PDA

View Full Version : Westside for a newb

BFGUITAR
07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
My friend who isn't the most workout savvy is coming to workout with me on a regular basis. I am doing westside and wanted to know of ways to suit his needs.

I am thinking on DE days instead of speed work to do high reps instead and on ME day do maybe 2-3 sets of 5 reps. What do you guys think? I don't want him to do a different routine than me for simplicity sake. All accessory lifts will be the same.

Isaac Wilkins
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
My friend who isn't the most workout savvy is coming to workout with me on a regular basis. I am doing westside and wanted to know of ways to suit his needs.

I am thinking on DE days instead of speed work to do high reps instead and on ME day do maybe 2-3 sets of 5 reps. What do you guys think? I don't want him to do a different routine than me for simplicity sake. All accessory lifts will be the same.

That's a pretty good approach. Most beginners can't really dial it in enough for DE work or true ME work.

motoko013
07-11-2008, 05:38 PM
that sounds like a good plan...at least you can get them to do squats and deadlifts. when i tell my roommate "squats first today" he thinks of a new excuse (hurt ankle, hurt knee, shin splints, ect) to not do them and ends up doing some foo foo iso work...bleh

HP666
07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Any beginner should build a solid foundation first. I don't know what his goals are but he/you guys should definitely read this article by Matt Rhodes: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

BFGUITAR
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
He wants to squat and deadlift. He's 100% committed to this.