PDA

View Full Version : Groin pain while doing squats

AJ_H
07-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I found an internet café in greece :)

I perform squats not sumo-style but with a fairly wide stance. My toes are also pointed outwards rather than directly in front. The pain in my groin happens in the middle of the move on the way up but not at all at the bottom. Today I stretched my groin a lot first but it didn't help ... is there something wrong with my technique?

Ben Moore
07-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Wide stance squats put a lot of pressure on the hips and groin. Try some briefs or bring your stance in a bit.

Klotz
07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I'd recommend a narrower stance.

RhodeHouse
07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Make sure to do a really good job of stretching your glutes. I have a similar problem. My glute is not firing properly, because it's so tight. Get the hamstrings and glutes stretched very well before you squat. You should take about 20 minutes of stretching and moving to get warm-up EVERY TIME YOU LIFT. Make sure to stretch on non-lifting days, as well.

Lones Green
07-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Make sure to do a really good job of stretching your glutes. I have a similar problem. My glute is not firing properly, because it's so tight. Get the hamstrings and glutes stretched very well before you squat. You should take about 20 minutes of stretching and moving to get warm-up EVERY TIME YOU LIFT. Make sure to stretch on non-lifting days, as well.

good call big guy. when i saw the title i said, this almost has to be an issue of stretching. try that, and also like Ben said, squatting very wide without briefs is HELL on the hips and groin. even if its just single ply frantz briefs, it will be better than nothing