PDA

View Full Version : How often to deadlift?

AJ_H
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Is every other week ok?

When I do variations, I normally do good mornings or straight legs on ME days and rack pulls on DE.

Ben Moore
07-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I pull once a week, but not from the floor every week. Right now my rotation looks like this since I"m trying to focus on top end:

Week
1 - Pulls from the floor w/ double monster minis
2 - Rack pulls - pick a height mid shin to just under knee
3 - GM from pins
Repeat.

Also, on all of these weeks I'm typically doing speed pulls from the floor w/ quad mini setup.

RedSpikeyThing
07-20-2008, 08:33 AM
It depends on your experience. Beginners can deadlift every other workout, intermediates somewhere around once per week and advanced athletes, like Ben, do partial movements because they can't fully recover from a full pull in a week.

AJ_H
07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
1 - double monster minis
3 - GM from pins

w/ quad mini setup.

Thanks for the info but I can't find out what these are?

need4muscle
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I pull once a week and it seems to work for me

trainerSI
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I Pull once a week, alternating from light to heavy ,depending on how I feel, but keep my reps under 8-10 IF that for any given set. (usual set is 5-6 reps)

Tom Mutaffis
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info but I can't find out what these are?

Double Monster Mini's = A large rubber band that he is attaching to the floor and laying over the bar, this creates a progressive resistance throughout the exercise.

GM from Pins = Good Morning (barbell on your back in squat position, bending at the hips down to a 90 degree angle or close and then back up - lower back exercise) and they are done from the bottom position off of pins in a power rack... reason being that your deadlift starts in the lower position as well.

Hope this helps.

strongkid963
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Is every other week ok?

When I do variations, I normally do good mornings or straight legs on ME days and rack pulls on DE.

when i am not doing tons of strongman training I do 2x week sometimes 1x if i feel beat up.

johnnyo_99
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
i typically take every third week off from deadlifts.

Lones Green
07-25-2008, 03:16 AM
i don't think i've pulled heavy in 2 months...i like to pull light every week though.

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Ive been battling this for awhile.When I pulled every other week,my weights went up.Ive recently been pulling every week and my technique has gotten better,but no progression in weight.I squat and dead on different days,due to some arthritis and degenerative discs.Doing both on the same day cripples me for days.But you just need to experiment and see what works for you.

BULK_BOY
07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Once a week....done "Balls to the Walls" of course........