PDA

View Full Version : Raw Eggs?

Sean W.
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
First of all, is it a good idea to start your day with a glass of raw eggs?
Secondly, is it healthy? could it be bad for you in anyway,bacteria, all that jaz.
and finally, what would the benifits for a bodybuilder/lifter drinking a glass of raw eggs everyday?

OGROK
07-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Salmonella, not bioavailable, bad idea, stop watching Rocky movies.

Willie
07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Salmonella, not bioavailable, bad idea, stop watching Rocky movies.
:):)

Torrok
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah only thing is risk of salmonella

AL_DA_GREAT
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Boil them, tastes better and is more nutritious. Raw eggs i so 90s.

Lones Green
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
there is no reason to eat them raw. do you think you look tough standing alone in your kitchen eating raw eggs? cook them.

markdk86
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Chances are 1:30000. Your call.

FireRescue
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
there is no reason to eat them raw.

Sure there is, convenience.

I like to use them as a good, whole food, protein base for shakes.

Insane
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
makes shakes thicker.. ate them for a year raw in shakes with no problems...

jAy_Dub
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
If I'm running late to work or behind in the morning and dont have time to cook my eggs I'll down six quickly. No problems here.

IvanDrago
07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I've read a few things from Eric Talmant saying that you should consider raw eggs, something about oxidation of cholesterol and fats. I think it dealt with oxidized cholesterol being potentially damaging to arterial linings. If you've ever heard about what salmonella does to you, that's why I just cook them. Tastes way better, too.

Either way, you're probably not going to get salmonella, and I always steal cookie batter when my girlfriend makes cookies. I don't worry about it much. The bioavailibility is a good point.

An option is to buy pasteurized eggs mixes or pasteurized egg whites. That's a "whole food" base, eliminates the bacterial scare, even makes it more convenient. More expensive than a carton of eggs, though.

emjlr3
07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
boiling them takes a half hour, who the hell wants to spend that time in the morning???

is fast, easy, and is bio-available, no matter what these ******s say, the only prob is the farts, man are they bad

your body will deal with the bacteria, bodybuilders have been drinking them for decades, do your think Arnold cared about such menial details?

FireRescue
07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
man forget that shinitz

cook that crap

Don;t wanna aget sick

I agree, I would not eat raw eggs from a large commercial egg farm. The conditions on those farms are horrible.

However I have no worries eating raw eggs from free range chickens on small local farms.

CrazyK
07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
boiling them takes a half hour, who the hell wants to spend that time in the morning???

is fast, easy, and is bio-available, no matter what these ******s say, the only prob is the farts, man are they bad

your body will deal with the bacteria, bodybuilders have been drinking them for decades, do your think Arnold cared about such menial details?It takes 2 minutes to fry them with some PAM. Tastes better, more bioavailable, and reduces your chance of Salmonella to 0.

You're right, your body will "deal" with the salmonella. This includes massive stomach aches, horrible explosive diarrhea, and the outside possibility of death.

Travis Bell
07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
I throw some raw eggs in my shakes all the time. Makes them thicker as stated above

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Sure there is, convenience.

I like to use them as a good, whole food, protein base for shakes.

makes shakes thicker.. ate them for a year raw in shakes with no problems...

your body will deal with the bacteria, bodybuilders have been drinking them for decades, do your think Arnold cared about such menial details?You should all pretty much stop giving advice regarding eggs.

No reason to eat raw eggs ever. Cooking the eggs denatures the protein and makes it easily digestible. Raw eggs are not as bio-available... I don't know where you get off saying something otherwise. Salmonella is a risk and if you get Salmonella poisoning from raw eggs, you will not be a happy camper. My aunt got Salmonella poisoning several times from raw egg yolks.

God forbid you take a few minutes to cook the eggs in a pan.

:hello:

It takes 2 minutes to fry them with some PAM. Tastes better, more bioavailable, and reduces your chance of Salmonella to 0.

You're right, your body will "deal" with the salmonella. This includes massive stomach aches, horrible explosive diarrhea, and the outside possibility of death.Mmm... death is tasty.

FireRescue
07-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Cooking the eggs denatures the protein and makes it easily digestible. Raw eggs are not as bio-available...

Salmonella is a risk and if you get Salmonella poisoning from raw eggs, you will not be a happy camper. My aunt got Salmonella poisoning several times from raw egg yolks.

I will agree that a cooked egg is more bio-available than a raw egg. There is no arguement to that. The difference is not significant though IMO. If I were only eating eggs then yes, the difference might be significant, but since most of us consume several different protein sources throughout the day the difference is negligible.

In regards to salmonella, I would not think of eating a raw egg from one of these large commercial egg producers. However I buy the majority of my eggs from a small local farm from free range chickens. I am not worried in the least bit about salmonella. Maybe I should have been more clear in this in my original post.