PDA

View Full Version : knee problems on the squat

Lones Green
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
any time i get under a weight above 405 with a straight bar, my left knee wants to come in on me. i've dislocated the patella in it a couple times, and everything in my knee is kind of "loose." i push my knees out hard on the way down, hit depth, and right as i start coming up it comes in a tiny bit and then goes back out. i've spent a few months on trying to perfect my squat form, and as far as it goes, this is about my last major thing wrong. (except maybe leaning a bit forward) should i stick to TKE's and heel touches off a box, or what? if anyone has any info it'd be greatly appreciated. thanks!

WillKuenzel
07-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Sometimes the knee wanting to knock in can come from a weakness in the glutes, especially when your around depth. You can do your DE squats with a mini band doubled up around your knees to help work on keeping those knees out. I'd had another guy recommend to me just sitting on a box about parallel and doing those abductor exercises that you usually see the girls doing but just with bands. Doing more high rep work and increasing the tension of the band.

It might also be a flexibility issue with the groin. Stretch it out a bit prior to squatting to see if that helps get the knees to open up a bit easier.

How far out do you point your toes? You can point them out a bit more to help you push the knees out. Once things get easier you can work on bringing the toes back in as your form gets better.

Lones Green
07-11-2008, 06:31 AM
thanks for the info homey. its not a flexibility issue, my groin and hips are very flexible and i always stretch em out. i also do band abduction pretty regularly. i point my toes outward a BIT, but pointing them even further out is an idea i will try. also, DE squats with the doubled minis around my knees sound like an awesome idea, i will try it this week for sure.

Sensei
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Great suggestions from HomeYield.

You might try some IT band, hamstring, and glute stretches too.

For some people, thinking "external hip rotation" and driving the knees out actively, can really help engage the hips and lock you into the proper groove. It should also help your lower back positioning.

RhodeHouse
07-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Yup - what they said. Really try to focus on keeping the knees out. i know it sounds simple, but all the ideas above should help.

Lones Green
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
thanks for the info guys. i will definetely try all of this.

SGT ROCK
07-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Most importantly..SEE A DOCTOR, get a referral to an ortho with a sports med background, he will decide if you need an MRI which would be a good thing to get, no guesswork. If there is no severe damage, I find box squats sitting back are good, as the knee never crosses over the plane of the feet so to speak. Try wrapping knees light as well, but def see a doctor, its not worth the risk.

Semper Fi

Lones Green
07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Most importantly..SEE A DOCTOR, get a referral to an ortho with a sports med background, he will decide if you need an MRI which would be a good thing to get, no guesswork. If there is no severe damage, I find box squats sitting back are good, as the knee never crosses over the plane of the feet so to speak. Try wrapping knees light as well, but def see a doctor, its not worth the risk.

Semper Fi

when i dislocated my patella i went and saw 2 doctors. the first said i needed to have a lateral release very soon, and the second said i would be fine with a bit of rehab. so i did some rehab and its always been fine. the tendons are just very loose in my knee, so its kind of iffy on heavy squats. i've been doing stuff like TKE's with a band, stretches, foam rolling, heel touches, 40 rep leg extensions and calf raises, and numerous other exercises and movements to try and strengthen my knees. i haven't been wrapping my knees hardly at all during training, but when i start getting heavy from now on i think i will take your advice and try a light knee wrap. cant hurt!

thanks for the advice!