PDA

View Full Version : Doing away with box squats...

BFGUITAR
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I personally don't like them. I was thinking of doing reps instead, how would I do this?

3 sets of 8-10? I just really dont like box squats and want to replace them.

MNRob
07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
What don't you like about them?

As I understand box squats (not the touch and go for depth practice) is there are to help make you more explosive by making your hips stronger and for working on that location in your squat where you are sticking.

BFGUITAR
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
What don't you like about them?

As I understand box squats (not the touch and go for depth practice) is there are to help make you more explosive by making your hips stronger and for working on that location in your squat where you are sticking.

They just haven't helped me at all. I may not be doing them right buyt I have read up about them a lot and just don't like them. Any idea what I can do instead for DE day?

MNRob
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
They just haven't helped me at all. I may not be doing them right buyt I have read up about them a lot and just don't like them. Any idea what I can do instead for DE day?

Not a "true DE day" but, front squats with GMs afterwards. Great way to beat the hell out of your quads and hams individually.

BFGUITAR
07-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Not a "true DE day" but, front squats with GMs afterwards. Great way to beat the hell out of your quads and hams individually.

I do GMs after DE day anyways, front squats seem like a good idea! Anyone else?

MNRob
07-15-2008, 04:26 PM
I do GMs after DRY day anyways, front squats seem like a good idea!

More of a man than I, I tried doing GMs after ME squats and my hamstrings literally jumped off the back of my legs, gave me the middle finger, took my car keys and left me at the gym. I got the point...

deeder
07-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I may be thinking of someone else but I seem to remember a video of you doing box squats and they were all touch and go. I find I get the most benefit from box squats when I pause on the box and lean back a bit to let my hip flexors relax.

joey54
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Why not replace them with pause squats?

Invain
07-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I may be thinking of someone else but I seem to remember a video of you doing box squats and they were all touch and go. I find I get the most benefit from box squats when I pause on the box and lean back a bit to let my hip flexors relax.

They're definitely like twice as hard if you sit back and take all the weight off your legs. Have you tried this BF?

I absolutely love deep ass front squats. Definitely throw them into the mix if you haven't already.

BFGUITAR
07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
They're definitely like twice as hard if you sit back and take all the weight off your legs. Have you tried this BF?

I absolutely love deep ass front squats. Definitely throw them into the mix if you haven't already.

This is what I do already.

I may throw in front squats.

mikesbench
07-16-2008, 06:04 PM
You could always do plyos of some variety to train explosiveness and then work whatever other assistant exercises you like on what would normally be your DE Squat day.

Reko
07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
The goal of the day with DE is speed. If you can do speed squats, great, if not, plyos would help with that isne you are being explosive with your body.
jumping to boxes comes to mind that would be a good sub.

IvanDrago
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
If a dynamic exercise for squat is still the goal...
jump squats (really light weight, like 10-20%)
various box jumps
Kneeling jumps (weighted if you have the power)
speed squats without the box

other lower body moves to consider...
bulgarian split squats (will build your squat big time if you push yourself)
front squat as mentioned
lunges (bb/db)
step ups (bb/db)
belt squat - an often forgotten favorite
backwards sled drags

As far as sets/reps
Bulgarians are freakin' rough so I have to stay lower volume to work with good weight, but it pays off. Definitely for gluttons of punishment. Lunges/step ups I like to short step some while staying upright and go for 2-3 x 10-15. For step ups, keep your down leg toe pointed up and your down knee extended. Your weights will tank, but you'll reap the benefits. Don't do high rep front squats. I've had to do them as high as 10's, but 5 reps or less is best. It's nigh impossible to hold good position with any real weight past 5. And wrist discomfort becomes a problem, too. I always wrap straps on the bar and grab them instead of racking the bar with my wrists. Belt squats are great for high rep accessory, 2x20, for example. Sled drags for this I would just go until I have trouble walking away.

you weren't that specific with what you were trying to accomplish so I just rambled. Maybe its useful?

Hazerboy
07-17-2008, 02:59 AM
look up Defranco's westside for skinny bastards, he uses plyometrics and repetition training instead of DE and I think its worked for for his guys.

Sensei
07-17-2008, 06:23 AM
BF,

I don't remember how long you've been training, or your numbers, but if you are relatively new and/or weak with squats, you probably just need to work on your (free) squatting.

I am not being an a-hole, just saying that a lot of people don't spend time building base strength before moving on to variations.

Personally, I love box squats and they can be beneficial for most, but IMHO they are more beneficial to equipped PLers than raw PLers.

Fuzzy
07-17-2008, 06:39 AM
I thinl any kind of Olympic squat qould be awesome, be it back or front.

HP666
07-17-2008, 08:36 AM
HEY BF,

This takes a while to download, as it's 40 minutes long, but it's Louis Simmons explaining Box Squatting at a seminar. I would definitely take the time to download it and watch it. It may help you.
http://macthrowvideo2.com/2006NTCALS.wmv

Guido
07-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I like deep, paused squats as a replacement for box squats. Just go ATF and pause at the bottom for a second ro two before exploding up out of the hole. I find they have a lot of carryover to regular parallel squats.

jbrin0tk
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
HEY BF,

This takes a while to download, as it's 40 minutes long, but it's Louis Simmons explaining Box Squatting at a seminar. I woudl definitely take the time to download it and watch it. It may help you.
http://macthrowvideo2.com/2006NTCALS.wmv

Hey man, thanks for throwing that out there. It's pretty interesting stuff.

drew
07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
The box took me up to 495 and then I stalled out big time for a while. I got rid of it and started doing 4 week waves where I work up to a 5RM, 3RM, then 1RM and then deload and repeat. I've gotten to a 525 by doing this and still moving up. I also feel like I get a lot more work done by doing this. I only squat 1 day per week.

BFGUITAR
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
BF,

I don't remember how long you've been training, or your numbers, but if you are relatively new and/or weak with squats, you probably just need to work on your (free) squatting.

I am not being an a-hole, just saying that a lot of people don't spend time building base strength before moving on to variations.

Personally, I love box squats and they can be beneficial for most, but IMHO they are more beneficial to equipped PLers than raw PLers.

I consider my 315 atg squat to be pretty weak so you may be right.

Thanks for the input guys! Now I have lots of options.

I realize the biggest problem with my squats is power. I cannot jump FOR ****. I don't have any power to my jump and I am 100% sure this transfers over to my squat.

This is what I am going to do... I am going to do pause squats for one (I think I need to consciously think about exploding upwards, this will give me the time). Second, I am going to do plyometrics to work on jumping and becoming explosive. I am thinking of doing these
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/plyometric_exercises_lateral_high_hops.gif
Along with regular jumping.

Another thing... I like doing ATG squats but if I ever compete I really won't need to. On ME day should I stick to wide stance? I recently was only able to do about 285 for my one rep max wide stance squat... a lot less than my ATG.

CrazyK
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe work on your form on the DE day? Possibly adding in some bands?

Also adding in a DE deadlift might help with power problems.

Sidior
07-18-2008, 01:30 PM
BF,

:withstupid:

Until I trained in gear excessive box squatting seemed to hurt my free squat more than help it. It was only once I got into gear (especially multiply) that there really started being a carryover for me.

BFGUITAR
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
DE deadlifts seems like a good idea as well.

I don't know if it's just me, but when I go for one rep squat now the weight just seems heavier than it use to and I think it has to do with the fact that I am not squatting heavy 3 times a week (or more) anymore. Perhaps I just need more free squatting which is why I am thinking of also doing reps on DE day. So many options lol. Either way I am doing plyometric work. Paused squats seem like a good idea as well, but with more weight than standard DE box squatting (say around 70%?). I may add in speed deadlifts as well.

Westside has been critical at increasing my bench and literally everything else. I am closing in to 225 quite quickly. It seems that changing up the exercise every 2 sessions is what's doing the trick. It's only my squat that is suffering. I hit a 385 conv deadlift, something I have never done (only a 405 sumo).