PDA

View Full Version : Front squats > back

TJM
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
does anyone else think front squats are superior to back squats for developing carry over strength for deadlifts?

Reko
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I dont. I think it is a little too quad dominate of a lift. IT cetainly would help off the floor or with the start perhaps (if you pull conventional) but there is too much hip and back involved in the DL to say front squats are better than back squats for carry over IMO.

However, I am kind of going off of the idea its either front squats or PL style wider stance that puts more of an emphasis on the same muscles that are big in the pull.

smokinHawk
07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
for deads you really need your glutes and hams to fire which atf back squats hit hard.

Reko
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
actually, to follow up and posibly contradict myself, if your posterior chain is really strong relative to your quads, then you will likely see more gains fro ma quad type lift as they are a weakness. Just something to keep in mind.

Detard
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Personally, I think deep back squats and front squats really help with speed off the floor while pulling sumo. This is the case for me at least. I find that when my lockout is much stronger than my off the floor, I will hit deep back and front squats for a few months, which brings up my floor speed.

strongkid963
07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
front squats hit the abs in a way similarly needed for conventional deadlifts do alot of ab work for couple weeks and you'll see an increase in strength off the floor(i think so).

i like them alot cuz i have problem with form on raw back squats

thewicked
07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
i've been doing front squats for awhile now heavily and am liking what I'm seeing. It really focus on having you sit back but stay up and tight throughout the movement..i think they compliment the deadlift just as much as they compliment a traditional squat in that respect. MUCH harder as well to do than an conventional squat with teh same weight.