PDA

View Full Version : Hurt back deadlifting. How long should I sit out for?

Justin Ryan
07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey everyone,

Basic on me: 19 y/o; 154lbs, 6'3.

So on Friday I was deadlifting, I started at 135 to warm up, then 185, then I pulled 215 3x3. I decided I wanted to try 235, I got it my first pull, went back to do another after a few minutes and half way up I felt something weird in my lower back so I just dropped the weight. Since then my lower back has been hurting when I go to sit down or have to bend over. It's not a very bad pain, just dull; still I don't want it to get any worse. How long do you guys think I should sit out for?

Since it happened ive been trying to eat extra and intake a lot more protein n vitamins to help it heal. Also I've been stretching every morning and evening. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Justin Ryan

HP666
07-20-2008, 11:27 AM
At this point rest is the best thing.
And dude, at 6-3, 154, order yourself a couple tubs of this: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=18
Seriously.

cphafner
07-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you pulled some muscles. Take it easy, and don't rush. I made that mistake after pulling muscles doing deads, and it took over a year for it to finally clear up. Make sure you stretch. Do some core ab/back/hip work. You most likely had some muscle imbalances that lead to the strain.

Justin Ryan
07-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I'll take it easy, stetch and do some core workouts. I just can't wait to get back into the gym!

Reko
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
just do whatever doesn't bother your low back until its healed. i know that might not sound like much but you can get creative and make it work.

3whitelights
07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
How long you take out will depend on what you did to your back. Also, stretching can be positive or negative depending on the injury, especially in the case of the lower back. I'd repost with a more in depth description of your injury (what hurts, where, when it hurts, what kind of hurt , etc, etc) to get a better idea of what to expect. Until then or until you see someone for an eval, I'd hold off on the stretching.

trainerSI
07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
like everyone else said, take time off and base that on your recovery rate and how bad the injury is. Once you get back to it, take it easy and build up slowly, concentrating on the form.

Justin Ryan
07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
How long you take out will depend on what you did to your back. Also, stretching can be positive or negative depending on the injury, especially in the case of the lower back. I'd repost with a more in depth description of your injury (what hurts, where, when it hurts, what kind of hurt , etc, etc) to get a better idea of what to expect. Until then or until you see someone for an eval, I'd hold off on the stretching.

Ok. Specifically it hurts when I am sitting down or getting up. Also if I am bending over to pick something up off the ground while keeping straight legs. It hurts the most though when I am like putting on pants or shorts standing up. Like standing up, leaning forward and lifting my right leg to be exact, the left one seems not to bother it. Since friday it's feeling a lot better though. Thats really as specific as I can think of.

Reko
07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
go to a chiro for a better assessment. if it was something minor id just say take it easy, but when you lift your legs and it hurts... ive had docs do that to me to test for herniated discs in the lumbar area. i wouldn't mess around with this injury.

Chris Rodgers
07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok. Specifically it hurts when I am sitting down or getting up. Also if I am bending over to pick something up off the ground while keeping straight legs. It hurts the most though when I am like putting on pants or shorts standing up. Like standing up, leaning forward and lifting my right leg to be exact, the left one seems not to bother it. Since friday it's feeling a lot better though. Thats really as specific as I can think of.

You just described the way I feel every day. Fun eh?

Are deadlifts a new movement for you? Is it just that maybe you are really sore or maybe just a slight strain? If you are already starting to feel better, my guess is it isn't an injury. Just be smart and listen to your body. If you aren't quite sure, see a doc.

Tennessee Mike
07-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Use to happen to me all the time.Either Deadlifts or squats would get me.I strtch every morning,afternoon and night before bed.Matt Kroc gave me the best advice ever...keep moving.Make sure your not laying around or sitting too long.Keep stretchin and staying mobile.It will hurt like hell,but move slow.800mg's of ibuprofen every 4 hrs.Youll be fine in 3-4 days.

zen
07-21-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm gonna guess that most of the achey-pain is on the wane in a week, but it will still feel stiff, tight, and you'll still know it's there. You'll probably need 2 weeks rest for that back, unless you did something more than just a lumbar strain.

alex11012
07-21-2008, 07:15 AM
You just described the way I feel every day. Fun eh?

Are deadlifts a new movement for you? Is it just that maybe you are really sore or maybe just a slight strain? If you are already starting to feel better, my guess is it isn't an injury. Just be smart and listen to your body. If you aren't quite sure, see a doc.

I get a similar problem when doing my heaviest lifts. It does not hurt at the time but there get a slight discomfort (it is not even pain) in my lower back for a few days afterwards. This normally happens when I curl my lower back (not while I'm deadlifting!).

You don't think this is a problem?

3whitelights
07-21-2008, 07:53 AM
It may just be a strained muscle. Is there any pain down the leg? How about rotation? Any visible bruising?

The fact that it hurts when you bend over and keep straight legs tells me you are bending at the lower back rather than at the hips. If I had to guess, you weren't keeping your lower back neutral when you were deadlifting either. In the future, pay attention to this.

Like Mike said, keep moving. Try going on walks, long walks have helped many a back pain sufferer.

Justin Ryan
07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

It may just be a strained muscle. Is there any pain down the leg? How about rotation? Any visible bruising?

The fact that it hurts when you bend over and keep straight legs tells me you are bending at the lower back rather than at the hips. If I had to guess, you weren't keeping your lower back neutral when you were deadlifting either. In the future, pay attention to this.

Yeah, deadlifts are pretty new. I've been using them for about 5~6 weeks I'm guessing.

There's no pain down the leg, none during rotation, and no visible brusing.

I think you're right about bending at the back rather then at the hips. Ill need to work on this a lot.

Today the pain is dulling out. I haven't taken any meds for it since friday, And bending over doesn't hurt as bad. I'm still going to take it easy for a few days, until I know it's good.

Thanks for the advice everyone. You're opnions really helped. I apreciate it!

Justin Ryan
07-21-2008, 09:24 AM
One more question,

Would you guys recomend using a belt while squatting/ deadlifting? would that help me work on my form?

zen
07-21-2008, 09:31 AM
One more question,

Would you guys recomend using a belt while squatting/ deadlifting? would that help me work on my form?

A belt could end up being a bad crutch if you are trying to improve your form.

Sensei
07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
See a doctor. Here's how I've rehabbed my back: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/squats-lower-back-pain-part-ii.html

One last thing that I forgot to include in the blog post - make sure that you aren't spending a lot of time slouched over in a chair. Back flexion is definately NOT your lower back's friend. If you are going to watch tv, lay on your stomach on the floor and prop yourself up on your elbows.

thewicked
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
At this point rest is the best thing.
And dude, at 6-3, 154, order yourself a couple tubs of this: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=18
Seriously.

QFT!

Justin Ryan
07-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. My dad is a doctor so I had him take a look at it. He said nothing was out of wack with my spine and told me too just take it easy for a few days.

Today I woke up and my back felt great. I've been practicing form for my deads and squats in front of a mirror with a broom handle. Also I've been working on bending over just using my hips and trying to keep back flexion to a minimum.

I'm going to go to the gym today and some shoulders and arm work, maybe some core work on my back. Nothing heavy though. We'll see how it goes when I get there.

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone.

God bless