PDA

View Full Version : How far do you commute to train with the right people?

Tennessee Mike
07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Im at the point where I realize I need to be around bigger,stronger,more knowledgeable guys to advance further.Theres a ****load I still need to learn about PL,and I know some of you drive 2-4 hrs to get together.I train at a damn fitness center.And worse off,its where I work so Ive got clients up my ass at all times.Im constantly improvising **** becuse of lack of equipment.Plus,no chalk allowed.The nearest PL gym is an hour and a half away and I think I gotta start making the trip at least once a week.

Lones Green
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
3ish hours to cell block, usually every other week, sometimes every week. $80 in gas. if you want to lift with me and the small crew i have in knoxville you're always welcome. we train in a commercial gym, but its very PL friendly. theres nothin like cell block though.

Cricket_Fire
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Drove 5 hours to Westside on Monday; thats the farthest Ive gone to train
Go to Chatham which is a little over an hour away every once in a while.

Tennessee Mike
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
i appreciate that man.Have you ever been to the Iron Playground in Chattanooga?

Detard
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I havent travelled too far. I went up to bolton to train with Rusty which was about 45 min drive, i've gone to pickering which was bout 30 mins. I think I might need to start making the trip to The Anvil which is about 1.5 hours away.

RhodeHouse
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Before I moved to CT, I drove 1.5 hours to Southside every Friday after driving 2 hours to work Sunday-Thursday.

When I moved to CT, I drove 30 minutes to Southside and 1 hour to another gym to squat every week.

Now I drive 30 minutes to Southside on Friday and Sunday.

If you want it, you need to go find those that can help you.

john bernor
07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
for 4 years i drove to iron island to train with CT and the crew.I would head out there friday afternoon to bench(took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to get there) then come home friday night, go to sleep and wake up at 10 am on sat and head back out there to squat...And yes it was worth every stinking penny spent on gas..great training partners are worth driving for..

in HIS grip forever
john

Erik 23
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah I agree with Rhodehouse im not a well known lifter at all but i love to Bench Press i used to hate it but i started training with Nick Winters and he helped me get where im at now and beleive me it is a far drive to his gym a hour and a half for me but i figure this is one of the Strongest Men in the world i can learn a lot from a top level lifter such as Nick.So Beleive me if you have the time after school work whatever Find a good gym i dont care if its a hour or 2 hours away if there are Good powerlifters in that distance away from you it will be well worth your time the stuff you will learn wheter you bench raw shirted whatever, will be well worth the time even if you cant get out there every week once every other week is good enough as long as your learning something.

Gable
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I've been searching for folks in my area to train with. I train at home, and would dig finding some folks to train with, I am a total noob, and could use the help.

I think I'd drive a ways to train with the right group...

finding them seems to be the catch.

Lones Green
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
i appreciate that man.Have you ever been to the Iron Playground in Chattanooga?

the iron playground isn't there anymore. well, its there, it's Sam Byrd's old gym, but he sold it to some MMA fighters. there is still a gym called the power pit in chattanooga that the founder of the SPF, Jesse Rodgers owns...but why not go the extra hour to get help from guys that trained at Westside!

Lones Green
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been searching for folks in my area to train with. I train at home, and would dig finding some folks to train with, I am a total noob, and could use the help.

the easiest way is powerliftingwatch.com. if you can't find any there, make posts on forums, elitefts, you will find someone!

Gable
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks Lones -

I posted at Elite, and will post here as well..

PL Watch has forums too? I never noticed...

Thanks again man..

Lones Green
07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
well, i guess PLwatch has a forum. the "recent news" tab is pretty much a forum. what i was referring to is this:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

plug in your state and see what you get.

Rusty
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
An hour each way, usually once or twice a week.

vdizenzo
07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I have 0 commute to my basement for 3 of my training days plus cardio and conditioning. I have a 20 minute roundtrip to Southside on Friday's. However, I used to travel 7-8 hours roundtrip to Lake George on the weekends to train with Bill Crawford and Sebastian Burns. I did that for the better part of a year. If you want to be one of the best you need to train with the best.

C.Pop
07-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I have driven ~4 hours from ME to CT several times. Do whatever it takes, even if it's just every now and then.

My normal commute to the gym is approx 30 min.

Ryano
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I've driven 4 hours,one way, to train with Bill Carpenter and Rob Luyando. It was worth the trip. I drive 45min, one way, to train at the Lockup Gym every week. Even if I'm not lifting, I'll make the drive to help. You can't bench heavy without help. The more knowledgable your help, the better off you'll be.

Travis Bell
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I travel 2hrs round trip to Westside sometimes 3 times a week.

With gas the way it is though, I simply can't afford it on student's income so it'll be down to once a week, Wednsday mornings

Eric Downey
07-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I only travel 20 min but i know mike wolfe travels 90 min on sundays. Its about how bad you want it.

SGT ROCK
07-23-2008, 07:24 PM
For years I traveled about 50 minutes four days per week to go to Mathieus gym. Then it was only about 20 minutes to Ironside or 30 minutes to Austins gym. I agree with the consensus opinion, its how bad you want it. I would travel a long way to train with the right group.

Semper Fi

bigmoney
07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Last year I drove home from college (2.5 hours one way) just to train with the right group of guys about every other weekend. It was definitley worth it.

Gable, I'm the guy who you emailed about a gym on EFS web site. You NEED to make the drive to san antonio and train with Wes and his crew. They have everything you need to get strong. Give me a PM and I can give you his number or e-mail.

strongkid963
07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
i travel 5-8 minutes to get to frantz gym with all the super strong squatters.

thewicked
07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
i've driven 2 hours before..but i'd be willing to drive even farther if there was a club like westside around.

Gable
07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Last year I drove home from college (2.5 hours one way) just to train with the right group of guys about every other weekend. It was definitley worth it.

Gable, I'm the guy who you emailed about a gym on EFS web site. You NEED to make the drive to san antonio and train with Wes and his crew. They have everything you need to get strong. Give me a PM and I can give you his number or e-mail.

Awesome.. thanks man.. PM sent.. I connected with Wes last week.. cool dude... and he makes some choice gear..

thewicked
07-23-2008, 07:57 PM

i'm right here in dallas baby! why aren't we having a WBB workout day for the texans? LOL

Gable
07-23-2008, 08:00 PM
i'm right here in dallas baby! why aren't we having a WBB workout day for the texans? LOL

HAha.. Dallas ain't that close.. 5 hours from here maybe..?

And Texas is a HUGE ass state.. not liking driving across Rhode Island ..

I bet there are quite a few WBB'ers from Texas..

JayM181
07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Smokinhawk and I will be making our second road trip to train with Wolfy this Saturday. It's only a 50 minute drive.

RhodeHouse
07-23-2008, 08:51 PM

What are you doing to find them? Get to work.

Gable
07-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Bigmoney and a few others have pointed me to a few more places..

I found some others tonight as well, thanks to their leads.

THE BRUTE
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
i've commuted to atlanta once a week to NGBB to train bench which is a 3 hour drive and probably be making another one west to tuscaloosa to train my squat later this year in gear...that's an hour drive...
TB

bigmoney
07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Wicked- If you're ever down here let me know. Have you gave BAG in Dallas a look? Super strong dudes in there with top notch equipment.

mikesbench
07-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Any guys in southeast WI or northeast IL? I'm in Kenosha, WI ; about 1/2 way between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Ryano
07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Any guys in southeast WI or northeast IL? I'm in Kenosha, WI ; about 1/2 way between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Eric Stone has a team lifting at Velocity Sports in Willowbrook, IL. A suburb of Chicago. Eric can be contacted @ Chicagopowerlifting.com. For benching, you should contact Bill Carpenter in Dubuque, IA for help. Bill can be contacted @ UPA-Iowa.com

bige25
07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
For Mike in Kenosha, you could check out World's Gym in Racine and Brickyard Gym in Bayview (south of downtown Milwaukee) I train at both and they are very powerlifter friendly.

3whitelights
07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Im at the point where I realize I need to be around bigger,stronger,more knowledgeable guys to advance further.Theres a ****load I still need to learn about PL,and I know some of you drive 2-4 hrs to get together.I train at a damn fitness center.And worse off,its where I work so Ive got clients up my ass at all times.Im constantly improvising **** becuse of lack of equipment.Plus,no chalk allowed.The nearest PL gym is an hour and a half away and I think I gotta start making the trip at least once a week.

I travel 1:45 (one way) to train events once a week. Currently it's the closest group of guys that train events, and even if there was something closer I'd still travel. You can't substitute anything for a good training environment.

johnnyo_99
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I just moved to north dallas area, Frisco. Have got a rack setup, texas power bar, chains and bands etc.. all in my garage. I'd like to get a powerlifting group together to train with, if anyone is close let me know.

bigmoney
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
johhnyo_99.... you're in luck: www.badattitudegym.com

drew
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I drive about an hour to Southside every week. From work it's about 2 hours in the car to get there, and then an hour to get home. It's absolutely worth it to train with the best.

bigred90
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM

ive been looking for SA lifters for awhile, mind giving me info on "wes and his crew." I cant PM yet due to low post count(lol i know) but any info would help, thanks a lot bro.

Beast Genetics
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I got lucky I drive 20 mins. to train with Jesse Kellum, Eric Downey, A.J. Schroeder, ETC.........(rest of team), But I would drive alot further if I had to, Priceless training.

texron
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM

I'm in Denton..there's a guy posting from Plano..time to get together and lift!!!!

LocAss24
07-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm in Denton..there's a guy posting from Plano..time to get together and lift!!!!

I'm in Plano, but I'm a noob.

texron
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm in Plano, but I'm a noob.

it's worse for me..I'm an OLD noob

LocAss24
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
To stay on topic, at this time the most I'm willing and able to drive to workout is about 20-30 minutes from my place. This is due to school project that I'm working on right now.

"Texron", I'm an old noob too. I'm hitting 30 soon.

texron
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
To stay on topic, at this time the most I'm willing and able to drive to workout is about 20-30 minutes from my place. This is due to school project that I'm working on right now.

I'll be 48 in a couple weeks
to answer the OP question...I'd drive an hour or so once or twice a week.

johnnyo_99
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Texron and Loccass24: I'm new to the sport but I have been trained by an elite lifter before I moved to frisco. If you guys are interested i've got a garage with all the essentials for PL training. I do a 4 day a week program, working on primary lifts on sat and sunday, chains/bands. if either of you are interested we should meet up. pm if so

I workout from my garage to make sure I spend enough time with the wife, but i'm strict on my training and eat/breath powerlifting

LocAss24
07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Texron and Loccass24: I'm new to the sport but I have been trained by an elite lifter before I moved to frisco. If you guys are interested i've got a garage with all the essentials for PL training. I do a 4 day a week program, working on primary lifts on sat and sunday, chains/bands. if either of you are interested we should meet up. pm if so

I workout from my garage to make sure I spend enough time with the wife, but i'm strict on my training and eat/breath powerlifting

Hi, I couldn't send you a PM because my post count is less than 15 so I left you a visitor message instead.

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Theres a huge demand for powerlifting here.Im thinking a small garage club to start with maybe 10-15 guys could turn into something Huge.Id gladly sell the Landscape Biz to own a PL gym

Lones Green
07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Theres a huge demand for powerlifting here.Im thinking a small garage club to start with maybe 10-15 guys could turn into something Huge.Id gladly sell the Landscape Biz to own a PL gym

do it!

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
You in?I figure rent on a garage would be cheap with 10 guys.

texron
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

The commute from Texas to TN might be a little stretch for me, the idea of a bunch of like minded guys getting together in a small place sounds awesome.

johnnyo_99
07-25-2008, 06:04 PM
The commute from Texas to TN might be a little stretch for me, the idea of a bunch of like minded guys getting together in a small place sounds awesome.

I'm game for that, i sent you a message back.