PDA

View Full Version : Squats/Deads after extended break

cphafner
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I've recently started adding squats and deads back into my routine. I hurt my back (pulled muscles doing deads) about a year ago, and I'm finally feeling like my old self and added them back in 2 weeks. Since I've added them back in, my knees have been bugging me. They feel weak if that makes any sense. I've been doing about 50-60% of my working sets from pre-injury. Nothing heavy at all. I'm curious if this is normal after an extended period of time. Do I just need to rebuild strength in the knee since they weren't feeling this kind of strain for a long time by staying light and slowly working back up? During the recovery I did light legs best I could. Light leg presses, bodyweight hacks, leg curls/extensions, but nothing like squats, lunges, deads, etc. I feel like a dumb newb asking this, but I searched and couldn't find anything very helpful, and this was the first extended break I've ever taken from doing any particular lift. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ben Moore
07-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Pretty normal given the time off. Just make sure your doing the prehab work and stretching.

vdizenzo
07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Try some step ups and terminal knee extensions on off days.

cphafner
07-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys.

Lones Green
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Try some step ups and terminal knee extensions on off days.

this is what i was going to say...heel touches off a low box are great, and TKE's have saved my knees. i do them regularly.

cphafner
07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
this is what i was going to say...heel touches off a low box are great, and TKE's have saved my knees. i do them regularly.

Thanks. I'll give them a shot.

ZenMonkey
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Does it feel like something leg extensions may help?

cphafner
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Follow up question on TKEs...should I do them with or without tension. I have something my pt gave me that looks like a big rubber band that goes around my ankles. I was using it for a bit of tension when I lay on my back and slightly raised my leg to the ceiling to work my hip flexors. Would this be beneficial to use for just a tad of tension on the TKEs?

Fuzzy
07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Look into some ART massage. There was an article on here not too long ago about it.