PDA

View Full Version : Next Step - Straight PL routine

lakeripple
07-23-2008, 12:35 AM
I went out for lunch with the head of the BC Powerlifting Association, who also turns out to be a prof at my Uni, mainly talked about taking the next step in straight PL training. Tomorrow is going to be my first day lifting just for strength, we're going to build a routine focusing on augmenting the big three. We discussed the different phases of a cycle, and how to build up to improving your strength and peaking at competitions.

I'm starting this journal to better track my routine as it changes and use it as reference for later, as well, I'm sure there are many people here that would be interested in my training as well.

My goal is to prepare for the November lift meet as if I were to compete, although my plan is to sit this one out and get a feel for it.

Szust
07-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm glad I caught this as you started it. I hope to see the kind of training you undergo and your progress. I was thinking of soon competing myself, so I'll be looking in here often.

lakeripple
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm going to edit this post a little later, but for the time being I'm going to dump as much of the info, as best as I can.

First of all, the importance of actually training with someone that competes / knows his **** can't be stressed. It's one thing to read on it, or watch a video, it's another to experience good form in your own eyes. Today was chest day, and the first thing we covered was form. I thought I had my form down fairly well, I couldn't have been more ****ing wrong. I thought I had a decent arch, I was wrong. We covered the regulations of benching, and I trained the rest of my reps on his commands.

As I mentioned in the above post, I don't plan on competing in my first meet, however I plan on being in competition shape for it. My training is going to be broken down into two "cycles", each of these "cycles consists of three phases. The first phase is going to last three weeks, the second two weeks, and the last a week. That's going to be a total 12 weeks before my first competition. I'm going to be working out either 3 or 4 days a week.

During the first phase, I'm going to be training with lighter weights, high volume, and I'm going to include exercises that augment the big three. I may include more "light" workout days during this phase, that are similar to the usual workouts but with lighter weights.

Going into the second phase, I'm going to increase me weights and reduce my volume, focusing on hitting my goals for one or two reps, with everything before that being a warm-up. I'm going to still augment my training with other exercises, but these are going to be light and not as numerous as phase one.

Phase 3 is the week of trying for the PRs, after phase 3 I'm going to take a week and a half off to rest before starting going to the competition and hopefully peak during that time.

I'll post more when I wake up.