PDA

View Full Version : Shirt Workout from 7.22

Travis Bell
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I posted that this was my last shirt workout, but I double checked my calendar and I lift on the 22nd of August so I'm exactly 4 weeks out which gives me a choice of doing the shirt again next week. I'll play it by ear I guess.

Here's video from this week. Vin, tell me what you think on my form. I felt like it was a little better this week, but watching the video I think I'm still losing my arch a little as the bar comes down.

I missed that 675 about halfway up so thats why I did the 3brd work after the shirt. The Tate presses are there just because I had a few questions on how I did them

cN-eXT2Zzcc

BFGUITAR
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Awesome! What is the point of a tate press?

Lones Green
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
god you are one strong mother travis.

i feel rediculous commenting on your pressing, haha

is your butt on the bench the whole time? i couldn't tell from that angle. its not like it's shooting WAY up in the air or anything, nothing a little sticky tack won't fix :evillaugh:

i think the tate press is kind of like a JM press, in a sense that it dosen't have to be executed perfectly to get the benefits. when i do them, i try to keep my elbows out as much as i can, because i feel it better in the extensors. i think whichever way you can feel them best, do em' that way! this is more of the way i like to do them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Sasf6aVF9M&feature=related

good luck at the meet big guy! i'm expecting BIG numbers...then a BIG SQUAT!!!!!

Lones Green
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Awesome! What is the point of a tate press?

its a movement to strengthen the triceps. they may look weird, but try them! .

Travis Bell
07-22-2008, 03:41 PM
is your butt on the bench the whole time? i couldn't tell from that angle. its not like it's shooting WAY up in the air or anything, nothing a little sticky tack won't fix :evillaugh:

On the 675 it wasn't, which is why I look really unstable when I took it out. I was really wobbly.

When I keep my elbows out on the Tate's they tend to put alot of stress on my shoulders. Lones is right, they are for the triceps

Ben Moore
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Awesome work man!

jbrin0tk
07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I do my Tate Presses the way the guy is in the video that Lones linked.

weasel
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
wow thats some awsome work man.

Erik 23
07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Nice work Travis those presses looked real strong does it make a difference if the dumbells on the tate presses touch or not the whole way thru the movement. i heard it brings in more triceps with the weights touching the whole way thru how does louie have you guys do them?

FFHill
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice work Travis.

vdizenzo
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Travis, as always I will start with you are one strong mofo. I definitely think you did a better job of keeping your arch up and having your belly meet the bar. I think you would benefit a great deal by brining the bar lower on your board presses. It seems that is the transition point where you lost that 675. Brining the bar lower on the boards will mimic that transition. You need to push the weight back and up like you do on your full range shirt press.

Travis Bell
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Vin! I can definatly see what you mean by bringing the bar down a little lower. If I were in my shirt and going full range, I'd never go in a straight line like that. Maybe this would force me to keep my elbows in as well? I just now noticed that it appears I flared them too much on the board presses. Well, flared them too early I guess.

what I think I'm going to do for next week is 2brd with chain weight for a single and then throw on the shirt and hit 635 and 675 again. I'll make sure I get some more video as this is greatly helpful. Thanks again

Travis Bell
07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
how does louie have you guys do them?

that right there would be the way Lou taught me to do them. Touching them is fine if you have octagonal dumbbells, but try it with those round ones sometime. It just makes it more sloppy. The best weights for them is ball bells but those are pretty much antiques.

Erik 23
07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
that right there would be the way Lou taught me to do them. Touching them is fine if you have octagonal dumbbells, but try it with those round ones sometime. It just makes it more sloppy. The best weights for them is ball bells but those are pretty much antiques.

Okay thanx for the response Travis I havent done Tate presses in awhile but when i did i prefered them the way you do them but i always tried to touch them because thats what i heard was that they were supposed to be touching the whole way thru. Ball bells are the best? i have to check them out on the internet i never heard of them they sound old Lol Thanx again Travis

thewicked
07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
SICK PRESSING! 545 ON A 3BRD IS NASTY AS HELL!

why do you like tate presses so much?

Travis Bell
07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
You won't find these (http://bp3.blogger.com/_YyoU0unwdog/RycVlPIWvCI/AAAAAAAAAIs/nPtnfuY-01U/s1600-h/Cyr_bell.jpg) anywhere. I've only seen them at one gym that I've been a member at. They do work really well for Tates though. Other than that, they are kinda useless other than looking pretty cool

chris mason
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Great job Travis

Nikk
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Very strong pressing Travis. Appreciate you taking the time to record your supplemental/accessory lifts. I would be reading your log and have no idea what Pannora Presses or Tate's are, thanks for putting that on the vid.

fooz
07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Is it me, or is your ass off the bench? I can't tell haha

strongkid963
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Is it me, or is your ass off the bench? I can't tell haha

x2..

vdizenzo
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Guys, don't worry about the ass off the bench thing. That is easily fixed by foot placement.

3whitelights
07-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Guys, don't worry about the ass off the bench thing. That is easily fixed by foot placement.

True. I put on a pair of oly shoes, bring my feet out a bit, and I can leg-drive all I want and my ass is glued to the bench.