PDA

View Full Version : Ever too sore to lift?

ZenMonkey
07-16-2008, 08:08 AM
After 2 weeks off I went through 3 days of a split and two days ago was squat day and there is no way I can lift effectively today much less walk normally. How do you guys deal with it? Anyone ever skip a day for this reason?

I am hoping I loosen up as the day wears on sos I can hit the weights after class... we will see.

vdizenzo
07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
If you put in a really tough session try some different forms of rehab like getting on the treadmill for a while. Or try a contrast shower. There are lots of different methods. It's that two weeks off that killed you. Honestly, you don't deserve a day off if you just took two weeks off.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
After 2 weeks off I went through 3 days of a split and two days ago was squat day and there is no way I can lift effectively today much less walk normally. How do you guys deal with it? Anyone ever skip a day for this reason?

I am hoping I loosen up as the day wears on sos I can hit the weights after class... we will see.

I have been too sore to workout only after unloading equipment for pl meet, load for more than 5 straight hours during the meet, then load all the equipment back into the trailer. The next day, my whole entire body aches:) This is probably the extreme case.

You might look at your nutritional intake to help with your recuperation and do some sled dragging too. AtLarge Nutrition ETS has helped my recuperation a lot:thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Lones Green
07-16-2008, 08:26 AM
i agree with Vin. its the 2 weeks off.

sometimes when its time for DE bench my tri's will be a bit sore from ME day 72 hours before...mostly just stiff, after stretching and some mini band pushdowns i'm ready to bench again.

ETS works well, you could try upping your protein as well

strongkid963
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
i once read there two types of soreness: 1 you work through, the other you rest with. whatever im not sure though.

Tennessee Mike
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
The goal is to stay stretched and keep moving.Taking off is fine,but dont sit around.Youll just tighten up even more.After a layoff,Im unbelievably sore too.If its to the point where Im not 100%,I'll skip a workout.

MNRob
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I've been pretty sore before and just went and lifted anyways. I think you will find that once you warmup and start moving the soreness either goes away or is less intense.

Just make sure it is SORE not injured.

Ben Moore
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I've been really sore to the point that I didn't think I could lift. I'm with Vin though - more warmup, active warmups, and some different rehab techs and I was ready to go. By warmups, I don't mean doing a few sets with the bar. Google dynamic warmups and you'll get an idea what I mean.

bill
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Zen so you did squats for instance Monday and trying to hit them again on Thurs? If that is the case I could see why it be tough, you may just need to do what everyone is saying, maybe whirlpool after? Stay hydrated as well, that seems to help some.

TUEFELHUNDEN
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Active recovery seems to work best for me. I might be sore for 2 days after a hard leg day or my Sunday MX races but some spin biking or even a walk to warmup will help tremendously. Also, ETS will help.

Detard
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Usually after I take a reasonable amount of time off (for injuries or what not) I tend to go a little lighter on my first day back, heavier on the second, then full on the third workout. Otherwise I KNOW i'll have really bad DOMS and wont feel up to lifting.

Meat_Head
06-03-2009, 06:21 AM
I'd like to bump this and get a few more opinions.

Should you trust your body for a while, as far as post-workout soreness goes, or jump right back into the routine no matter what and work through the DOMS?

slashkills
06-03-2009, 06:29 AM
you have opinions from some of the strongest guys on the site in here.

bluelew
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I just decided to shock the body with a 5x5. I just started my 3rd week and have hit all the projected weights. There are days like yesterday where I had to do an extended warm up and stretching. My knees were very sore and I stretched them out for a few minutes and all went well. I also noticed yesterday that my knees felt great when I woke up but started to get sore as the day went on. I probably would not have had to warm up as much if I had lifted earlier. I would be very cautious (as I am to make sure I am not doing damage) but try doing an extended warm up with stretching.

Meat_Head
06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
you have opinions from some of the strongest guys on the site in here.

Obviously.

But I bumped it to hear a few MORE opinions from the more experienced members of the board. If you don't want to contribute your thoughts, you don't have to.

WILD BILL
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
excuses pave the path to nowhere no excuse is good enough to miss a workout

Reko
06-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I vote workout anyway. It will go away as the workout progresses.

Notorious
06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I vote workout anyway. It will go away as the workout progresses.

:withstupi: