PDA

View Full Version : Which Bench Press Title Is More Prestigious To You?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Which title is more prestigious or more important to you?

1. IPF World Bp Title

2. Pro Federation Bp Title

3. Federation National Bp Title

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

Eric Downey
07-23-2008, 09:38 AM
All time record. No matter what the fed. A weight class record is a weight class record. If i had to choose a Pro title.

3whitelights
07-23-2008, 10:06 AM
"All time record" is a stupid idea. To compare things like an IPF squat and a WPO squat is straight ridiculous. Even in the same gear, different federations judge differently.

I'd say the IPF title holds the most water since most of the big international benchers compete, and they hold the strictest standard. After that I'd say the pro title. You're still compairing apples and oranges though.

Travis Bell
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
This whole topic will do nothing but create controversy and arguments. Just lift where you want and have fun. I respect anyone who takes the platform

Ben Moore
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
"All time record" is a stupid idea. To compare things like an IPF squat and a WPO squat is straight ridiculous. Even in the same gear, different federations judge differently.

I'd say the IPF title holds the most water since most of the big international benchers compete, and they hold the strictest standard. After that I'd say the pro title. You're still compairing apples and oranges though.

3WL - just curious - who are you and where do you train? I'm confuse by some of your posts if you are training for SM or PL.

3whitelights
07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I compete mostly in strongman, but I come from a PLing background and do PL meets from time to time. I've even done an olympic lifting meet in the past, as I see no need to specialize completely right now (though once I get my BW where it needs to be I'll start focusing exclusively on SM to get my pro-card). Even as a SM competitor, I have hosted USAPL meets in the past and like to support the sport of powerlifting as best I can (we are all brothers in iron). My name is Steve Trippe and I am from NYC, though I am interning in VA.

Travis is probably right about this stirring up controversy. Ultimately, we all lift for the same reasons, and I didn't mean for my post to take anyone away from anyone that competes in any particular federation. A WPO squat is different than an IPF squat, not necessarily better or worse. Like I said, no one is necessarily better, it is apples and oranges.

Ben Moore
07-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I compete mostly in strongman, but I come from a PLing background and do PL meets from time to time. I've even done an olympic lifting meet in the past, as I see no need to specialize completely right now (though once I get my BW where it needs to be I'll start focusing exclusively on SM to get my pro-card). Even as a SM competitor, I have hosted USAPL meets in the past and like to support the sport of powerlifting as best I can (we are all brothers in iron). My name is Steve Trippe and I am from NYC, though I am interning in VA.

Travis is probably right about this stirring up controversy. Ultimately, we all lift for the same reasons, and I didn't mean for my post to take anyone away from anyone that competes in any particular federation. A WPO squat is different than an IPF squat, not necessarily better or worse. Like I said, no one is necessarily better, it is apples and oranges.

I didn't mean anything about you stirring up controversy. I was just genuinely curious. I am stepping into PL out of SM so I was wondering if I knew you.

3whitelights
07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I didn't mean anything about you stirring up controversy. I was just genuinely curious. I am stepping into PL out of SM so I was wondering if I knew you.

The controversy thing was directed at Travis' post. I know I didn't say anything offensive, but sometimes the "IPF vs. WPO" thing can be taken out of context. Too many people get hung up on stupid things without realizing we should stand united.

I've competed mostly across the northeast as a 165lber in the USAPL (and an IPA meet) and I've done a few meets for strongman as well, the only pro-am meet being "Stronger than All" in New Haven CT. Unless you did that meet or attended one of my meets (USAPL meets in Rochester NY) then I doubt we've met.

Why the transition to PL? Preference for ME work?

Ben Moore
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Attained my goal of becoming pro and didn't really have anything planned after that, LOL. Plus family being a priority prevents me from travelling, training events etc.

vdizenzo
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
All time record of course. I like saying that because I held the 275 record for a little while. It was something I will never forget. Ryan and Crawford were tied for it. Two guys I really admire.

Eric Downey
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
3WL I didnt take offence to what you wrote. I dont compete usapl or ipf b/c i dont want to nor can afford to travel to Prague or some other place like that to compete.

pocoloco blanka
07-23-2008, 07:43 PM
This whole topic will do nothing but create controversy and arguments. Just lift where you want and have fun. I respect anyone who takes the platform
spoken like a true champion.....:)

3whitelights
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
3WL I didnt take offence to what you wrote. I dont compete usapl or ipf b/c i dont want to nor can afford to travel to Prague or some other place like that to compete.

Truth. I'm from the northeast, so I don't have a problem finding meets (and hosting them when there aren't enough already).

HP666
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Truth. I'm from the northeast, so I don't have a problem finding meets (and hosting them when there aren't enough already).

Where in the NE are you located??? I'm in Orange County, NY myself.

3whitelights
07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Where in the NE are you located??? I'm in Orange County, NY myself.

Born n raised in Newburgh NY. Good to see someone else from OC.

HP666
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Well **** man, where are you training???? I live in Harriman and train in Middletown at the moment.

3whitelights
07-25-2008, 07:16 AM
When I'm home (not at school or internships) I train in a gym in Newburgh, its behind big lots. Yes, it is such a hole in the wall that it's BEHIND Big Lots. Basically an iron basement, "Maximum Fitness". I came in the first day to see if they allowed chalk, deadlifting, etc, and the head manager was going for a 700lb raw squat when I asked who to talk to. It's like a garage gym, but with free tanning :)

It might be worth the drive to have a decent training partner though, next time I'm in the area I'll shoot you a PM.

HP666
07-25-2008, 06:35 PM
When I'm home (not at school or internships) I train in a gym in Newburgh, its behind big lots. Yes, it is such a hole in the wall that it's BEHIND Big Lots. Basically an iron basement, "Maximum Fitness". I came in the first day to see if they allowed chalk, deadlifting, etc, and the head manager was going for a 700lb raw squat when I asked who to talk to. It's like a garage gym, but with free tanning :)

It might be worth the drive to have a decent training partner though, next time I'm in the area I'll shoot you a PM.

**** ya dude!!! So where is this place exactly?? I'm not familiar with Big Lots??
My Uncle used to own the old "Duke's Bar" on Broadway. I have a bunch of friends who are City of Newburgh cops. Now THOSE boys have their hands full. Seriously though, I'm looking for a new place to train and new training partners. Please give me the info on the gym. Thanks man!!

chris mason
07-25-2008, 10:28 PM
The all-time records.

KingJustin
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Probably the all-time record, but only because most of the best lifters end up moving that way...

If you're the best single-ply lifter, you probably feel like you don't get enough respect, so you add the extra gear (which you maybe need more anyway to prevent injury) and start lifting more weight to be the most well known.

Note: this is coming from someone that really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

3whitelights
07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
The gym is on 59 N Plank Road, not really "city" so you don't have to worry about getting car-jacked at red lights. Just google "maximum fitness newburgh". You can pay by the session, week, month, or get a full membership (unlike places that want you to commit to a year). I should be home in a few weeks before school starts, I'll hit you up.

Chris Rodgers
07-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd say the bench record that was done in a full meet. We all know it's a lot different to take 9 attempts in ameet than it is to take 3, as well as the difference in training. Those who are breaking bench records in full meets are the true freaks IMO(Frankl obviously comes to mind).