PDA

View Full Version : Putting things on hold!!!

bigbadwolfe
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

Well after alot of talk and deliberation I have decided to step away from competing for at least 1 yr or more to focus 110% on getting healthy. I have had a few minor health concerns that really need to be addressed before they become MAJOR health concerns.

I have said it over and over on how I'm gonna lose weight and get in shape. But every time I start to get below the 325 mark my bench really starts to drop off. And it has been and emotional rollercoaster for me not wanting to let it go. So I'll get down start to see muscle and strength lose and then I'll freak and put it all right back on.

By doing this over and over the last year or so it has played hell on my BP up down up down and it has lead to some other minor probs. I'm on meds to regulate my BP and also taking a water pill. Plus I'm monitoring my diet very closely.

Sooo with all this I have decided to walk away from competing for a bit and focus 110% on getting healthy. I have a wife and 2 kids and being this big and worth the risk no more. My wife's dad just had a massive Heart Attack at 53 yrs old and had to have Quadruple Bypass surgery. That really makes you think alot.

I will still be training and going to Westside just not competing or training to compete. My new training style will be more Bodybuilding oriented and focused on getting Fit and in Shape. My training philosophy has always been "BIGGER and STRONGER" well now it has been switched to "LEANER and FITTER"!!!

My goals for the next yr is to totally focus on getting my BW down , getting off my BP meds and just making life better in general. There is so much I want to be able to do that being this big wont allow me to do. I still wanna ride them coasters with my kids. That was one of my main goals for this summer. Well guess what? Aint gonna happen this year!!! But dammit it will next summer. I also wanna go to a place here in Ohio called "Hocking Hills" they have what is called a Tree Top Canopy tour. It is like a giant tree house system where you are 70-80 feet in the air sliding around on zip lines and crossing rope bridges and stuff. That would be a blast but the weight limit is 250 pounds.

So that is my goal to get under 250 pounds. I will still be using AtLarge Products and Chris and myself have devised a plan to get me where I wanna be while retaining as much muscle as possible. I dont wanna be a bodybuilder but I wanna be in shape.

Here is a pic of me and my good frined Dean Bennett it was taken on the 4th of July weekend this year. We are exactly 100 pounds apart in the pic. After that weekend I got home and had gained 11 pounds and was 351. I am currently back down to mid 330's as of today. so we are at 80 pounds and counting down!!!!

Thanks for all your support and keep and eye on my training log for updated pics and how my training is going. I'm not going anywhere but my fat belly is :)

Wolfy!!!!!

Me and Deano ~

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/bigbadwolfe800/l_e957881dc2400cae5cd1c9ac2f4248e2.jpg

Me doing my first Professional Photo Shoot ~

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/bigbadwolfe800/bbw2.jpg

Me Shirtless about 4 weeks ago ~

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/bigbadwolfe800/wolfy-1.jpg

View 1
07-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Good luck mike, I know it will be hard not to compete, but your health and family is number one, and you made the right choice. Ill be watching to see how things go, look forward to see how your new training will look as well. Again good luck.

Chris Rodgers
07-24-2008, 06:50 PM
You are doing the smart thing Mike. Your health and family are the most important things. The gym will always be there, but those other things may not. You have shown a ton of dedication to get where you are now, so there is no reason that you won't be able to reach your new goals. Just don't let all the guys get to you when they start calling you skinny or little guy. :evillaugh:

Good luck big fella!

HP666
07-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I gotta tell you Mike, you should be proud of yourself. Obviously this is something you thought about long and hard and I have to say you're doing the right thing. You need to think of your health and your family. Your kids will love you whether you bench 800lbs or 100lbs, and that's what's important. I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall but as a fellow chubby guy, and almost 39 year old father of a 5 month old daughter, I know where you're coming from. You made this decision and I'm sure you'll stick to it. I have more respect for you for doing that than anything you could do on the platform.

azma
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Good luck, Mike!

RedSpikeyThing
07-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a Dave Tate project in the making. Good luck!!

Beast Genetics
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Nothing but respect for your goals man, good luck!!

Erik 23
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Other than the High Blood Pressure mike you look masive like i could not tell by looking at you that you have any type of health problems i mean when i seen you in person at your meet you looked like you were in good shape. your gonna get down to, 250 man you will look like a whole different person but you know what your doing the right thing being big and strong is great but being alive for your wife and children are way more important you have a blessing from god right there in your face your wife and kids and i am glad that you looked at them and thought you know what im gonna get in better shape so i can be around for them. Mike i wish you the best of luck with your new found goals and you know what i dont see why you cant keep strength up cause i know you train with George Halbert and he is extremely strong for 198 maybe he can help you out a lot cause hes a smaller guy but hes still strong but he came from being 275 lbs i think i read that somewhere. down to 198 and is still as strong as ever.So good luck on your Journey mike with the mass you carrey i would think you would be bodybuilding condition at 275 280 i would think 250 might be a little to small for a man of your stature just because of the Muscularity that you carry.

Eric Downey
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Goodluck Mike. Thinking about getting back to that 225 i once herd you speak about. But just think at 250 you dont have to walk away when pro bodybuilder fanny packs open up and stuff falls out and your the only only one that saw it. Yeah I remember that story.

JayM181
07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll meet you at 250 Mike... Just kidding. Good Luck Mike.

chris taylor
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Mike,
Let me just tell you I have been there and been in the ER having a heart attack on fathers day and my son was only 6 months old at the time. You have to forget about this idea that you need to be big to be strong. I can bench more now then I ever did when I had a huge gut and less of a bench stroke. The extra girth dont help, infact I think I recover much faster and easier since my CNS doesnt have to be over worked by carrying around so much extra mass. Keep your head up and keep working hard and you will get there. God Bless you.

CT

SGT ROCK
07-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Mike it sounds like you are making the right choice for right now. I respect and admire your decision brother. Some things are more important than lifting, to most of us that list is rather short, but certainly family has to be.

Semper Fi

bencher8
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Good luck Mike! Get healthy man....you know when the hard part comes..just be mentally prepared to face it. Youll get it done I am sure...

Lones Green
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
i'm excited to keep tabs on your diet and training mike. good luck! you'll be a monster at a lighter weight class.

chris mason
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Chris T., I was just thinking of you as I read through this thread.

Mike, Chris did it and I know you can too. We will have you in the 250-270 lbs range and stronger than you are now. As you know, I am 100% behind you on this.

Chris

Justin Ryan
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Good luck mike! Can't wait to see where this takes you and what the results are. Sounds like you've made a smart choice

Bob
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Good luck Mike.. I'm sure it's a hard decision reading about all you big benchers and the desire to be the strongest on the planet.
Take care, get healthy... and we'll see you on the platform in a year setting PRs at 242!!

You love those KBs when you bench... Marc Bartley's an RKC and has some awesome KB workouts (and sleds every day) that have him trimmed up.. and still a strong SOB...

Ben Moore
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Mike - I respect you more for making that decision. Get your health in line and the other things can come later. Plus I'm sure Chris will have a great plan to help retain as much as possible.

bjohnso
07-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Good luck, Mike. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, so hopefully this weight loss will add to your longevity.

Where is hocking hills at? I have heard the name, but I don't know anything about it. That tree house deal sounds like fun.

Travis Bell
07-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Go to it big guy! Guess what, you'll still be big and strong at 250!! LOL

the diet will get hard in a couple weeks but if you push through it and make the right habits, you'll get used to it and drop the weigh you want to. Remember, you've done this before bud, you know you can do it again

THE BRUTE
07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
much respect for your decision mike. good luck.
TB

mikesbench
07-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Best of luck to you Mike. I know it must be hard to have to switch your priorities around, but I really respect your willingness to do that.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I wish you the best with your weight loss & health. Hopefully, more lifters will do the same thing too. Getting bigger isn't always the answer, but being healthier is more important!

I know you will have a great testimony in 2009:thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

RhodeHouse
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
No chance he gets into Rhodestown! Good luck, Mike.

Joe Black
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Mike, you get a whole load of respect from me for making that decision.

I am sooooo looking forward to how you document the next 12 months and I'll be rallying for you.

Good luck!

chris mason
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
No chance he gets into Rhodestown! Good luck, Mike.

Lol, no love for Mike in Rhodestown...

Silverhawk
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Wolfy,

It's great to see how supportive everybody here is toward your new direction. It's one thing to offer support, but you know from our conversations that I am right there with you, experiencing every step of the journey - the big and small successes and the inevitable challenges. I'll be there with you on that first coaster ride, and you know I'll be there with you zipping around the treetops at Hocking Hills. Somehow, I'll put my fear of heights behind me because I know that we will have arrived at our destination!

We'll do this together little brother!

NickW
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Hate to say I am taking a page from Wolfy, but I am going to be taking some time off to get a little slimmer while I am recovering from my shoulder injury. His meet will be the only competition I do the rest of the year (most likely, lol).

vdizenzo
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Best of luck Mike. I was basically as strong at 275 as I was at 328.5. Don't let it get in your head. My advice would be to decrease some of the volume in your ME bench workouts, but keep the weight heavy. Watch what you eat--you've done that before and up the conditioning/gpp. You will be fine. At 250 you'll probably be ready to step on stage at the Olympia. Best of luck.

bigbadwolfe
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Wolfy,

It's great to see how supportive everybody here is toward your new direction. It's one thing to offer support, but you know from our conversations that I am right there with you, experiencing every step of the journey - the big and small successes and the inevitable challenges. I'll be there with you on that first coaster ride, and you know I'll be there with you zipping around the treetops at Hocking Hills. Somehow, I'll put my fear of heights behind me because I know that we will have arrived at our destination!

We'll do this together little brother!

Yes Deano we are in this together!!! You will be down here 1 yr from this weekend and that is when we will be where we want to be!!! We will be on the coasters and the zip lines :)

bigbadwolfe
07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the support!!! I will still be here everyday as I stated and will be logging everything I do. Thanks again and stayed tuned :)

bigbadwolfe
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Best of luck Mike. I was basically as strong at 275 as I was at 328.5. Don't let it get in your head. My advice would be to decrease some of the volume in your ME bench workouts, but keep the weight heavy. Watch what you eat--you've done that before and up the conditioning/gpp. You will be fine. At 250 you'll probably be ready to step on stage at the Olympia. Best of luck.

Vin,

There will be no heavy benching what so ever. Thats where I keep screwing up and getting mental about all this. If I stay off the bench and focus 110% on getting rid of this I know I can do it. Then I'll rev it all bac kup on the bench at a much lighter weight.

I actually even contemplated leaving westside for a bit cause of the mental aspect of going in there and wanting to bench. I'll be doing sled work and GPP work down there plus looking at alot of core work there also.

bigbadwolfe
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Mike, you get a whole load of respect from me for making that decision.

I am sooooo looking forward to how you document the next 12 months and I'll be rallying for you.

Good luck!

Daniel,

I totally appreciate the fact that you and Chris are behind me on this. When I'm done we'll have to replace the pics of the lean Bodybuilders on the ALN homepage with me :)

Thanks a million times over!!!

Joe Black
07-26-2008, 03:37 AM
heh, you got it! :)