PDA

View Full Version : Lightheadedness when standing

wesmantooth
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but this made the most sense since I think it may be caused by my diet and/or nutrition.

So, I've been working out (again) for the past 3 months very religiously. For the first time I have changed a few things about my workouts. Firstly, I take a multivitamin. I also take flax oil and fish oil every morning. Before my workouts I take SuperPump 250 and after my workout I take some Muscle Milk. I have been doing this for the past month. Recently, though, I have noticed that I get very light headed when standing up. It's not on occasion, it's pretty much any time I stand up. I am 38 and have been healthy all my life. Great cholesterol, great blood pressure. Is this something that may be caused by my new routine or perhaps something more serious. Now, I realize that this can really only be diagnosed by a doctor, but I am wondering if someone has had the same symptoms while taking any of these products. Seems like my BP may have dropped. Just wondering if something I am taking could cause this.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I apologize if this was not the area I should have posted this in. I just discovered the site and figured I would post this question since I have been wondering.

Anyway, thanks again.

ArjunDhir
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
As far as I know lack of iron in your diet.

azma
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
This happens to me a lot when I diet, because I have low blood pressure. You could try increasing your iron intake, but it was not iron deficiency anemia in my case, so I wouldn't worry about that too much if I were you. If you're like me, it's just an effect of low blood pressure because you're dieting and exercising.

What exactly does your diet consist of?

Mark!
07-25-2008, 05:11 AM
I used to have the same problem. My doctor said it was because of my low blood pressure and low heart rate. He didn't change anything he just advised that I need to be careful when standing up and do it more slowly after sitting for a while. That seemed to work just fine. My resting heart rate is around 55. It used to be around 80 until I lost over 100 pounds of weight and it dropped. The only way I can get it up above 140 is to sprint. My doctor has done numerous blood tests and nothing comes back. I'd definitely check in with your doc and just make sure something isn't wrong on the inside, can never hurt. Hey, at least you get to see your blood work, it's always interesting to me to get my blood work sent to my email so I can look into it. I don't think any of the supplements are doing anything, super pump may raise your bp a little and fish oil and flax seed should lower it. If you don't want to go see the doc try stopping the flax and fish oil and see how that goes. Are you monitoring your bp regularly or just at a certain time of day? During the night it may be fine but after taking fish oil and flax seed it may be a different story. I don't know much about things like this so all I have to go on is what I've been through in the past and what my doctor told me. I cut back on flax seed too, so they may have helped combat my light headedness. Hope all ends well, keep us updated on what you find.

wesmantooth
07-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My diet is pretty standard I think. Breakfast I have oatmeal, cereal or 3 scrambled eggs. 2hrs later i have some fruit or a yogurt. Lunch I have left overs of whatever I made the night before, then I have two snacks before dinner, again yogurt usually mixed with blueberries. I also have my Muscle Milk then because I usually work out mid afternoonish. Dinner I have chicken, turkey, or very rarely lean beef. Vegetables and rice or potato. I then have a little something before bed. Fruit or raw veggies.

This is just an example and I do fluctuate from day to day. But I printed off a spreadsheet with this sort of diet to stick with every day. I do cheat though.

Perhaps I should start eating banana's as my fruit a little more often. I know they are rich in iron. I always have them here, just seems I don't eat them daily.

Thanks for the input, I will definitely be sticking around this forum for more info. Great site....

Mark!
07-26-2008, 02:15 AM
I usually try to throw a banana in to my protein shakes before my shift at work or while working. That and some peanut butter go a long way with me.

Tennessee Mike
07-26-2008, 05:07 AM
Try upping your carbs.

mongoose06
07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
It sounds like the SuperPump 250 may be to blame. NO -> vasodilation -> drop in blood pressure -> lightheadedness. If this is the case, your lightheadedness will resolve itself if you stopped taking it for a while. It's probably not a big deal; just be careful standing up.

If your iron were low enough to cause significant anemia, you'd probably be able to notice a faster resting heartbeat or a yellowish tinge on lower part of your eyes.

wesmantooth
07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I stopped taking everything for the past week..felt fine. Took just the SuperPump and it started again. Not to the extent it was when I was taking it daily, but good call mongoose. I am not going to eliminate it, just going to sit on soft furniture for a while--just in case I fall. Thanks again.