PDA

View Full Version : 405 raw.....FINALLY!

mikesbench
07-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I've been trying to hit 405 raw for a while now (been like a year and a half since I first did 385...), I don't put a lot of training into raw bench since I compete with a shirt, but it's always been a "side goal" that I've wanted.
Last weekend I also got my first 600 in a shirt, so I definitely feel that when my raw bench comes up it does help my shirted bench (my weakness even in a shirt always seems to be the bottom of the lift) and I've been working my back harder and DB benching more lately to help this, and I guess in doing that I've found out how to raise my raw bench.

Beast Genetics
07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Congrats bro nothing like hitting a goal!!!! :thumbup:

smokinHawk
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
awesome, must feel great,
I have been trying to get a 405 raw bench myself for a while, think im getting close

what weight are you at now?

mikesbench
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys....
Hawk, right now I'm maintaining about 198...so I bounce between the 181 and 198 weight classes. If you hit 405 at around 165 that'll be great! What's your training routine like?

ironmaster
07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
congrats on hitting that 405 goal. very nice lift.

vdizenzo
07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Very cool, great work!

Jonah
07-20-2008, 01:53 PM
600 at 198. I'm jealous.

Nice Job

mikesbench
07-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys, I have a long way to go to catch Vin though; my shirt just gets me to where you are raw!! I remember reading an article of yours on elite and that actually helped me a lot. Thanks everyone for the support, and Vin, thanks for always sharing your knowledge so that we can all progress.

MNRob
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the goal man!

You're not that far from Rochester MN are you?

trainerSI
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
congrats on reaching that milestone. onward and upward....

mikesbench
07-20-2008, 05:31 PM
MNRob..... I'm way down in the southeast corner of WI, basically 1/2 way between Chicago and Milwaukee.

smokinHawk
07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys....
Hawk, right now I'm maintaining about 198...so I bounce between the 181 and 198 weight classes. If you hit 405 at around 165 that'll be great! What's your training routine like?

tuesday i have been focusing on heavy (chest) bench, and back, thrusday squats and deads, then saturday, triceps and bis which has been including allot of close grip benching with chains and boards, and am starting to do some shirt work on saturday.
body weight is around 174-177 usually, but compete at the 165lb class
last tuesday i just barley missed 390 after a workout, should have got it but right arm started to go down half way up, im confident as long as i dont get injured this run ill finally get the 4 plates per side with in the next 2 months.

dang your getting 200lbs on you shirt thats pretty good, what shirt do you have? wish i could get that much and anything out of mine.

WillNoble
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
congrats man

Chris Rodgers
07-20-2008, 08:15 PM
tuesday i have been focusing on heavy (chest) bench, and back, thrusday squats and deads, then saturday, triceps and bis which has been including allot of close grip benching with chains and boards, and am starting to do some shirt work on saturday.
body weight is around 174-177 usually, but compete at the 165lb class
last tuesday i just barley missed 390 after a workout, should have got it but right arm started to go down half way up, im confident as long as i dont get injured this run ill finally get the 4 plates per side with in the next 2 months.

dang your getting 200lbs on you shirt thats pretty good, what shirt do you have? wish i could get that much and anything out of mine.

If you want to get serious about shirt benching, you really need to start training with some guys who know what they are doing. It's not really something you will improve much on without good help and spotting(for safety). With your raw strength you should be able to work your way up to 600+ in a decent shirt. I know you really love the raw stuff and are obviously very good at it, but you may need to back off of it some and focus more on shirt work to get the shirt max up.

Chris Rodgers
07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
And to the OP, congrats on the huge milestone! Now go after 455! :evillaugh:

mikesbench
07-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks Chris, you're exactly right; I was appy for about a day that I got 405; now I'm just looking ahead again. Being satisfied is certain death to your lifts!

Smokinhawk, I have a Rage-X shirt, which is actually old and worn out (like 3 1/2 years old). For whatever reason though I've tried other shirts and this one just always makes me feel more comfortable.

I know a lot of my progress in the past has come after finally pushing past plateaus; so I'm expecting to go deep into the 6's soon, especialy if I can get myself set up witha newer rage-x, or possibly the super phenom.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-21-2008, 06:14 AM
I've been trying to hit 405 raw for a while now (been like a year and a half since I first did 385...), I don't put a lot of training into raw bench since I compete with a shirt, but it's always been a "side goal" that I've wanted.
Last weekend I also got my first 600 in a shirt, so I definitely feel that when my raw bench comes up it does help my shirted bench (my weakness even in a shirt always seems to be the bottom of the lift) and I've been working my back harder and DB benching more lately to help this, and I guess in doing that I've found out how to raise my raw bench.

Congratulations on your 405 unequipped bp:strong::thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

smokinHawk
07-21-2008, 06:27 AM
If you want to get serious about shirt benching, you really need to start training with some guys who know what they are doing. It's not really something you will improve much on without good help and spotting(for safety). With your raw strength you should be able to work your way up to 600+ in a decent shirt. I know you really love the raw stuff and are obviously very good at it, but you may need to back off of it some and focus more on shirt work to get the shirt max up.

yep, me and another guy has been trying to start to train with Mike Wolfe, i think he will help us get to the next level.

good luck mikesbench, keep moving up and stay injury free.
any videos of your lifts with or without a shirt?

Guido
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow! Nice. What type of shirt are using that you almost get 200lbs out of it?

smokinHawk
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! Nice. What type of shirt are using that you almost get 200lbs out of it?

I have a Rage-X shirt, which is actually old and worn out (like 3 1/2 years old). For whatever reason though I've tried other shirts and this one just always makes me feel more comfortable.

I know a lot of my progress in the past has come after finally pushing past plateaus; so I'm expecting to go deep into the 6's soon, especialy if I can get myself set up witha newer rage-x, or possibly the super phenom.
:confused::clown:

thewicked
07-22-2008, 08:00 AM
sick lifting at 198! WOW!

mike42506
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
good job!

mikesbench
07-24-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a few youtube videos that are kind of old and mostly me working with a Metal Bash that I didn't like enough to keep using. My name on there is mikesbench600. I don't have enough posts on here yet to post links to videos.

smokinHawk
07-24-2008, 06:29 AM
here is his channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/mikesbench600

mikesbench
07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Here's a video link of a 365 x 2 I did yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWNKkI_gFo