PDA

View Full Version : Why Is being taller such a disadvantage??

Wolfgar73
03-26-2002, 02:44 AM
Im 6'2 around 230lbs and have been bodybuilding about a year and 4 months..When i figure out how to Ill post some picts..anyway I think Im built pretty good,,good chest and shoulders and Legs..I need some back and arm work..well It seems to compete Im gonna have to get up to 250 or 260..man thats a lot of weight to carry around!!!! But my shorter friends who are 5'9 and '5'7 look huge at 225 to 230..is this just a fact in body building I have to face and accept??? For my height i m gonna have to just pack on the mass to get look as huge as them???

heathj
03-26-2002, 08:51 AM
Yep. Think of it this way. If your shorter you are more compact, so if you weigh as much as someone who is 6" taller then you, you will look way bigger because they are more compact. Put a man who weighs 200 lbs. @ 5'6 next to a man who weighs 200 lbs. @ 6'2 with the same bodyfat. The 5'6 man will look like he is much bigger...even though they are the same weight.

bazilbb
04-03-2002, 06:53 PM
i am 6'1" at 206
guys the size of danny de-vito have bigger looking guns then me even if they have 1" shorter arms
same goes for strength in bench press and squat

InferiorDesign
04-03-2002, 06:55 PM
i think of it as an advantage, your a bigger person so obviously you can eat a crapload more, chics like tall guys, and you have the ability to pack on sooo much more poundage, how many 5'6 guys weigh 295? its alot easier to be that big and heavy at 6'5. and the short guys dont get any bigger, they just eat alot more for their size

InferiorDesign
04-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Also i learned that big guys have to work more on mass movements while short guys can do whatever, beleive me, it helps

YatesNightBlade
04-04-2002, 02:17 AM
Being a tall guy (6ft 2.5") I understand what your saying. It IS harder ..... but in the long run .... you'll look bigger then the shorter guy becasue you can carry muscle better. Tall AND wide. You've got longer arms .... longer legs .... squatting is hard etc etc.

body
04-04-2002, 01:55 PM
I do not think arnie was harmed by being tall.

I think it helps to be a talll mesomorph like arnie as he has bigger so you already are big to start with.

tall people are capable of putting on more weight though.
also taller people have longer muscle which can look better as well.

Reinier
04-05-2002, 03:33 AM
arnie aint that tall.
i think he was like 178 cm and they always shoot him in an upward angle in movies.
gunter schlierkamp is 189 cm or so i think. tallest pro (unless you call ' the gut' kovacs a pro)

I`m 193 cm, it ll be long before ill actually look like i lift...

body
04-06-2002, 01:42 AM
arnie was taller than 178cm as he was over 6 foot.
lou feringo is about 6 foot 5

Shocker
04-06-2002, 02:13 AM
Tall is good.
It is the one thing that that is unchangeable about your physique. If you are too skinny then start eating and lifting. If you are too short well, then you have something to complain about.

That's the way I see it anyway.
Why complain about it being harder? Just work.

Reinier
04-06-2002, 06:48 AM
how tall is kovacs?
he must be really tall to have been a fairly lean 400 lbs.
(even when a good 75 lbs of that is excess bowels)

InferiorDesign
04-06-2002, 07:03 AM
tall people are skinny becuase they dont eat enough for their size. if you eat a ton more than anyone else youll be able to put on muscle like them

bigassdan
05-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Arnold is 6'2, the same as Gunter. and same as me only they weigh bout 90 lbs more than me damn it!!:(

Reinier
05-01-2002, 12:16 PM
is he really 6"2 ?

and isn`t gunter much taller?

bigassdan
05-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Yep, which reminds me.....I've seen a lot of misquotes about Arnolds stats.....I might post this elsewhere but here you go.
This is quoted from a book that Arnold co-authored called Education of a Bodybuilder

Height: 6'2
Weight 235 pounds
Arms: 22"
Chest: 52"
Waist: 34"
Thighs: 28.5"
Calves: 20"

Pretty amazing but true. Arnold was the damn man. and Gunter is my new favorite.

InferiorDesign
05-05-2002, 07:19 AM
you cant be a stump and be a pro, stumps dont look good :)

Reinier
05-05-2002, 08:16 AM
if gunter is 6"2 then them other pros are just fookin midgets. i thought he looked like 6"9 in them comparison poses

WillyTheGreat
05-30-2002, 07:38 PM
I'd have to say that tall people who work out and have bulk or are cut look better than shorter guys.

I'm almost 6' 4'' and one of the reasons I've gotten into bodybuilding is so I can put on some mass so I don't look so skinny and I can get back to my intimidating self. =)

And it's true...most girls seem to like tall guys...wooooooooo hooooooo!

Spawn_X
08-19-2002, 09:03 PM
After about 50 posts non-related to what I was looking for I finally found the "height" post.

So let me sum this up..

being tall (6'1) is harder to start up (more movement), but you have more potential (more "area" to grow muscle on)?

I'm 200lb and have a very good frame, but my benchpress gains suck compared to everything else... (I go down all the way till the bar touches my chest). I've seen some "tall" guys go down half way and they look buff/cut - what's up with that?

orangecrush
09-02-2002, 01:13 PM
How do you think I feel. I have about 37" length arms, and I am only 6 feet tall. But I can't complain...it's nice for basketball.

Big J
09-13-2002, 09:39 AM
I'm between 5' 10.5" & 5' 11" so I just say I'm 5' 11". I'm around 205 pds. now.

I've always complained about being short. Most of my friends have me beat by about 2+ inches. I definately wouldn't complain about being tall. LOL, I would trade ya if I could.
I just made the powerlifting team at college (this being my freshman year). A lot of the bigger (both short & tall), more experienced guys(Juniors & Seniors) tell me I'm gonna be one hell of a lifter in a few years. They told me I had the perfect "build" to lift.
I was just curious as why someone like me (5'10" & 5'11") can be built "so much better" than someone 6'4" & 6'5". To me the taller guys have so much more room to pack on mass. Like on the World Strong Man Championships where they have to stack the big round rocks. The taller guys always win.
lol, I don't think I helped this post any, but I figured I'd post my opinions anyway ;).

Relentless
09-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by InferiorDesign
you cant be a stump and be a pro, stumps dont look good :)

Dr. Franco Columbu might argue that point.
http://digilander.libero.it/mrolympia2/fc27.jpg

TerraChyld
09-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Well I'm 6'4" too and yes, I believe that it will be harder to have the same comparative appearance as the 5'8" blokes of the same weight. Imagine what someone of 6'4" would appear like if he has the same comparitive build to Lee Priest? He'd weigh more than a tank. LOL.

I'll do a comparison on that now... Lee Priest is 5'4" tall. I have a clear 12 inches over him. I weigh more than he does now when he is in competition form (now I feel shyte). That would mean that in order to look even remotely like Mr Priest comparitively, I would need to weigh in at 273lbs at competition stage. Damn, I'm only 43lbs off as it is.

My lean mass is 186lbs. So if I lost all my bodyfat now, since I have 19% bodyfat, I'd have to gain 90lbs of pure muscle to look remotely similar in comparison.

I have a 38" Waist, but 2.5 years ago, I was a 32. I know under here that I have a good frame to start from but in comparison, I'd have to put on 15% more muscle than Mr Priest.

Now THAT sucks. But the good thing is, my 19% bodyfat is easily hidden under a t-shirt. And yes, being tall does have it's advantages in some cases.