PDA

View Full Version : What diet do I need?

chrissw22
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I just started weight training for purely strength and growth. The fact of the matter is I have about 25-30% body fat. Needless to say I am overweight. I have just recently dropped 40 lbs. when I changed my dietary lifestyle (note: I didn't say go on a diet etc.. cause this is a new way of life for me after my wife's grand-father died of a heart attack).

My question is I have a lot of fat on me already.... do I need to up my calories to add bulk or will my body convert my current fat reserves into the materials it needs?

My current diet consists of:

1250 Cal

155 Carbs (2/3 from whole grains, this is including fiber; rest from low GI fruits and veg)

21g Fats (mostly from nuts and seeds with lean pork, chicken breast, or fish in there)

109g Protein (from the meats and nuts along with some 100% whey protein isolate)

SO, what should I do? I want to lose some fat but I don't care about being cut at all.

Spartan936
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
You aren't eating enough. If you consume so few calories, your body will lose weight too fast; and much of it will be muscle mass. I suggest eating much more for awhile, and then tracking your calories so that you lose only a couple pounds per week at the very most. You can certainly afford to eat more protein and fat.

It sounds like you've almost got it. Eat healthy, count calories, exercise right.

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
You are not overweight!You are a work in progress.If your lifting hard and doing some cardio work (30 minutes at least 3-4 times a week) you will be fine.Dont be afraid to eat.The bodyfat could be a little lower,but most powerlifters are around 20-30%.What is your height/weight?Your calories are way too low.Its good to see someone who wants "Strength and size" on here.If you need any help bro,you can PM me and I'll do what I can to help.

chrissw22
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I am 5'10" and weigh 251 right now. I do cardio 6 times a week with a rest day on Sunday, but I am thinking of reducing it. Like you said don't be afraid of gaining weight. That is exactly what I am afraid of, especially since I just lost 40lbs. I really don't want to gain it back in fat.

Hey thanks for the support man. Yeah, my main goal is to compete in strongman, but right now I am just trying to get to the point where I can start training for it. My back is extremely weak and so is my abs so I have been staying away from dead lifts and stuff like that for now.

I guess my goal is to maintain this weight but convert all that fat to muscle..... if possible??

What supplements should I do?

Right now I am doing pre/post 100% whey protein Isolate and taking multi-vit and flaxseed oil every morning.

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Fat does not convert into muscle.They are seperate entities.For strongman,I would keep your cardio up,but also up your calories.At 251 you need to be around 4,000 at least.Clean the diet up a bit and youll be fine.Get more intense with workouts/cardio.

c3p
07-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I would suggest looking into Precision Nutrition (http://precisionnutrition.com/). If your looking to build size and strength while improving overall health-- this is the thing for you.