PDA

View Full Version : casein vs. whey

rma11
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm looking to make my own weight gainer shakes. The problem is the protein powder. I'm Muslim so I only eat Halal (pretty much just like Kosher... I can also eat Kosher) meat, and this includes sources of whey which use rennet.

Casein on the other hand, from what I understand, is purely from dairy products?

If I were to use two scoops of 100% casein protein powder for my shakes (3 a day, around 600-800 cal each), how would that be for a bulk? I wouldn't have any whey source for post-workout shakes. So what should I do for post-workout? Eat a meal instead? What should be in it?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for stores/products of Kosher/Halal Whey products and any Casein-only powders, please share!

bjohnso
07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm looking to make my own weight gainer shakes. The problem is the protein powder. I'm Muslim so I only eat Halal (pretty much just like Kosher... I can also eat Kosher) meat, and this includes sources of whey which use rennet.

Casein on the other hand, from what I understand, is purely from dairy products?

If I were to use two scoops of 100% casein protein powder for my shakes (3 a day, around 600-800 cal each), how would that be for a bulk? I wouldn't have any whey source for post-workout shakes. So what should I do for post-workout? Eat a meal instead? What should be in it?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for stores/products of Kosher/Halal Whey products and any Casein-only powders, please share!

What is rennet?

Casein should be fine. You want to replenish your glycogen stores after you work out, which you do by drinking/eating carbs (particularly waxy maize or dextrose, immediately post-workout). I usually mix my dextrose with whey, but honestly, for the level that most people here are at (including me) I doubt it makes a huge difference what kind of protein you use.

CrazyK
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
You want your whey post workout. Very fast disgestion. However if it's going to be a big pain to incorporate it this, don't sweat it. Just eat.