PDA

View Full Version : Advice for explosive strength/power day

METAL VIPER
07-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I am currently employing a push/pull/legs routine M,T,Th and would like to throw in a power day on Friday; nothing too strenuous - I'm just going to do some sort of clean, push presses, and power shrugs. I'm looking for advice on the rep range/intensity optimal for producing results. How close to failure should I go? Any help is much appreciated

Tom Mutaffis
07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Are you training legs on Thursday? Doing your plyometrics or speed training the day after leg training may not be the best for recovery, both muscular and CNS.

METAL VIPER
07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, I am training legs Thursday. It was an initial concern that the lack of recovery would hamper gains, although I've continued strength gains on my leg numbers...although I wonder if it still is adversely affecting it...maybe I'll experiment with my training schedule

HP666
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey Viper, nice avatar. Warms my heart, brings me back to the day when Metallica were good and cared about the music rather than the almighty $$$$. FYI, I saw Metallica with Cliff Burton back in the day, and I remember the day he was killed. I remember because of all things was at a Bob Seger concert at the Brendan Byrne Arena/Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center now. I had a free ticket given to me, it was actually a great show. We left teh show, got in the car to come home and turned on the radio. The first thing we heard was the discussion of the accident and that Cliff was killed. Talk about a buzz killer.

Tom Mutaffis
07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, I am training legs Thursday. It was an initial concern that the lack of recovery would hamper gains, although I've continued strength gains on my leg numbers...although I wonder if it still is adversely affecting it...maybe I'll experiment with my training schedule

I would change things up a bit in your routine, although it sounds like you are just trying to add in a little speed and conditioning work.

For what you actually do in the gym I would suggest some light complexes. For example: Deadlift / power clean / front squat / push jerk / jump squats / BTN press / front squat / drop weight = one rep. (of course you could start out with something more simple like deadlift / power clean / front squat / push jerk / front squat / back down to floor). Pick a weight that is easy for you like 135 lbs and do these for sets of 5 repetitions and then rest for a minute or two between them. Your conditioning workouts do not need to be long, I would keep them around 20 minutes. Maybe throw in some kind of plyometrics such as box jumps, standing broad jumps, or med ball tosses to finish things up.

Hope this helps.