PDA

View Full Version : Help with diet/supplement. (I already searched but need more info)

McLaughlin
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
:confused: <--- that's pretty much me. My head is spinning. Please read on:

Hi everyone, I know most times the fun thing to do is tell people to use the search function or go read on various sites...

But I've done that and found about as much as I could, but I feel like my situation is different from others, so please if you're willing to help, read on.

The common question I've seen are "what are your goals/training looking like"

You can see my current stats in my signature there, this Friday makes 4 weeks working out (super new to this, but loving it) Below I'll try to give you an accurate picture of my situation:

My goals are as such:
Bench - 200
Squat - 250
Dead - 300

I want to be the type of guy that people look at and say, "Wow, he's ripped" or "wow, he's huge" but not in a fat way... you know? Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to putting on weight to get big because I've read about doing cuts and things like that after the fact, but for now I just want to get big.

Here's a few specific questions: :scratch:
1. Should I be eating as much on off days as on workout days?
2. If I order the Opticen meal replacement stuff, could I have that throughout the day as a meal replacement? Or is it only beneficial PWO/before bed?
3. Is opticen necessarily the best option? OR should I look into something like Maximus or nitrean? Should I get all three?
4. What about multi-vitamin? (based on answers in other thread you probably will say yes, but I want to ask anyway)

Reason being, I work in an office 6:00 - 4:30 4 days a week, so getting extra meals in isn't always easy/realistic... also due to sitting a desk all day I'm not really doing much to burn off any of the food I'm eating.

I workout M/W/F and I work (sitting at desk) M/T/T/F (weds & wkends off)

What I'd like to do is this:
6 or 7am Breakfast (usually multi-grain bagel + peanut butter. sometimes eggs or oatmeal, occasionally a banana)

9-9:30 - Snack (could this be opticen or some other thing? a shake would be so much easier than finding decent food while at work... I usually end up with a muffin, extra bagel, apple, or granola... Im short on ideas)

11am - Lunch (usually pasta/veggies or a roastbeef or turkey sandwich on wheat bread.)

2pm - Snack (could this be another shake? or is that too much? usually I just have granola or crackers or an apple... my diet is crappy)

5:15 - Monday & Friday this is workout time until about 6:30

6:30 - This could be best time for post workout from what I've gathered.

7:30 - Dinner? (usually whatever mum cooks, but after workout I've been eating a can of tuna along with whatever is for dinner)

I've read the "what a body builder eats" thread, but it'd be easier to have it narrowed down, if someone was to tell me "go buy this and eat it each day" it will be better for me. Otherwise I spend too much time trying to balance everything and end up stressed and frustrated because I can't decide one thing over the other. That's why I think the opticen or something will help me. The stuff I eat on a regular basis tends to be healthy, but I need something to supplement it.

I'm not a picky eater by any means, except when it comes to cottage cheese, I won't touch it. And I have a decent amount of money to spend on supplements, so let me have it, what do you all think is best?

I really hope this big long post makes sense, if I should clarify anything let me know. Sorry if it rambled or was out of context for the forum I'm posting in... I'm really new at this whole thing, so please to bear with me as they say. :help:

Doobs
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
1. Your cals should be in the same range on workout and non-workout days. It can be easier to eat more on workout days since you'll be hungrier, but the most important thing is that your total weekly calories are where you want them. If you haven't gained a pound after 2 weeks, then increase your daily average cals by 300 until you start gaining.

2. Why do you want a MRP? If you decided that's what you need then it's fine to have that throughout the day, although I'd rather eat food. If the MRP is more convenient at work then that's fine.

3. What do you want it for? They all have different uses.

McLaughlin
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
1. Your cals should be in the same range on workout and non-workout days. It can be easier to eat more on workout days since you'll be hungrier, but the most important thing is that your total weekly calories are where you want them. If you haven't gained a pound after 2 weeks, then increase your daily average cals by 300 until you start gaining.

2. Why do you want a MRP? If you decided that's what you need then it's fine to have that throughout the day, although I'd rather eat food. If the MRP is more convenient at work then that's fine.

3. What do you want it for? They all have different uses.

Thanks for the quick reply :D

2. - I want one because I hear that they help... A LOT. Other than that convenience is high on my list, since it's hard to get/keep food at work. As long as I'll benefit from it it's worth the cost to me.

3. I want to build muscle/strength and if one of these products will help more than one other, I'd like to use it. So it's two parts I guess...

1) I want to have a 'good' meal replacer for while I'm at work, since I'm surely not getting enough of what I need.
2) I want to put on a lot of bulk, but I want it to be good bulk, so I figured these supps will help.

Jorge Sanchez
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't be too stressed out. You can go into crazy detail about your diet, but to be successful at this stage you really just have to stick to the basics. Just make sure you are getting enough: calories, protein and fat (in that order of importance). Carbs targetted around your workout will help too.

Liquid calories are great if you just can't get a solid meal, although they can be a bit pricey if you're buying weight gainer. You can always make your own shakes with some protein powder and a few other ingredients (there are tons of good recipes on this site) but if it's primarily a convenience thing, weight gainer might be your best bet.

You don't have to eat as much on non-workout days, but you can if you want. Like Doobs said, the important thing is that you are consuming more calories than you are burning overall.

A multi-vitamin won't hurt.

It's not as complex as you think. Just focus on the basics and everything will fall into place.

McLaughlin
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Don't be too stressed out. You can go into crazy detail about your diet, but to be successful at this stage you really just have to stick to the basics. Just make sure you are getting enough: calories, protein and fat (in that order of importance). Carbs targetted around your workout will help too.

Liquid calories are great if you just can't get a solid meal, although they can be a bit pricey if you're buying weight gainer. You can always make your own shakes with some protein powder and a few other ingredients (there are tons of good recipes on this site) but if it's primarily a convenience thing, weight gainer might be your best bet.

You don't have to eat as much on non-workout days, but you can if you want. Like Doobs said, the important thing is that you are consuming more calories than you are burning overall.

A multi-vitamin won't hurt.

It's not as complex as you think. Just focus on the basics and everything will fall into place.

Thanks man, that helped. I have a tendency to over-analyze things and it's showing pretty badly here. I'll just keep lifting and eating. Maybe order up some weight gainer (maximus on aln?) this Friday (payday). I really appreciate the input. It's hard doing this because I don't have anyone to work out with or any friends that are into this, so my only source of info is the internet.

Doobs
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
My question on #3 is a little more specific than that. In choosing between an MRP, a gainer, and a protein powder, it would be best if you can figure out what you need as far as P/F/C. The gainer has a lot of protein and carbs, the MRP has a medium amount of all three, and the protein is pretty much just protein. If you've figured out that you need an MRP I would just stick with that. If you find that you need more calories in those shakes you can buy some cheap dextrose or powdered oats to add to it.

McLaughlin
07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
My question on #3 is a little more specific than that. In choosing between an MRP, a gainer, and a protein powder, it would be best if you can figure out what you need as far as P/F/C. The gainer has a lot of protein and carbs, the MRP has a medium amount of all three, and the protein is pretty much just protein. If you've figured out that you need an MRP I would just stick with that. If you find that you need more calories in those shakes you can buy some cheap dextrose or powdered oats to add to it.

Ok cool, that makes more sense now :D

I'll start tracking my intake more closely and see where I'm lacking, although it feels like overall I should be eating more.. (based on what I read, and that I'm almost always hungry)

Thanks for the replies.

Gable
07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I would suggest getting an account at Fitday as well..

http://fitday.com/

Makes it easier to track everything you are consuming.

At Large has a "Mass Stack" also, you might look into that.

http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=9

I would get a multi too.. ALN has a good one..

Good luck.

McLaughlin
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I would suggest getting an account at Fitday as well..

http://fitday.com/

Makes it easier to track everything you are consuming.

At Large has a "Mass Stack" also, you might look into that.

http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=9

I would get a multi too.. ALN has a good one..

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the advice. I started a fitday account a few weeks ago but only went with it for a couple days... I eat so many different things that it got really frustrating trying to keep track of it all and knowing how to classify it on the site.

I've started logging things again though, so that should be good, I'll keep track for a week or two and try to figure out where I'm lacking.

Then I'll certainly look into that mass stack package from ALN as well as a good multi.