PDA

View Full Version : Speed Day

kingkong51
07-11-2008, 06:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBbI51I81bM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBbI51I81bM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

strongkid963
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBbI51I81bM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBbI51I81bM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[youtube]

doesnt work

kingkong51
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
sorry got it right finally

Cricket_Fire
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Noone has any business moving that much weight that fast :D

Nice work Robert!

Travis Bell
07-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Lookin good Rob!! Keep it up

youngguns
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
what were the weights on those lifts? looked like a good bit of it, strong. keep up the great work.

Ben Moore
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
That's just nutty man. Awesome work

Travis Bell
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
looked like 315 and 405 bar weight. Rob is one strong boy.

AdamBAG
07-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's impressive!

mike42506
07-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Wow, that's impressive!

Seconded

thewicked
07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
lol damn! mama been feeding that one! WOW! ROB you never fail to blow me away with your power..that was SICK AS HELL!

Erik 23
07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Pure Power thats some good lifting Rob do you follow a set westside style on speed day for your weights or do you just kind of go by feel Im asking cause that i thought was a lot of weight for speed work.

Travis Bell
07-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I'll wait for Rob to answer as to whether he trains to a Westside template or not, but Erik, this is a point we've hammered on here before. Rob is a prime example that the percentages can be bent if you can move the weight fast. So long as the weight is quick, you're good to go. Thats why I tell people more times than not, forget the percents. If 50% is slow, then its too heavy. Like Rob here, some will be able to move alot higher percentages without slowing down.

Erik 23
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I'll wait for Rob to answer as to whether he trains to a Westside template or not, but Erik, this is a point we've hammered on here before. Rob is a prime example that the percentages can be bent if you can move the weight fast. So long as the weight is quick, you're good to go. Thats why I tell people more times than not, forget the percents. If 50% is slow, then its too heavy. Like Rob here, some will be able to move alot higher percentages without slowing down.

Thanx Travis for give me for asking a question that you all probally already covered if you all did already i didnt see the thread i have noticed that a lot of people dont neccesarily stick to the 50 5 or 60% rule of thumb i thought i seen mike wolfe say he hasnt done a straight up DE day in a while also ive lately been experimenting also with De day like my De day might be something like 315 for 8-9 sets of 3 but i can move much heavier weight just as fast so i guess you go by feel then.

kingkong51
07-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Pure Power thats some good lifting Rob do you follow a set westside style on speed day for your weights or do you just kind of go by feel Im asking cause that i thought was a lot of weight for speed work.
Yes and no to your question. Yes I take some westside principles and apply them to my training but no in the frequency of training.

Erik 23
07-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Yes and no to your question. Yes I take some westside principles and apply them to my training but no in the frequency of training.

Ok thanx for the response i guess you just have to find out what works best for you for speed day see i usually go no higher than the recommended 60% that i read about but i guess its what ever you can move fast enough within 3 seconds like for instance if my speed work is like 315 and i can go 350 just as fast then i guess i should go 350 then right? i know you dont wanna go to heavy on speed days but i guess if you can go a little heavier and move the weight just as fast then why not do it.

Travis Bell
07-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanx Travis for give me for asking a question that you all probally already covered if you all did already i didnt see the thread i have noticed that a lot of people dont neccesarily stick to the 50 5 or 60% rule of thumb i thought i seen mike wolfe say he hasnt done a straight up DE day in a while also ive lately been experimenting also with De day like my De day might be something like 315 for 8-9 sets of 3 but i can move much heavier weight just as fast so i guess you go by feel then.

Well to be honest, having seen some of your videos in the past, my guess would be that is much too heavy for you. You tend to short stroke and not really lock stuff out. Could be wrong I guess but just my 2 cents

Erik 23
07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Well to be honest, having seen some of your videos in the past, my guess would be that is much too heavy for you. You tend to short stroke and not really lock stuff out. Could be wrong I guess but just my 2 cents

Travis i fixed that lockout problem i make sure i lock out everything now. next time i make a video ill show you.Why do you say that is too heavy for me? i can move over 315 pretty fast Thats why i was asking do you go by feel when i do my speed work im pretty explosive, either way i respect your opinion. just curious though what would you say i take in weight for my speed work? also i dont use the bands anymore and i only got like 50 lbs of chain. So i only been using the chains with the weight or straight weight. ill make a speed video if you want to see how fast i move with the weight.

Travis Bell
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
So long as you are moving it fast then I guess its fine. I would be interested to see video. It does make a difference that you are only using 50lbs of chain, that would make it possible to move the bar weight up a little so I should probably reserve judgement til I've seen your speed bench. It is good that you are focusing on locking weight out now though

kingkong51
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Now for me weights between 315 to 405 I move with great speed. My whole concept is I set Speed Rep weight inceases which in the long term help my bench. I Know that if I can move 405 plus chains with controlled speed then I know its going to benefit me. Now I will never go any hire then 405 might try 425 for a set see how fast it is but thats the highest I go because I dont want to over train my chest. Now sometimes I do reverse band bench and sometimes floor presses for a switch up but I mostly focus on bands and chains for speed. Travis got me hooked on chains for speed because chains keep you in your groove and with bands they tend to throw you out of groove.

Erik 23
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Now for me weights between 315 to 405 I move with great speed. My whole concept is I set Speed Rep weight inceases which in the long term help my bench. I Know that if I can move 405 plus chains with controlled speed then I know its going to benefit me. Now I will never go any hire then 405 might try 425 for a set see how fast it is but thats the highest I go because I dont want to over train my chest. Now sometimes I do reverse band bench and sometimes floor presses for a switch up but I mostly focus on bands and chains for speed. Travis got me hooked on chains for speed because chains keep you in your groove and with bands they tend to throw you out of groove. Thanx Rob i see what your saying you kinda can tell i guess by how fast you move the weight for speed work thats interesting though that you never really go above 405 in straight weight so you kind of set a limit i guess so you dont really slow down.

So long as you are moving it fast then I guess its fine. I would be interested to see video. It does make a difference that you are only using 50lbs of chain, that would make it possible to move the bar weight up a little so I should probably reserve judgement til I've seen your speed bench. It is good that you are focusing on locking weight out now though

Thanx Travis ill make a video for you.Forgive me if i sounded kinda harsh i was just wondering why you thought it was to heavy as i can move the weight pretty fast.Thanx for the response though im always willing to listen to lifters such as yourself i know your a lot more knowledgable with training then i am so i appreciate the Help

thewicked
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
my speed days go two ways..i rotate very LIGHT weight with juggling grips for speed and then the next week do heavy triples as fast as possible. The moment the weight starts to slow down I stop. So far so good..i'll see if it picks up. HOWEVER! I was doing the 50% of 1rm for speed and like travis said, it was just too heavy...the cycle where I went with 135 for my speed work, my bench went up 15lbs...speed is where it's at. You want to go heavy...that's what an ME day is for.