PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Blend Whole Fruit??? Skins-Cores-All

motor head
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I was watching an infomercial thing today called recovering your body or something like that. I thought it might have something to do with body building but it turned out to be old people stuff but they were blending some crazy $hit! Pineapple with the skin! Grapes on the stems, Apples with cores, UNPEALED SQUASH! Then drinking it and saying how good it was:confused: They were saying theres tons of good for you in the stuff you remove. Does anyone blend up stuff like this. Id do it if it was productive, i blend up fruit anyway. I really dont care what it tastes like.

samj
07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
sometime apples with the tree branch still attached

motor head
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
lol.

Tikiman
07-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I haven't heard of many of those ones, however, I do know that keeping the leaves on strawberries when you blend them provides better nutrients and doesn't effect the taste really (only texture).

dynamo
07-15-2008, 06:05 AM
apple seeds contain cynide so in theory, if you were an apple freak you could kill yourself via the seeds. More realistically you'd probably just be constantly tired if you did eat the seeds on a regular basis.

manowar669
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
You need a juicer for what you're talking about, not a blender. A juicer removes cellulose, which you cannot digest. Cellulose is present in the woody stems of plants, melon rinds, and the tougher parts of fruits, veggies. Small amounts of cellulose, as insoluble fiber, help food move through your digestive tract, but don't offer anything in the way of nutrition. Too much can bind or obstruct your intestines, and can cause death, constipation, discomfort, and pain. A juicer will separate the juice from the cellulose.
Melon rinds do contain more nutrients than the sweet "flesh". It depends on the fruit.

As dynamo mentioned, some fruit parts are poisonous. Cherry leaves are toxic. Tomato leaves, and potato greens are poisonous. Pepper plants too. Apple seeds, apricot pits, cherry pits, all poisonous. (Apricot pits can be eaten if roasted, it's where amaretto comes from)

AKMass
07-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Death by constipation??? That's a tough way to go.

On topic, I regularly eat orange, lemon, and lime rinds. Never juiced them though.