PDA

View Full Version : Beer vs. Hard Liquor..?

orscrubs
07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm currently cutting right now so rarely drink....maybe once every 2 weeks now. I used to drink beer but heard that hard liquor such as scotch/whiskey gives you less of a gut. I did some research and found the following:

Budweiser Select: 12oz

Calories: 99

Carbs: 3.1

compared to......let's say ...

Glenlivet: 1 shot (1.5 oz)....which is what they typcially put in a drink

Calories:104

Carbs: 0

So generally speaking, they pretty much have the same amount of calories PER SERVING (1 beer vs. 1 scotch with mineral water).

My question is, if nutrionally, they're about equal, why is it that beer gives you much more of a gut than hard liquor? Why is it recommended that if you're on a cut and you drink that you choose liquor over beer?

Thanks guys!

azma
07-18-2008, 01:59 AM
The problem with alcohol is that the liver converts it into acetate, and your body prefers burning acetate over burning fat. Alcohol slows your metabolism and lowers testosterone levels, too, so you can, in fact, get fat from the alcohol itself.

My question is, if nutrionally, they're about equal, why is it that beer gives you much more of a gut than hard liquor? Why is it recommended that if you're on a cut and you drink that you choose liquor over beer?

If you drink the same amount of alcohol, beer doesn't really give you more of a gut than hard liquor does. As far as I know, it just has a reputation for giving you more of a gut than hard liquor does.

Tennessee Mike
07-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Studies have proven time and time again theres no such thing as a "beer gut".Your genetically predisposed to carry weight in that area.If your only drinking every 2 weeks,I wouldnt worry much at all.If your really concerned,you could do whiskey/rum with diet coke.Or whiskey/diet ginger ale.

azma
07-18-2008, 04:43 AM
or dry white wine.

manowar669
07-18-2008, 05:40 AM
or dry white wine.

Some wines have as much as 140 cals in a 5oz glass.

azma
07-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Some wines have as much as 140 cals in a 5oz glass.

Some wines, yes. Port has over 200 calories in a 5oz serving.

Drier white wines, however, are relatively low in calories -- even in comparison to light beers.

RedSpikeyThing
07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
because one beer leads to two and two beers leads to fifteen.

Unreal
07-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Plus your comparing a low cal beer to a shot. A normal bud is about 220 cals IIRC.

Death
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Yikes! Wonder how many calories in a 40 of Old E, I think alcohol should have nutritional information on the bottle for calorie concious people.

Tennessee Mike
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
The average 12 ounce beer is 140-150 calories.

Budweiser 143
Becks 143
Corona 140
Dos Equis 145
Guinness 125(Believe it or not)Most people think its a heavy beer.
Heineken 166
Killians 163
Sam Adams Lager 160
Sierra Nevada Pale 200
Yuengling Lager 140

All these can be varified through numerous websites.Not only am I a powerlifter,Im a powerdrinker.

markdk86
07-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Jameson and Diet Ginger Ale is the **** !

Holto
07-18-2008, 10:01 AM
because one beer leads to two and two beers leads to fifteen.

Spoken like a true Torontonian.

God I love this city :)

Guido
07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
The average 12 ounce beer is 140-150 calories.

Budweiser 143
Becks 143
Corona 140
Dos Equis 145
Guinness 125(Believe it or not)Most people think its a heavy beer.
Heineken 166
Killians 163
Sam Adams Lager 160
Sierra Nevada Pale 200
Yuengling Lager 140

All these can be varified through numerous websites.Not only am I a powerlifter,Im a powerdrinker.My kind of guy! :alcoholic:

RhodeHouse
07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
If you're cutting, why are you drinking? It doesn't make any sense to me. Nio sense in doing all the hard work of calorie restriction to go out a have a few beers. I don't care if it's 1x a month. A cut is supposed to be a cut. Guess I don't understand half-assing it.

dumbbell
07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
The news on the Guinness calories just made my day! :thumbup:

For those that are interested Miller has a new "diet" beer MGD 64. I bought a 6 pack to take to a party over the July 4th weekend. It's pretty much beer flavored water.
1 serving=
12oz.
64 calories
0 g fat
2.4 g carbs
1 g protein
2.3% alcohol by volume ( which I estimate at about 9.5 g)

Usually, on the rare occasions that I do drink anymore, a shot or two of Jack on the rocks does the trick, though.

orscrubs
07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
RhodeHouse,

I know the drinking (even if it is on rare occasions) might hinder growth and/or progress to a certain extent; but, I wouldn't go as far as to claiming (as you did in your post) that drinking, even if it's only once a month according to you, makes all your work (diet, working out, supplemenation, etc.) into a "half-assed" commitment. I think a good percentage of guys on this forum (whether cutting or bulking) still drink from time (some more than others, naturally). My post is merely intended to try and discover which type of drink (i.e. beer or liquor) minimizes the detrimental effects that alcohol has on those of us who choose to consume it.

RhodeHouse
07-18-2008, 09:00 PM
RhodeHouse,

I know the drinking (even if it is on rare occasions) might hinder growth and/or progress to a certain extent; but, I wouldn't go as far as to claiming (as you did in your post) that drinking, even if it's only once a month according to you, makes all your work (diet, working out, supplemenation, etc.) into a "half-assed" commitment. I think a good percentage of guys on this forum (whether cutting or bulking) still drink from time (some more than others, naturally). My post is merely intended to try and discover which type of drink (i.e. beer or liquor) minimizes the detrimental effects that alcohol has on those of us who choose to consume it.

Anyone who is worth a $hit and cares about their training, curtails their drinking, if not cuts it out when preping for something. I thought the whole idea of a cut was to see how low you can get your BF. Alcohol, no matter how limited it's consumption is, has no positive effects on the body, especially during a cut.

Keep drinking however many times a month you do and if you don't reach your goal by a set date, come back and tell me you did everything you could to succeed. You can not tell me that alcohol helps you in any way shape or form.

I drink, myself. When I'm prepping for a contest, I won't even drink a beer. I try to do everything in my power to make sure I'm ready. Now, there are always things I could do better. More sleep, better food choices, better active recovery, etc... But, alcohol will never be on my list of things I could've done better.

We simply have different takes on getting ready for something that we set as a goal.

orscrubs
07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Rhodehouse,

There's no doubt that alcohol offers no benefits for those who consume it, however, if you can recall correctly, that wasn't even the nature of my question/post. I was inquiring as to which of the two (beer or liquor) is less damaging. Moreover, I'm not preparing for any contest nor do I have a date by which I have to arrive at a certain physique. You mention that "there are always things I could do better. More sleep, better food choices, better active recovery, etc...".........All of these things that you admit to sometimes fail in achieving can have equally detrimental effects on your body and/or workouts as alcohol.

Fuzzy
07-19-2008, 01:25 AM
I like any teenager will occasionally drink. However, never for the 6 weeks leading up to major comp, not even a sip.

Normally, I am fine with having a few shots of vodka, I usually ask my coach if its cool and more oftne than not he is ok with it.

markdk86
07-19-2008, 03:43 AM
I'd stick my penis in a bottle of beer if it would fit. <3

dumbbell
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
When it's all said and done, I gotta agree with Rhodes. If you're on a cut then you can't afford the useless calories period. Now if you're having a scheduled cheat meal, who cares what you drink. They're all equally toxic. (Go ahead have the Guinness! ;) )

RhodeHouse
07-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Rhodehouse,

There's no doubt that alcohol offers no benefits for those who consume it, however, if you can recall correctly, that wasn't even the nature of my question/post. I was inquiring as to which of the two (beer or liquor) is less damaging. Moreover, I'm not preparing for any contest nor do I have a date by which I have to arrive at a certain physique. You mention that "there are always things I could do better. More sleep, better food choices, better active recovery, etc...".........All of these things that you admit to sometimes fail in achieving can have equally detrimental effects on your body and/or workouts as alcohol.

I'm not sure if you're posting this to try and make yourself feel better about your drinking or if you're trying to convince me. I have done the little thinbs to make me better. There is not one good thing that alcohol does for your body, that can't be done with something less toxic. The ONLY positive effect I have ever heard of from alcohol is it thins the blood. But, take an aspirin, ad you get the same result, with no negative side effects.

I really don't care what you do. It makes no difference in my life or my training. But, I have been the party animal and I have also chosen to stop drinking. No alcohol is always better, no matter what.

As for your goals? No time frame to achieve them? Wow! Hey, whatever dude. Aim low.

orscrubs
07-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Rhodehouse,

Funny thing....I would think that with your level of dedication, knowledge, and commitment to powerlifting, bodybuilding, diet, no alcohol intake etc., you'd BE A SOMEBODY in the world of bodybuilding...perhaps appearing in MuscleMag, or competing in events like Mr. Olympia. Instead, you frequent forums such as this one and chastise beginners, such as myself, for not agreeing with your opinions on issues related to bodybuilding.

Hey but that's cool, I guess some people, no matter how hard they try or how much knowledge and expertise they have in an area, never really amount to anything significant outside of their own niche.

Tennessee Mike
07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Rhodehouse,

Funny thing....I would think that with your level of dedication, knowledge, and commitment to powerlifting, bodybuilding, diet, no alcohol intake etc., you'd BE A SOMEBODY in the world of bodybuilding...perhaps appearing in MuscleMag, or competing in events like Mr. Olympia. Instead, you frequent forums such as this one and chastise beginners, such as myself, for not agreeing with your opinions on issues related to bodybuilding.

Hey but that's cool, I guess some people, no matter how hard they try or how much knowledge and expertise they have in an area, never really amount to anything significant outside of their own niche.

Are you serious?First of all Matt Rhodes doesnt need me to defend him,but if you dont know who he is you better do some research.And why dont you look his name up under Powerlifting...

You might wanna do some research before you make idiotic comments like that.

Willie
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree with Matt Rhodes on this one, too.

Drinking is detrimental to training, no matter the event.

You can "spend" those calories with something more productive, like a protein shake or even something like Gatorade with electrolytes.

However, I will answer your question:

Hard liquor has NO nutritional value. None.
Wine (red) has SOME antioxidant properties.
Beer has SOME carbs and a VERY SMALL amount of protein.
Wine (white) has the lowest calories per serving of an alcohol, save a "light" beer.

All that said, I used to drink a beer as a "prize" after completion of some event, but that didn't make it good for me no matter how I justify it.

Drink or don't drink, it's up to you.
The advice you're going to get here is, more than likely, don't drink, but hey, it's your life and it's your training. Which matters more to you?

EDIT: if I am out with friends, I'll order a club soda (fizzy water, some sodium, no calories) with a slice of lemon.
It looks like "a real drink," I've got something to sip on so I don't feel out of place, it's good for me, and I'm not going to get a DUI driving home later.

cphafner
07-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure if you're posting this to try and make yourself feel better about your drinking or if you're trying to convince me. I have done the little thinbs to make me better. There is not one good thing that alcohol does for your body, that can't be done with something less toxic. The ONLY positive effect I have ever heard of from alcohol is it thins the blood. But, take an aspirin, ad you get the same result, with no negative side effects.

I really don't care what you do. It makes no difference in my life or my training. But, I have been the party animal and I have also chosen to stop drinking. No alcohol is always better, no matter what.

As for your goals? No time frame to achieve them? Wow! Hey, whatever dude. Aim low.

Rhodes, I agree 100% that alcohol is detrimental to achieving goals with the iron, but the thread starter isn't looking to compete, and for non-competitve people there is a gym-life balance that takes place. When I chose to get on stage I totally dropped alcohol from my world. Now I keep it in check as much as possible and know that when I do drink I am hampering my results. I chose a while ago that I love working out and dieting, but I'm too young not to go out and enjoy my life. I know you can go out and enjoy life without alcohol, and often I'm the one drinking water at happy hour, but every once in a while I do enjoy cutting loose. Your dedication and passion is awesome, and the reason you have obtained the high level you have reached, but some on the board aren't looking for the same.

RhodeHouse
07-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Rhodes, I agree 100% that alcohol is detrimental to achieving goals with the iron, but the thread starter isn't looking to compete, and for non-competitve people there is a gym-life balance that takes place. When I chose to get on stage I totally dropped alcohol from my world. Now I keep it in check as much as possible and know that when I do drink I am hampering my results. I chose a while ago that I love working out and dieting, but I'm too young not to go out and enjoy my life. I know you can go out and enjoy life without alcohol, and often I'm the one drinking water at happy hour, but every once in a while I do enjoy cutting loose. Your dedication and passion is awesome, and the reason you have obtained the high level you have reached, but some on the board aren't looking for the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love my beer and alcohol. I'm Irish! However, I just think about my goals, and that is enough to deter me from drinking. I'll have a beer every now and then. It's just not going to help me, period.

Anyone that is driven and focused DOES NOT have balance in their life. If you think they do, you're are dead wrong.

RhodeHouse
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Rhodehouse,

Oh, my little friend. I am somebody. I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?tid=150&__N=Matt%20Rhodes

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=64598&tid=150

So, who are you? My nuts need some licking. You're up.

WillNoble
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Rhodehouse,

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this has made my day

give em hell Matt

RhodeHouse
07-20-2008, 06:29 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this has made my day

give em hell Matt

Thank you for the support, William. Your loyalty is recognized and appreciated.

WillNoble
07-20-2008, 07:24 PM
any time...you need to make it out to KC some time to train with Ben, Reko, Sean and I

RhodeHouse
07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
any time...you need to make it out to KC some time to train with Ben, Reko, Sean and I

How far is KC from Fort Smith, Arkansas? My sister lives there, and I'll be out for Christmas. That would be a blast. I'll keep you posted on my trip. This might be something that happens. Much like a hard on. It just happens, sometimes.

WillNoble
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Fort+Smith&1s=AR&1y=US&1l=35.385799&1g=-94.3983&1v=CITY&2c=Kansas+City&2s=MO&2y=US&2l=39.099701&2g=-94.5783&2v=CITY

4 hrs. according to mapquest

Ben Moore
07-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Absolutely - come on up. We'll be in our new facility by then.

RhodeHouse
07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Absolutely - come on up. We'll be in our new facility by then.

Ben, I'll definately take you guys up on that offer. I'll stay in touch. I appreciate the invite.

Tell Will, he's special.

WillNoble
07-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Tell Will, he's special.

hahaha

dumbbell
07-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love my beer and alcohol. I'm Irish! However, I just think about my goals, and that is enough to deter me from drinking. I'll have a beer every now and then. It's just not going to help me, period.

Anyone that is driven and focused DOES NOT have balance in their life. If you think they do, you're are dead wrong.

My favorite part is that this is coming from someone who does not need to "cut" for their chosen sport. Awesome.

And, yes, it all comes down to an individual's level of commitment to their own goals, whatever they are. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. With a half-***ed approach to it, half-***ed results are to be expected. What level of mediocrity do you desire to reach?

I'm not as hardcore as Rhodes is, and therefore will never put up the kind of numbers he already has acheived. I'm OK with that. And I will enjoy my occasional beer. I'm an amatuer in this arena. Which is why I listen when these guys give us their insight.

A person's acomplishment's tend to speak for themselves.

Tennessee Mike
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Me personally,I like the beer.Im somewhat of a conniseuer .I didnt drink when I was in high school at all.In fact it wasnt until I was 25 until I drank beer regularly.Id love to open a brewery.Mostly dark beers and heavier stuff ,usually imported.Pretty much weekends only and on occasion a few during the week.Im just fascinated by the whole process.Me and the wife will hit the brewers festivals and what not.But If I had a meet to prep for,than no way.

Lones Green
07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, my little friend. I am somebody. I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?tid=150&__N=Matt%20Rhodes

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=64598&tid=150

So, who are you? My nuts need some licking. You're up.

LOL!

RhodeHouse
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
My favorite part is that this is coming from someone who does not need to "cut" for their chosen sport. Awesome.

And, yes, it all comes down to an individual's level of commitment to their own goals, whatever they are. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. With a half-***ed approach to it, half-***ed results are to be expected. What level of mediocrity do you desire to reach?

I'm not as hardcore as Rhodes is, and therefore will never put up the kind of numbers he already has acheived. I'm OK with that. And I will enjoy my occasional beer. I'm an amatuer in this arena. Which is why I listen when these guys give us their insight.

A person's acomplishment's tend to speak for themselves.

I'm far from hardcore, but I appreciate the notice. I used to drink all the time. As I got older, my goals changed and motivation to achieve them grew. Don't say you won't ever reach any goal. As you grow, you'll learn the little tricks that go with success. You can do whatever you want to. Stay positive and believe fanatically that you can, and you will.

Reko
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Ben, I'll definately take you guys up on that offer. I'll stay in touch. I appreciate the invite.

Tell Will, he's special.

That would be an epic win right there.

markdk86
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Me personally,I like the beer.Im somewhat of a conniseuer .I didnt drink when I was in high school at all.In fact it wasnt until I was 25 until I drank beer regularly.Id love to open a brewery.Mostly dark beers and heavier stuff ,usually imported.Pretty much weekends only and on occasion a few during the week.Im just fascinated by the whole process.Me and the wife will hit the brewers festivals and what not.But If I had a meet to prep for,than no way.

If you opened a brewery I would sell my soul to swim in a finished product.

Tennessee Mike
07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
That would be a hell of a bath my friend.

vdizenzo
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
My nuts need some licking. You're up.

Wow, that's funny.

thewicked
07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm far from hardcore, but I appreciate the notice. I used to drink all the time. As I got older, my goals changed and motivation to achieve them grew. Don't say you won't ever reach any goal. As you grow, you'll learn the little tricks that go with success. You can do whatever you want to. Stay positive and believe fanatically that you can, and you will.

i'm with rhodehouse...

i used to booze all the time and still love to drink my beer but my consumption is cut WAY down. It always comes down to what you want more..bigger and better gains in the gym or to drink beer. A beer or drink here or there won't hurt ya at all. Just don't ever go overboard.

markdk86
07-22-2008, 11:18 PM
That would be a hell of a bath my friend.

But it would be magical. I love beer, a little too much since I came to this company where all my friends work as EMT's... too much beer will make you become a fatty, but I'm fixing that.

Willie
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm

big_girl
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm currently cutting right now so rarely drink....maybe once every 2 weeks now. I used to drink beer but heard that hard liquor such as scotch/whiskey gives you less of a gut. I did some research and found the following:

Budweiser Select: 12oz

Calories: 99

Carbs: 3.1

compared to......let's say ...

Glenlivet: 1 shot (1.5 oz)....which is what they typcially put in a drink

Calories:104

Carbs: 0

So generally speaking, they pretty much have the same amount of calories PER SERVING (1 beer vs. 1 scotch with mineral water).

Thanks guys!

hahaha i don't know but i don't like drinking beer!!! eeerrrr :fart:

vdizenzo
07-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Gotta love the name--big girl--great stuff. Welcome to WBB.