From Rivals.com

Top O-line recruits for 2009:

Offensive Tackles

1 Morgan Moses Richmond (VA) Meadowbrook OL 6-7/347 list

2 Xavier Nixon Fayetteville (NC) Jack Britt OL 6-6/263 list

3 Garrett Porter Odessa (TX) Permian OL 6-6/308 ---------- Texas

4 Marcus Hall Cleveland (OH) Glenville Academic Campus OL 6-5/290 list

5 Eric Shrive Scranton (PA) West Scranton OL 6-7/285 ------ Penn State

6 Kevin Graf Agoura (CA) Agoura OL 6-6/301 ------ USC

7 David Barrent West Des Moines (IA) Valley OL 6-8/290 ------ Iowa

8 Thomas Ashcraft Cedar Hill (TX) Cedar Hill OL 6-5/290 ------Texas

9 Austin Long Memphis (TN) Briarcrest Christian OL 6-5/268 -----Georgia

10 Xavier Su'a Filo Provo (UT) Timpview OL 6-4/285 list

Offensive Guards

1 Michael Philipp San Bernardino (CA) Arroyo Valley OL 6-3/320 list

2 Chris Watt Glen Ellyn (IL) Glenbard West OL 6-3/280 -------- Notre Dame

3 Nick Alajajian Naples (FL) Naples OL 6-4/280 --------- Florida

4 John Martinez Salt Lake City (UT) Cottonwood Senior OL 6-3/265 list

5 Chris Burnette LaGrange (GA) Troup OL 6-2/300 ------ Georgia

6 Peter White Washington (DC) St. John's College High OL 6-4/340 list

7 Brandon Webb Owasso (OK) Owasso OL 6-4/320 -----------Oklahoma State

8 Corey Linsley Youngstown (OH) Boardman OL 6-4/285 -------- Ohio State

9 Jared Wheeler Plantation (FL) American Heritage OL 6-5/310 list

10 Johnnie Farms Perry (GA) Perry OL 6-3/285 list

Offensive Center

1 Mason Walters Wolfforth (TX) Frenship OL 6-6/290 ------ Texas

2 Blake Treadwell East Lansing (MI) East Lansing OL 6-2/270 ------- Michigan State

3 Jack Mewhort Toledo (OH) St. John's OL 6-6/292 ------ Ohio State

4 Nate Klatt Canal Fulton (OH) Northwest OL 6-4/286 ----- Michigan State

5 Mark Brazinski Basking Ridge (NJ) Immaculata ------ OL 6-3/297 Rutgers

6 Henry Orelus Belle Glade (FL) Glades Central OL 6-2/292 ------- LSU

7 Ty Howle Bunn (NC) Bunn OL 6-2/290 ------- Penn State

8 Terry Alletto Parker (CO) Ponderosa OL 6-4/280 -------- Brigham Young

9 Sam Simpson Lexington (KY) Henry Clay OL 6-4/292 list

10 Sam Watts Conyers (GA) Salem OL 6-5/290 -------- Mississippi State

The point in listing this, is that there is no way a sub-200 lb lineman is going to make it in major college football, Again, in high school, sure they can exist, we've all seen em. However I guarantee you one thing about almost every (if not all) guy on this list. The live in the weight room, they listen to their coaches, and they work their tail off. There is no substitute for hard work and good nutrition.

Detard
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I think there may be some confusion going on right now. From my understanding, the OP is going into grade 9. A highschool freshman. I think will is talking about college?

WillNoble
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
indeed the OP is 9th grade, my point, as Ive tried to make repeatedly to some of the other posters on here, is that he needs to get in the weightroom, work hard and EAT. Some in here get that, and some dont.

It doesnt matter what grade he's in, however Im pointing out, that if he wants to succeed as a lineman, his current weight is grossly insufficient, and in 3 short years, he will be expected to be on par with other lineman across the country, should he want to play college ball (again a gross assumption, but one Im willing to wager on).

My posts are more a statement of the current climate of internet forums in general, and todays youth's unwillingness to do it the hard way.

Detard
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with will. Even though he is going into grade 9, why not get a head start and get huge NOW, instead of having to play catch up when he gets older. Plus, even if he does get huge now, he'll just be tossing kids around and getting more attention on himself. Eat up bud!

WillNoble
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I agree with will. Even though he is going into grade 9, why not get a head start and get huge NOW, instead of having to play catch up when he gets older. Plus, even if he does get huge now, he'll just be tossing kids around and getting more attention on himself. Eat up bud!

Bravo to you sir

CrazyK
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
The BGB routine is actually not a bad routine to go off of. I did this prior to my senior year, while doing some modification to it to add some speed work. For you just the BGB routine provides a very balanced approach that will develop things that most football players ignore when they're young. The back and the hams.

weasel
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Endurance training for a guy that weighs 175 and trying to play on the line???

ya...he doesn't have size he need to be able to fire off very well and wear on the bigger people. hitting hard,fast hitting lower useually leads to winning in the trenches. He's just a freshmen in high school meaning he's only 14 or so he has plenty of time to grow before college (3-4years). he needs to be able to run sprint well but needs to have endurance especially depending on exactly what position he plays a pulling gaurd if he's doing his job right will rack up quite a bit of running and he cant loaf about doin it.

do endurance training but not so much that your loseing weight doing it. get a good lifting routine goin and eat like a horse. then coem football season prove your worth to the caoches anytime they need a volunteer step up and show them. you may not always be the biggest or even the strongest doesn't mean you cant be a dang good linemen.

one of our better linemen also wrestled...the weight was 189 so i know his weight for certain he played in the SR. bowl for our area going to college and will be on the team(not full ride or anything but he made the team) 2nd in the 4X100relay for oklahoma and we won state as a team in 2A.... you just cant compare the best linemen in the nation to someone going into the 9th grade.

WillNoble
07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
ya...he doesn't have size he need to be able to fire off very well and wear on the bigger people. hitting hard,fast hitting lower useually leads to winning in the trenches.

which may account for something in freshman or JV football. I will continue stating that a 175lb. lineman will not succeed on a national level...PERIOD

You are a fool if you think so.

He's just a freshmen in high school meaning he's only 14 or so he has plenty of time to grow before college (3-4years).

3 years (if he is a freshman now) is a blink of an eye, to overcome the almost hundred pounds or so he needs to have, again, you being a high schooler yourself have little knowledge of the implications of this (even if you THINK that you do)

he needs to be able to run sprint well but needs to have endurance especially depending on exactly what position he plays a pulling gaurd if he's doing his job right will rack up quite a bit of running and he cant loaf about doin it.

If you honestly think that being able to run long distances has any sort of relevence to playing offensive line, then you are a bigger idiot than I had initially thought. Your typical football play lasts on average just a little over 4-5 seconds (shorter in high school), with at least a 20 second break in between (obviously excluding no-huddle, hurry-up, or 2 minute drill) in college or during any televised gameplay this time will be signifigantly longer. Long distance running utilizes a completely different energy system (aerobic vs. anaerobic) than anything related to playing linemen, in which you are expected to every 25 seconds drive off the ball and hit, or run for 4-5 seconds with maximal effort, then taking another 25 second break... LONG DISTANCE RUNNING WILL NOT IMPROVE ANAEROBIC CONDITIONING

do endurance training but not so much that your loseing weight doing it. get a good lifting routine goin and eat like a horse. then coem football season prove your worth to the caoches anytime they need a volunteer step up and show them. you may not always be the biggest or even the strongest doesn't mean you cant be a dang good linemen.

If the OP wants in anyway to be good at football, please disregard anything else this individual thinks or posts...you will not get better, you will not get stronger, and you will definitely not grow if all you are doing is running long distances.

Again, listen to your coaches, eat, lift, and if you're looking for a good program look up Defranco's WS4SB, you'll be glad you did.

you just cant compare the best linemen in the nation to someone going into the 9th grade.

Yes you can, everyone who wants to succeed needs goals, if you never look at the top athletes in your given sport, how will you know what you need to shoot for. Again 3 years is a blink of an eye, any experienced individual on this forum will tell you that. It would behoove the OP to do a few things:

1) Do not listen to Weasel if you want to succeed at football

2) Sit down with one of your coaches. Evaluate your goals and ask him for help in achieving them.

3) Go around and ask many of the veteran members of this board any questions you have, most would be happy to help you

4) Work Hard, eat harder

5) See #1

gauchos21
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
175 isn't that bad as a freshmen. I turn 16 in december and i'm 6'2 240 and play d-end. I'm gonna be a junior next year. When i came in as a freshmen, I was about 180-190, just eat and work hard and you'll get bigger. As for working out, do the main lifts like deadlifts, squats,bench press, and power cleans. The other stuff is cool too, just make sure these main ones are incorporated into your workout.

weasel
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
apparently no ones see what i'm getting at....and he has 4 yeards he's 14 going to be a freshmen(school or high school football hasn't started)

yes he's at 175 right now but he's a freshmen......4-5years before he will have the chance to play college level

sorry if you feel offended by me saying he needs to be in SHAPE. i didn't jsut say go run miles after miles i told him 1-2miles to help build endurance.I also said sprints,eating, as well as lifting.

again sorry if you guys are offended or disagree everyone can have thier opinion, but especially down here in okie heat 96-105degree practices being in good shape is a must.he can listen or not listen i dont really care no skin off my back. this all being said i do respect you, your acheivements, and what you've done but all linemen aren't gonna be 300lbs beast especially in high school ball.

Ben Moore
07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
and what you've done but all linemen aren't gonna be 300lbs beast especially in high school ball.

You haven't played ball in North Texas then. I went against 300lb guys as a freshman. Where do you think alot of schools recruit from?

WillNoble
07-22-2008, 04:12 PM
You haven't played ball in North Texas then. I went against 300lb guys as a freshman. Where do you think alot of schools recruit from?

Apparently not from his school seeing as he is ALSO a sub 200lb. lineman with a 6.1 + sec. 40yd.

I'm From Oklahoma I weigh around 175-185(depending the sport thats going on) and I'm approx 5'10.

6-6.18 Last year...

... not super fast but for a linemen it's decent.

(forgot to mention it was electronic)

jed
07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
hey will, just interested... what did you weigh in as a freshman in high school, to senior year, then how much did you put on during college? were you naturally big all your life?

WillNoble
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I was around 6'1" 260lbs when I started high school, got up to around 290 at my highest in high school, trimmed down to 6'4" 245-260 Sr. year to play defensive end, went to college for offensive line at 280ish, finished college at 325.

I was in a AAAA (at the time the biggest classification) High School in central Kentucky, and to echo what Ben said, I regularly saw 300lb. Def. and Off. Linemen. 225-260 Linebackers and Fullbacks were also common. Our rival High School was where Shaun Alexander played. We played some very very good athletes that went onto some of the best schools in the country (Ohio State, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennesee, etc.)

weasel
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I choose to stay under 200lbs I do tons of cardio and watch my diet. I'm also a wrestler and I like to stay down to weight.

my school is full of great athletes....state track champs right now in fact I'm sitting here with the ring on my finger...I attended games where we played against wes welker and plenty of other current pro's.quite a few okies are dang good football players. We ahve one of the best college football teams in the nation OSU wrestleing team if 1st or 2nd in the nation in wrestleing every year.but I've wrestled people in north Texas and thrown agaisnt quite a few of them.

300lb 14 yr. old (age of a highschool freshmen) is freakishly large in my opinion.you see the #67 on my chest in my display pic I'm a offensive gaurd, I also wrestle and throw for track. lots of HUGE disc throwers as well, but with really good form and training hard you can be as good or better than them.I realize this is primarily a lifting type forum where MOST people are fairly large people. I wrestled a 260lb person in a exhibition match my coach asked if i was up to it and I was ready for a match ended up winning that as well theres pictures to prove this. state wrestleing meet our 215 was injured and I ended up bumping from 189 to wrestle there.

4-5 years is plenty of time to bulk and no where at all did i tell him not to try to increase his size in fact i even said to eat,lift,etc.... only thing i said that varied in the least from anyone else was to run 1-2miles a day it's not hard takes under10minutes of time.

I simply tried to state my opinion just as everyone else did and I got bashed for it.Tried to say it as respectfully as possible but that didn't seem to work.he can take the advice and run daily or not like i said no skin off my back running a mile or so a day isn't gonna make you start dramatically loseing weight.

if you disagree with what i post no need to bash it just simply say you disagree...heck I love training advice as well on certain stuff constanly scanning here for advice on lifting and such...but you can check out my run log my enderance and speed has went through the roof since i started my running already met my goal of the summer and i feel amazing.later in the year i'm gonna time a 40 and i'll see what i'm to the 6.18 was over a year back and before i started my new running routine.

Ben Moore
07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
No one's bashing anyone - it's just that I think you and Will have 2 different veiwpoints on what goals this young man should try to achieve. Will's are considerably higher aspirations. You're are more along the lines of health in general. I still disagree for a lineman to be running even 1 mile, but hey, tht's just me.

weasel
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
well i was called idiotic and such.

yes we just have diffrent views on it i believe he should bulk up as well and of course lifting. yes i'm under 200lbs and i'm a high school level linemen myself if i had much of a choice i'd already bulked my ass to 250 but my wrestleing career keeps that from happening currently i'm about to begin my bulk back to 190(max i can weigh in for 189 after the 1lb allowance.)I respect wills opinion and his advice he seems very knowledged on the subject and has experiance in it. I'm not planning on football in college I might wrestle or throw if i can make it so i dotn plan to bulk past 200.

jed
07-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I was around 6'1" 260lbs when I started high school, got up to around 290 at my highest in high school, trimmed down to 6'4" 245-260 Sr. year to play defensive end, went to college for offensive line at 280ish, finished college at 325.

I was in a AAAA (at the time the biggest classification) High School in central Kentucky, and to echo what Ben said, I regularly saw 300lb. Def. and Off. Linemen. 225-260 Linebackers and Fullbacks were also common. Our rival High School was where Shaun Alexander played. We played some very very good athletes that went onto some of the best schools in the country (Ohio State, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennesee, etc.)

thats tight man. interesting to see that you trimmed down to play defense only to get an offensive scholarship! you started both ways in a 4a school, thats darned impressive. its amazing to kno that that size lineman was common, and the 225-260 fb/lb is almost unbeleiveable! gotta be good to play in those schools obviously!

WillNoble
07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
so i dotn plan to bulk past 200.

then why are you even attempting to offer solutions, based on your current m.o. to someone looking to bulk...quite absurd

WillNoble
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
thats tight man. interesting to see that you trimmed down to play defense only to get an offensive scholarship! you started both ways in a 4a school, thats darned impressive. its amazing to kno that that size lineman was common, and the 225-260 fb/lb is almost unbeleiveable! gotta be good to play in those schools obviously!

Thanks man, yeah we played all the schools in Lexington, and then many of the better schools from Eastern Kentucky. There were some massive kids in H.S. granted this was 8 years ago, so I can only imagine where they are at now. Don't get me wrong you would see a fair amount of sub-200 lb. players, but mostly they were WR's, DB's, Kickers, or JV players

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
i was exactly your size going into my freshman year of highschool. now 2 years later im going into my junior year and im 6' 1'' and 255 pounds and starting the recruiting process. So dont worry about it. All you need to do is learn how to power clean, bench press, squat, deadlift, romanian deadlift, snatch, miltary press, v-bar rows, lat pulldowns/pullups, bb or db rows. those are the most important lifts to do. learn the form with no more than 65 lbs. then start out by doing no less than 3x 10. then in a couple of months do one set of 10 one of 8 then one of 6. As your form gets better do more weight less reps. jump rope run sprints. dont go over 30 yards though cause thats how you pull muscles. Jump rope, box jumps,and broad jumps those are good. do the i test were you set up 3 cones 5 yards apart start in the middle run to the right or left, then go opposite of where you just went then finish throught the middle cone. dont neglect the spped aspect of football. you dont need to run 1 mile either. don't listen to weasel any guy who is under 200 pounds and runs a 6.1 is not good. im 255 like i said and ran a 5.1 a month and half ago. kids on my team that are 280 run 5.4's.FOOTBALL PLAYERS AREN"T POWERLIFTERS. people get so obsessed with how much they can lift they forget speed and quickness. if you line up a guy who can bench press 1,000 pounds against glenn dorsey. glenn dorsey will destroy him because he probably is quicker faster has more stamina and doesn't have pudgy little arms. As a lineman you need to be big, strong, quick, fast and down right nasty. Talk to your coaches or somebody practice the lifts above. and become a freak.

p.s. Don't forget to take protein shakes, multi vitamins, and fish oil. and eat a lot of dairy, meat, whole wheat bread and pasta, fruits, vegetables, and nuts

weasel
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
don't listen to weasel any guy who is under 200 pounds and runs a 6.1 is not good.

well until I see you run a 5.4 (electronic timed not hand) your just another person popping off. I have plenty of medal hanging around showing my abilities at sports even got a ring on my finger. my display pic shows my size and even shows my number way i see it you have 6 post (counting this one) no pics or proof of anything you've said post some vids of your running ability or thing before popping off about how "good" people are good friend of mine wrestled at 189 his Sr. year also played as a linemen for our team is off to play some college ball right now

say what you want but you have no idea how "good" I am and until you prove otherwise it's just mouthing.

WillNoble
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
seriously kid You are a useless waste of oxygen

no pics or proof of anything you've said

but seeing as you're wanting some proof here is an image prior to my final year at the University of Kentucky, followed by some training/meet images, then some recent training images from 1-0-7 Barbell...

http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00686/04/70/686080740_l.jpg

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00686/93/10/686080139_l.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v14/217/14/12912602/n12912602_30002005_6495.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5690/1002496wj3.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5375/1002511ej4.jpg

and now for some videos, while these are not football, they are most certainly more than anything you will ever amount to in the wasted existence you refer to as life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Pb4_XZwW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kLfCVU4FdE

Please note that my 40 time while hand timed, was at 150lbs. heavier than you espouse to be and took place during an NFL pro day, let alone will I mention that it was almost a full second faster than yours...you are nothing kid, you will be a failure, and as a 180lb. lineman, you have NO chance of making it in college ball...you are, to sum up in one word....pathetic...

lineman76
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone,
I am an incoming high school sophmore Im 6'2" 250. my bench max is 300 and squat is 475. anyone have any ideas on how to increase my squat max and or bench max besides that 30 day program thing? also should i be taking some kind of supplements even though i am a little on the heavy side?
thanks for the help

Reko
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
my display pic shows my size and even shows my number way i see it you have 6 post (counting this one) no pics or proof of anything you've said post some vids of your running ability or thing before popping off about how "good" people are good friend of mine wrestled at 189 his Sr. year also played as a linemen for our team is off to play some college ball right now

WOOOO HOOOO go 79th post with a run on sentance!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/K_reko34/weasel.jpg

But really... advice dog says....
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/K_reko34/weasel2.jpg

jed
07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
i dont udnerstand... is weasel saying a 6.1 or even a 5.4 is a good 40 time? no doubt 5.4 at 300 lbs is respectable, but for anyone sub-250...

REKO, 79 is my football number!!! how ironic.

Reko
07-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone,
I am an incoming high school sophmore Im 6'2" 250. my bench max is 300 and squat is 475. anyone have any ideas on how to increase my squat max and or bench max besides that 30 day program thing? also should i be taking some kind of supplements even though i am a little on the heavy side?
thanks for the help

Just so your question doesn't get lost in the fold....

Ask Ben, Will, or maybe Bo it seems like they have been through this (or are doing it now) and can give you some good advice regarding it. If you want to just increase your squat, the PL forum will be very helpful, but to make your squat more transferable into football (or what to do off the field to help on) talk to these guys,

lineman76
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
thanks for the help and I will do that.

weasel
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
but seeing as you're wanting some proof here is an image prior to my final year at the University of Kentucky,

was i talking to you at when i said that?no were did I say i didn't believe you even went as far as to say.

i do respect you, your achievements, and what you've done .

try being respectful and decent to people but you seem to be getting more and more like a a $$hat as it progresses. frankly I dont care to play college ball might do a little throwing or wrestleing if and where i can. I dont have to have a football scholarship 3.8+ GPA and 28 act score (last year) being in the highway patrol or other law enforcement agencies as has most of my family frankly i don't give a rats ass if you bench 2000lbs. anything that bleeds can be stopped.

Reko
07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Blap Blap!

WillNoble
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
he really needs to go cry and fail in several other threads reko, he hasnt yet failed hard enough at this one

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
weasel go on to nextstepcollegesports.com go to players and videos on the left hand side. In a few days my profile should be up. My name is brett anderson on there. and from what ive read is that hand timing makes you slower then you are. so i would run faster then a 5.1 on electronic timing because most hand timers are off by a tad bit. ill try to put my picks in my profile. i cant figure out how to get them on here. and i dont care if you believe me cause your not a college scout, one of my coaches or teammates. next time save yourself the embarrasment and dont say you run a 6.1. im number 64 in my pictures. Starting as a 225 pound sophomore at right guard. and i was hurt the whole year with a fractured right ischium. i played in the first seven games but then i had to call it quits for the season because i was at about 50 percent. during spring ball i fractured my right ischium. what are the odds of that. same injury but different sides. imm almost 100 percent healthy. ill be playing at 255 this year and hopefully 285 my senior year. and nobody cares about your gpa or act. this isnt an academic website. check out the website everyday for the next two weeks cause i dont know when my page will be completed. Any other smart ass questions?

p.s. sorry i dont sit around blogging on a weightlifting website. maybe thats why your so unathletic

Reko
07-30-2008, 10:24 PM
he really needs to go cry and fail in several other threads reko, he hasnt yet failed hard enough at this one

We could make a thread about life. How about that?

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
im not trying to write a novel but weasel asked about me so i had to let him kno. how do your pictures show up. i have a profile picture but it doesn't show up when i post

Reko
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
im not trying to write a novel but weasel asked about me so i had to let him kno. how do your pictures show up. i have a profile picture but it doesn't show up when i post

you need to upload the pictures to a site like photobucket or something, an then grab the "direct link" under the picture. Copy it, and then click the image button above the reply box and paste the link in the box that pops up.

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
nevermind im not to computer savy. just click my profile name if you want to see my picture weasel

weasel
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM

I got a pretty good life way i see it. clearly since you 26 and all you have to do is be a prick over the internet it clearly shows the lack of one by you.

go to photobucket or tinypic to upload photo's.

reko if you wantmake the thread, i'd be happy to post in a "life" thread mine is going pretty good how bout you?

weasel
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
heres you pic brett your trying to show.

http://i34.tinypic.com/vza4c5.jpg

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
thank you weasel. hahaha. its funny how one kid asks for help to be a better linemen and other random people get pissed at each other.

Reko
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Im antagonizing and being a smartass.

i never played football.

Theres my full disclosure.

Reko
07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
reko if you wantmake the thread, i'd be happy to post in a "life" thread mine is going pretty good how bout you?

Its fantastic thanks for asking.
I got a 31. I win.

Ben Moore
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
LOL, Weasel, why keep at this man? Clearly there are some issues better left as disagreements. I'd suggest just dropping it big man.

weasel
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
LOL, Weasel, why keep at this man? Clearly there are some issues better left as disagreements. I'd suggest just dropping it big man.

yup this is my last post to this thread tried to keep it as friendly as i could but not happening.

reko 31 very nice score.... my goal is 29-30 before the year is out.

WillNoble
07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
yup this is my last post to this thread tried

if you would have figured this out some time ago, you could've saved yourself some embarrassment...

Sean Hatley
08-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Its fantastic thanks for asking.
I got a 31. I win.

Oh thats right. That just happended.

Sean Hatley
08-01-2008, 05:35 AM
yup this is my last post to this thread tried to keep it as friendly as i could but not happening.

reko 31 very nice score.... my goal is 29-30 before the year is out.

Ah man i miss all the fun.
As for friendly it seems you didnt ry hard enough. Instead of listening to some advise from people with plentiful Knowledge on the subject you seemed to come back with, ah your full of it, wheres your pics, im right your wrong, blah blah blah.

Reko
08-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Ah man i miss all the fun.
As for friendly it seems you didnt ry hard enough. Instead of listening to some advise from people with plentiful Knowledge on the subject you seemed to come back with, ah your full of it, wheres your pics, im right your wrong, blah blah blah.

latefag is a latefag

WillNoble
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
latefag is a latefag

^^^^

Lineman 75
01-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Im about 230 5'8 or 5'9 and i really need to get more upper body strength for my varsity year,here are my lifting abilities... my bench is weak

Bench:145
Squat:305(haven't fully maxed yet)
Deadlift:405
Cleans:135

Please help i really need more upper body strength

Counterweight
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Im about 230 5'8 or 5'9 and i really need to get more upper body strength for my varsity year,here are my lifting abilities... my bench is weak

Bench:145
Squat:305(haven't fully maxed yet)
Deadlift:405
Cleans:135

Please help i really need more upper body strength

I'd say you have a lot of work to do. Do WSB4SB, it'll keep you agile but increase your bench as well as all your other lifts, if you do the strength and conditioning template.

Other than that, just try and get stronger? I don't really know what position you play so I can't really give specific information.

BigRic
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
There really was no point in listing those O-lineman. Generally the top recruits at O-lineman are guys that have matured before everyone they've basically been the biggest kid their whole life. I played 4 years D-1 Ball and we've had two O-tackles come in at around 6-7 and about 230 pounds. One is already a starter and the second will be a starter someday. They probably played this previous year at about 270 or 280 which isn't very heavy at 6'8 but they were effective.

coach falcon
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Do your squats, deadlift, power cleans, box squats, and bench press variations and you'll develop into a good lineman. Work with your coaches, practice, train, and play hard. If your body grows into the size of a D1 lineman, good, if not then you'll have a lot of success at the high school level. You'll have the discipline to be successful in life. Maybe more importantly, you'll have the realization that listening to morons piss and moan about who is better or stronger than the next guy behind the anonymity of a website is a giant waste of time.

Listen to those that are trying to help you. Oh, before you think I don't know what I'm talking about, I coach high school football. I am the O-line coach and the defensive coordinator for a team that went to the 2A semi-finals in Illinois in 2009.