PDA

View Full Version : how much $$$ does your bulk cost?

datboychevy
07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
ok so im a broke college student. I was on a bulking diet for almost 2 months, it was working great, im a very hardgainer, i was eating 4000+ calories a day. but it was costing me too much money in food. i stopped the diet about a month ago. i may start lifting again. but wanna know how much everybody else is spending.... i was spending $25+ a week in skim milk alone...lol

deeder
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Bulking on skim milk? There's your problem...

datboychevy
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
it has almost no fat and 2400 cal a gallon, i thought it was a good thing???

deeder
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
it has almost no fat and 2400 cal a gallon, i thought it was a good thing???

Why are you avoiding fat? If you're worried about cost for calories, switch that skim milk for whole milk... Or even 2%. Fat has lots of calories and despite what you may think, eating fat will not get you fat.

datboychevy
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
thanks, ill switch when i start up again.....

deeder
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
thanks, ill switch when i start up again.....

Good stuff man.

Another thing, I know a few people who consider themselves hardgainers and the biggest problem is consistency. Who knows, had you stayed on the bulking diet and training you might have been up 5lbs now.

No more excuses. Get your ass to the gym and lift weights and eat like you mean it.

jAy_Dub
07-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm also a "broke college student". I'm not bulking at the moment but I'm also only spending $40 a week on food. I'm sure if I was bulking it'd be more like $60. Thats pretty damn cheap if you ask me.

Davey
07-12-2008, 08:57 AM
ok so im a broke college student. I was on a bulking diet for almost 2 months, it was working great, im a very hardgainer, i was eating 4000+ calories a day. but it was costing me too much money in food. i stopped the diet about a month ago. i may start lifting again. but wanna know how much everybody else is spending.... i was spending $25+ a week in skim milk alone...lol

my bulk doesn't cost that much, actually it costs 20% more than my maintenance cost because that's exactly how many more calories I take in.

Don't do what a lot of people on here say and eat everything in sight, you're going to gain a **** load of fat if you eat 5,000 or more calories. all you need is to eat 20% more for a clean bulk.

i got fat by eating chicken, tuna, eggs, rice and oatmeal lol

cphafner
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
The secret I learned in college was buying in bulk and freezing food. Even to this day, I still do it. There is chicken, beef, and steak in the freezer. None of which costs me more than $2 a lb. When it goes on sale I stock up. A vacuum sealer is a godsend.

Other than that, there are plenty of cheap foods out that. I used to live on milk in college, but now it's damn expensive. Plenty of cheap options. Stock up on tuna, rice, oatmeal, olive oil, mac n cheese, etc. Buy stuff when it goes on sale and stock up.

SpecialK
07-12-2008, 10:28 AM
The secret I learned in college was buying in bulk and freezing food. Even to this day, I still do it. There is chicken, beef, and steak in the freezer. None of which costs me more than $2 a lb. When it goes on sale I stock up. A vacuum sealer is a godsend.

Other than that, there are plenty of cheap foods out that. I used to live on milk in college, but now it's damn expensive. Plenty of cheap options. Stock up on tuna, rice, oatmeal, olive oil, mac n cheese, etc. Buy stuff when it goes on sale and stock up.

Wow, I've never seen steak, beef, or chicken on sale for $2/lb at any grocery store I have ever shopped at.

cphafner
07-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Wow, I've never seen steak, beef, or chicken on sale for $2/lb at any grocery store I have ever shopped at.

There are 3 supermarkets near me. One of them always has something on sale. Last week chix, 80% beef, and london broil were all 1.99 for 3+ lb family packs. This week they are buy 1 get 1 free, which is about 2.50 a lb.