PDA

View Full Version : Dietary Must Do's for Bulking

motor head
07-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Im curious if theres anything that you should definately have for a bulk. Besides just eat alot. Should I find some sort of shake? Power bars/energy bars? Anything that not having might be like cutting yourself short? I know the eat alot thing so besides that...???:confused:

TopCat
07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Water, plenty of rest and don't overtrain. Might also want to take creatine and fish oil capsules if you don't get enough fish oil. Be sure to control your gains and go slow and steady.

cphafner
07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
You're being a little to specific in your question...not quite sure what you're looking for.

Eat whatever gets you to the calorie intake you need. If you can't eat enough then drinking calories is fine. Shakes are a great quick way to down calories. Throw protein, milk, oats, olive oil, peanut butter, etc. in a blender and chug away.

RhodeHouse
07-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Beef
Chicken
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Whole Milk
Whole Eggs
1 gallon of Gatorade everyday
Bread

After that, ANYTHING you want to eat is fine. Nut up and start putting on the lbs. If you start to get fat, deal with it. It's part of the process. Increase your cardio a little bit and you'll be fine.

190lbDumbell
07-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Rhode:

Just wanted to ask you about the gallon of G-ade thing. Could be that I'm doing it f***ed, but I tend to do the Gatorade immediately pre-workout & mid-workout but afterwards tend to favor water & milk (unless my workday has me crawling around an attic in the summer heat, and I'm wanting to put back what I'm sweating out).

My thought process is that I'm getting carbs out of the Gatorade that I don't necessarily need, post workout. Your thoughts on it appear different, and wanted to get your take on that.

bjohnso
07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Rhode:

Just wanted to ask you about the gallon of G-ade thing. Could be that I'm doing it f***ed, but I tend to do the Gatorade immediately pre-workout & mid-workout but afterwards tend to favor water & milk (unless my workday has me crawling around an attic in the summer heat, and I'm wanting to put back what I'm sweating out).

My thought process is that I'm getting carbs out of the Gatorade that I don't necessarily need, post workout. Your thoughts on it appear different, and wanted to get your take on that.

You probably want to keep your glycogen stores maxed out during a bulk. That's what I would do, anyway.

RedSpikeyThing
07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
DO drink as many calories as possible.
DO eat as much dead animal as possible.
DO get asked if you have a hollow leg on a daily basis.
DO get kicked out of an all you can eat buffet twice per week.
DO get your name and face known at McDonald's.

JSully
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
:withstupi:

must eat beef
must eat chicken
must eat eggs

AT LEAST one of those three, preferably 2 out of the 3 and super preferably all 3 EVERY DAY

must down at LEAST 2 shakes per day (pre and post workout)

must eat potatoes
must eat rice
must eat pasta

AT LEAST one of those three, preferably 2 out of the 3 and super preferably all 3 EVERY DAY

must train hard
must train frequently
must sleep 8-10hours daily
must squat 1-2x per week
must bench 1-2x per week
must deadlift 1-2x perweek

above steps required..

now, get huge!

JSully
07-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I can't wait to start bulking again in december!!

Gable
07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
I think Rhodes covered it well.

Eat more than your maintenance, and NOT in crap.. at least... not all the time.

Oh, and enjoy it.. bulking is fun.. cutting sucks, IMHO.

Good luck.

Guido
07-22-2008, 10:39 AM
DO drink as many calories as possible.
DO eat as much dead animal as possible.
DO get asked if you have a hollow leg on a daily basis.
DO get kicked out of an all you can eat buffet twice per week.
DO get your name and face known at McDonald's.
I found this quite amusing, but it's also true (except I'd pick Arby's over McD's).

Tennessee Mike
07-22-2008, 11:08 AM
-Eat every 2 and a half hours you are awake
-Stick to heavy,basic movements,low reps

And for god sake,implement some kind of conditioning work.Theres no reason to be fat and unhealthy.If that makes sense.

Focused70
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I found this quite amusing, but it's also true (except I'd pick Arby's over McD's).

Oh I dunno. Big Macs win out over roast beef. ;)

motor head
07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
-Eat every 2 and a half hours you are awake
-Stick to heavy,basic movements,low reps

And for god sake,implement some kind of conditioning work.Theres no reason to be fat and unhealthy.If that makes sense.

conditioning work? what do u mean?

bjohnso
07-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Cardio or some kind of endurance work (high rep stuff).

Tennessee Mike
07-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Something other than your training that gets your heart rate up.Whenever you put on weight,you run the risk of getting into bad cardio health.Many powerlifters and off season bodybuilders become slow,out of breath easy,and sleep horrible.Just 20-30 minutes 3 times a week is better than nothing.I wouldnt reccomend running though.This will hamper your muscle building and weight gain.

Shouji
07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
McDonalds is awesome. Nutrition facts for their $1 Double Cheeseburger is 400 calories and 20g of protein. I'm able to down about 3-4 of those at a time with a sweet tea. 1600 calories and 80g protein for under 5 dollars.

Persicutor
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
McDonalds is awesome. Nutrition facts for their $1 Double Cheeseburger is 400 calories and 20g of protein. I'm able to down about 3-4 of those at a time with a sweet tea. 1600 calories and 80g protein for under 5 dollars.

Don't forget the fat and sodium content. Bulking doesn't mean eating unhealthy, but I do agree having 4 hamburgers once and a while is awesome :D

Shouji
07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Oh yeah, def would NOT recommend eating McD everyday, but if I find that I'm lazy, a bit short on calories, than McD is the perfect choice. But yeah, of those 1600 calories, half of it is fat.

emjlr3
07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
that majority being sat. fat

RhodeHouse
07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Rhode:

Carbs are the best friend of ANYONE trying to bulk. Gaining weight is not about counting carbs, protein, and fat. It's about eating your face off. The Gatorade is easy carbs that keep you hydrated. It also has sodium, contrary to another potser, sodium is wonderful when gaining weight. It keeps your muscles full of water. This a good thing. The more filled your muscles are, the stronger you'll be. More weight moved in the gym = bigger muscles.

RhodeHouse
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah, def would NOT recommend eating McD everyday, but if I find that I'm lazy, a bit short on calories, than McD is the perfect choice. But yeah, of those 1600 calories, half of it is fat.

Why not? It worked well for me. Don't give me the whole "it's bad food" crap, either. If you're training hard, your body will process that food just like all the other food you eat. If you're training and eating enough, your body will turn into a furnace. At 320lbs, I absolutely know what I'm talking about.

McDonalds IS the food of the Gods.

Tennessee Mike
07-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Why not? It worked well for me. Don't give me the whole "it's bad food" crap, either. If you're training hard, your body will process that food just like all the other food you eat. If you're training and eating enough, your body will turn into a furnace. At 320lbs, I absolutely know what I'm talking about.

Exactly.Good food,bad food,it all has carbs,protein,and fat.Use it to your advantage.Mcdonalds PR's should be a goal as well.

Mad Max
07-24-2008, 05:08 AM
McDonalds is awesome. Nutrition facts for their $1 Double Cheeseburger is 400 calories and 20g of protein. I'm able to down about 3-4 of those at a time with a sweet tea. 1600 calories and 80g protein for under 5dollars.

They contain 29g of protein here in England.

I do use Mcdonalds for bulking, but now I am absolutely sick of it. I'd much rather have cooked unporcessed meat with rice or bread, but that's too expensive.

Whole milk is pretty much my best friend for bulking.

BigTallOx
07-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Good food,bad food,it all has carbs,protein,and fat.Use it to your advantage.

Yeah, it all has carbs,protein and fat, but not all carbs,protein and fat are the same.

Personally, I think there are better ways to bulk than eating at McDonalds. But if that's your thing have at it. But at least for me, I feel my strongest when I stop eating fast foods and basically cook everything myself.

Tennessee Mike
07-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah, it all has carbs,protein and fat, but not all carbs,protein and fat are the same.

Personally, I think there are better ways to bulk than eating at McDonalds. But if that's your thing have at it. But at least for me, I feel my strongest when I stop eating fast foods and basically cook everything myself.

Well,thats great for you.But some guys cant gain weight no matter how many chix breasts and rice they eat.If your trying to bulk,then bodyfat should be of little concern.I have kids I work with from 16-21 that are doing 2 a days(football) and cant eat enough to counteract with the amount of calories they are burning.I order them to stop and grab a wendys classic triple or a Hardees thickburger when their out with their friends at night.Theyve been told their whole life that fast food is bad.But when they see the weight coming on and their strength going up,thats out the window.The only reason that fast food gets a bad rap is because of fat people.The whole idea of a "clean bulk" is an oxymoron.How can you bulk,with no fat.This is assuming that eating alot of low fat foods will put weight on you that will be predominately lean muscle.Thats simply not true.A surplus of calories,combined with heavy-compound exercises will result in more muscle mass than a diet consisting of low fat,lower calories.Fat is energy,fat lubricates joints.Carbs are energy,carbs help you train harder,longer.

Mad Max
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
^^

I agree with the man from Tennessee. Someone who trains their ass off can and should eat fast food. It's an excellent way of getting in lots of calories whilst on the go. The difference between clean and dirty bulking is minimal in my experience.

RhodeHouse
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

In all seriousness, how big are you? I ask only because it's ALWAYS the skinny 180-200lb guys that try to tell me eating McDonalds is bad for you. The same guys try to tell me that eating healthy is the best way to gain weight. I agree, you should eat clean most of the day. But, one meal from McDonalds will not hurt you one bit. Your body doesn't care what "kinds" of carbs, fat or protein it gets. it just needs the nutrients to grow and repair itself.

Speaking from experience, I have a little bit of knowledge on this very simple, yet over-complicated (by skinny people) process.

And, as for you feeling your strongest without fast food - clearly, you've never loaded up to train. Anyone who's worth a $hit will tell you that the worse you feel, the better you lift. The more bloat and discomfort you're feeling, the more loaded with water and nutrients your muscles are. Strength is not an achievement that comes with comfort. If you think it does, you are not very strong. The good thing is, you've got a lot of room for improvement. Gotta stay positive.

motor head
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
lots of great info in this thread, thanx

RedSpikeyThing
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
If you're training hard, your body will process that food just like all the other food you eat.

Sorry, the pencil-necked scientists have proven that trans fats are not metabolized by the body like any other fats.

TopCat
07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry, the pencil-necked scientists have proven that trans fats are not metabolized by the body like any other fats.

We all know Rhodes specialty is not the finer details, but rather making blunt points that often many newbies trying to gain weight don't understand. But, I totally agree with you. The finer details are OFTEN overlooked/thrown aside on this site.

I feel like I am beating a horse that was already shot months ago but...

Yes, there are better choices than MDs. If you don't have time/money/balls to eat large quantities of said better foods then it works. On my UD2 cut desperate times would call for 2 stack attacks -mayo, -1 set of buns to make a quick, cheap, protein quad burger meal.

But, one meal from McDonalds will not hurt you one bit.

motor head
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
dont forget about the stuff in it that is actually bad for you. Like cholesterol and preservatives.

FootballLifter
07-24-2008, 11:17 PM

I agree and by the way you are awesome.

edit: I agree to a certain point but it all depends on the rest of your lifestlye (training, rest, age, ect.)

I do not think I will be able to process the same foods I do now as well as when I am over the hill.

But some people train hard enough and those other things may not matter maybe?

RhodeHouse
07-25-2008, 05:32 AM

I don't care what some useless scientist "proved". I've been around too many big, strong people to worry about what some pencil-neck says. The proof is in the pudding. I've explained many times how I ate when I was having trouble gaining weight. I've always said to eat clean, but don't be afraid to eat McDonald;s 1x per day. You can nitpick me all you want, but at the end of the day, I've been there and done that. I've gained 35lbs since April. My bodyfat has decreased. You tell me that I'm wrong.

Besides, how are you going to tell me I'm wrong and don't know how to gain weight. You're 160lbs, for god's sake. And, your little friend, TopCat is 204. Really? You guys are gonna tell me I don't know what I'm talking about? To the OP, who's advice are you gonna listen to? 2 guys who barely outweigh me, or 1 guy who's been the skinny guy and is now the jacked guy?

The ONLY time you need to sweat the FINER details is when you're prepping for a contest. Any more thought into the FINER points as a non-competitor, gaining weight, is a colassal waste of time and energy. It's really not as hard as you guys like to make it. I guess at your experience level, and based on your bodyweights, stressing about the FINER points is all you have to fall back on. Clearly, your training isn't going that well if you still weigh 160lbs and 204lbs, respectively. How do you train, read, eat, and make no noticable progress? I'd kill myself if I spent all that time reading and discussing useless info and made little to no progress. But, I don't have to worry about stuff like that. I've figured this simple game out.

RedSpikeyThing
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Read what my comment was in regards to. You're obviously good at gaining weight, I'm not criticizing you for that. I'm criticizing you for your blatant ignorance of science.
And as far as my training goes, my goal isn't to gain weight. I've put on 25 lbs, which ain't bad for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Check out my log in the fall and you'll see the weight coming on...it's a financial problem right now :(

RhodeHouse
07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Read what my comment was in regards to. You're obviously good at gaining weight, I'm not criticizing you for that. I'm criticizing you for your blatant ignorance of science.
And as far as my training goes, my goal isn't to gain weight. I've put on 25 lbs, which ain't bad for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Check out my log in the fall and you'll see the weight coming on...it's a financial problem right now :(

Blatant ignorance of science? Maybe the scientists should study REAL strength athletes, not untrained, overweight, pieces of crap to find out what REALLY works. I've read the books. One book on nutrition is worth a $hit. Sam Byrd and Vincent Dizenzo endorse it - that's good enough for everyone. Nutrient Timing. Can't remember the author.

Don't act all high and mighty because you can read a book. I've done plenty of reading in my time. Plenty. Nothing takes the place of real life training and trial and error. Nothing. No overeducated pencil-neck with an agenda is going to tell me I'm wrong, because I've proven I'm right. Study great lifters and do what they do. That's all the science you need.

RedSpikeyThing
07-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Blatant ignorance of science? Maybe the scientists should study REAL strength athletes, not untrained, overweight, pieces of crap to find out what REALLY works. I've read the books. One book on nutrition is worth a $hit. Sam Byrd and Vincent Dizenzo endorse it - that's good enough for everyone. Nutrient Timing. Can't remember the author.

Don't act all high and mighty because you can read a book. I've done plenty of reading in my time. Plenty. Nothing takes the place of real life training and trial and error. Nothing. No overeducated pencil-neck with an agenda is going to tell me I'm wrong, because I've proven I'm right. Study great lifters and do what they do. That's all the science you need.

dude I wasn't talking about lifters. I'm talking about health and nutrition. Trans fats are not digested like, well, real fats. Don't get me wrong you know your **** and your good at what you do. So are all the others. I'm not denying that it's good for getting big big either.

RhodeHouse
07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
dude I wasn't talking about lifters. I'm talking about health and nutrition. Trans fats are not digested like, well, real fats. Don't get me wrong you know your **** and your good at what you do. So are all the others. I'm not denying that it's good for getting big big either.

Sometimes, you have to throw health to the wind and go for your goals. Football wasn't healthy, but I'd do it all over again. I understand not wanting to jeopardize your long-term health, but come on. Live a little. You don't know what your body can do unless you test it.

borracho
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
:withstupi:

must eat beef
must eat chicken
must eat eggs

AT LEAST one of those three, preferably 2 out of the 3 and super preferably all 3 EVERY DAY.....
above steps required..

now, get huge!

This should be a stickey