PDA

View Full Version : How long can you hold your breath underwater?

Szust
07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Just wondering out of curiosity. I clocked in at 1:30 when out with my cousins at the beach last week.

Willie
07-13-2008, 01:19 AM
It varies. If I a just laying on the bottom of a pool, a little more than 2 minutes. If I'm swimming hard, a little less than 1.

Just FYI the world records are::

* Static Apnea
women: Natalia Molchanova (Russia), 8m00s
men: Tom Sietas (Germany), 10m12s

Yes, that's 10 mins, 12 seconds.

I'm guessing he breathed pure oxygen for quite a while before his attempt.

mike42506
07-13-2008, 03:09 AM
Not long. Like 45 seconds maybe.

Szust
07-13-2008, 12:45 PM
It varies. If I a just laying on the bottom of a pool, a little more than 2 minutes. If I'm swimming hard, a little less than 1.

Just FYI the world records are::

* Static Apnea
women: Natalia Molchanova (Russia), 8m00s
men: Tom Sietas (Germany), 10m12s

Yes, that's 10 mins, 12 seconds.

10 minutes is crazy. I'm sure if I really held it long and did the hyperventilation trick I might break 2 minutes, but 10 is just beyond my imagination.

nhlfan
07-13-2008, 01:18 PM
about a minute

weasel
07-13-2008, 05:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_Apnea Nope breathing pure oxygen is banned from these competitions

on the other hand the record for holding your breath under water after breathing pure oxygen was set by david blaine the magician (not a trick he's been training to hold his breath like this.) anyway he went for 17minutes 4seconds......................... (he did it live on oprah)

17minutes!!!!! even after breathing pure oxygen over 17minutes holding your breath is insane.

Willie
07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
That's insane either way!

I thought that brain damage can start as quickly as 7 minutes without oxygen (unless the body temp is really lowered, like in icy river or something).

Sensei
07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Thoughts on Hypoxic Training: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/02/hypoxic-training.html

Chubrock
07-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I can hold it long enough to swim about 30m underwater. Of course I hardly ever swim so that sucks.

starfox
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I can hold it long enough to swim about 30m underwater. Of course I hardly ever swim so that sucks.

Thats not too bad man.. I'm a swimming instructor/ lifeguard and most of the others here only get 25m. I have the record though for my pool at 65 m :)

J.C.
09-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Over 3 and half minutes.

A lot of it is mental. I naturally have very large lungs though - I remember in a school biology class we did various breath tests and I had the second highest lung capacity behind this guy who was a junior national level swimmer. I can't remember the exact amount unfortunately.

I haven't tested this for a few years but I broke 3 minutes when I was only 14. I was on holiday in Spain for 2 weeks and pretty much lived in the pool. I had a waterproof watch and so decided I was going to practice holding my breath. I'd do it a couple of times each day. The trick is hyperventialting through slow, very deep breathing beforehand instead of excessivley fast beathing beacause that raises your heart rate. You need to enter an almost meditative state where you have slowed everything down, and it feels like your body is dormant. I'd get plenty of air in, relax completely, go under, shut my eyes and become motionless. I'd completely switch off and then at some point I'd come to and open my eyes to find two and a half minutes had gone without even realizing. And the last bit, when your chest hurts and your brain's screaming out for oxygen and all your muscles are going tense can actually be held for a quite a while longer than you think; just don't panic and grit your teeth.

J.C.
09-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Thats not too bad man.. I'm a swimming instructor/ lifeguard and most of the others here only get 25m. I have the record though for my pool at 65 m :)

Cool. I worked as a lifeguard for a while but having to constantly scan the water was such a pain. It got to the point where I was actually willing people to get into trouble so I could rescue them...