PDA

View Full Version : Eating Properly - Need tips/suggestions

dd2000
07-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering what type of foods and at what time frames you eat during the day which helps muscle growth?

I was told not too eat heavy or any carbs at all after dinner. I was also told that eating protein in less than 4 hrs apart is useless and goes to waste b/c the body can only break down protein in 4 hrs and any excessive protein consumed in that time period is not used (trainer told me this). I usually tend to try and eat something every 2-3 hrs. An example of my diet:

6AM - 4 EGGS (3 WHITES), glass milk, fruit
9:30AM - 1 can tuna with whole wheat bread, lettuce, cheddard cheese (tuna sandwich)
12:30 - Chicken Risotto (2-2.5 cups) - fruit
4pm - natural pb with jam or nutella on white or wholewheat
6pm - plate of pasta, chicken/beef. fruit, veggies.
AFTER GYM - 2 scoops whey, 2 fruits, handful of oats, tbsp peanut butter, 2 tbsp 1% cottage cheese

I usually snack on cereal or something light after dinner. I just bought cottage cheese to snack on and im planning on making protein bars for night (8-9pm)

I'm trying to pack on some muscle and add some definition (i have a stomach)..im 5-11 192lb.

Is it a good idea to get up in the middle of the night to eat something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

dd2000
07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
anyone?

Doobs
07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering what type of foods and at what time frames you eat during the day which helps muscle growth?

Keep protein at or above 1 g/lb of LBM, fat around 0.5g/lb of LBM, and most importantly calories above your maintenance level. Time frame won't matter as much once this is accomplished.

I was also told that eating protein in less than 4 hrs apart is useless and goes to waste b/c the body can only break down protein in 4 hrs and any excessive protein consumed in that time period is not used (trainer told me this).

Feel free to stop listening to this person. You would have to eat ridiculous amounts for this to be true.

Other than that, I don't like eating fat around the workout, so I would remove the PB from the post-workout meal. If you can wait at least an hour or two and get another meal before bed, then I would move the PB and the cottage cheese from the PWO meal to right before bed.

CrazyK
07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Check out the stickies. "What a bodybuilder eats" is a good thread to give a good list of foods.