PDA

View Full Version : power cleans

Cards
07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Today I did power cleans for the first time after debating about adding them to my routine. I started light to get form and such, watched some videos and read some articles on Olympic lifts. My only question is about the squat/catching part. Should I practice the full atf front squat even if the weight is light enough not to? I squat atf normally so it wouldn’t be anything new I’m just curious what others think.

Jorge Sanchez
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Some recommend dropping even when the weight is light. Other's don't.

JSully
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I started doing these last week and I would say- yes, drop even with light weight..

because it's BITCH to try to learn to drop and catch the bar with heavy weight..

lol

Cards
07-25-2008, 05:21 PM
lol sounds good. thanks guys.

edit: oh yeah one more thing. anyone find that their deadlift form improves from proper power cleans?

JSully
07-25-2008, 05:28 PM
on the contrary.. I think my power clean improves from proper deadlifting. :)

Cards
07-25-2008, 05:41 PM
ha that makes sense since you will probably deadlift more then you powerclean. :rolleyes:

Jorge Sanchez
07-25-2008, 05:46 PM
I think power cleans can have a nice carryover for deadlifting, in the same sort of way speed work does.

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
I find it much easier to use heavier weight than lighter.

Cards
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
why is this?

Tennessee Mike
07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Its one of those exercises that the more resistance the better form.Hard to explain.Unlike squats where the more weight,the worse I get.

Cards
07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
That would make sense. the whole process uses a weight that you could probably normally squat and deadlift, it's the technique and form that really matter. I started light with 135, it flew up pretty easy but it was more for form. Next time ill up the weight and see how it feels.

youngguns
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
yeah, heavier weight is easier to work on your form with (to me). i still have clean and jerk form problems and i still tend to muscle the weight up, instead of useing the proper form.

Tom Mutaffis
07-27-2008, 07:18 AM
One tip that I found very helpful is to do these with straps on and a false grip, this will allow you to rotate your wrists more quickly for the "catch" and you can pull much more explosively since grip is not a factor. (if you are not doing them to compete in OLY lifting of course).

Even light power cleans and high pulls can yeild some results. I personally rotate between doing them heavy for explosiveness/speed and doing them light for conditioning.

Fuzzy
07-27-2008, 07:52 AM
No. Always catch in a high position or atleast try to.

Doing a full clean if you are not an oly lifter using good tech and decent weight is a sure fire way of learning to cut the pull short and hurt your knees.

youngguns
07-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Doing a full clean if you are not an oly lifter using good tech and decent weight is a sure fire way of learning to cut the pull short and hurt your knees.

could you expand on this at all? i believe you, im just curios what part is bad for the knee.

Cards
07-27-2008, 01:49 PM

So you're saying don't perform the full atg front squat on the pull?

Fuzzy
07-27-2008, 04:00 PM
So you're saying don't perform the full atg front squat on the pull?

could you expand on this at all? i believe you, im just curios what part is bad for the knee.

During the clean motion, a good lifer will exten right up onto his toes, and often leave the ground completely, his hips will have extended through to the point were there is an audible THUNK as the bar makes contacts with the legs and his traps should be srhugged up to his ears.

Now, where the athlete has to drop to recieve the weight makes no difference, the top of the pull should always look the same for any type of clean.

It takes alot of time and coachign to learn how to macimise the pull of a ****ing heavy weight and to get under it in a full squat.

Also, in botht he poweclean and the full clean the weight SHOULD hit the shoulders as the lifter is in a quarter/halfsquat position, however the weight may or not push them down to the full squat.

Get an average guy with no coach to try and do this, and he forgets about the pull as he is too busy focusing on rocketing under the bar. THis kind of impact is why Olympic lifters have knee injuries AND you get little benefit from the clean.

At this point all you need to do is focus on pull with your traps as hard as you can.

youngguns
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
thanks fuzzy.

KingJustin
07-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Also, I don't think the first pull on the power clean is all that similar to deadlifting (even conventional). I usually focus so much on throwing my hips through really early on deadlift, and on cleans I focus on shooting my knees back early.

3whitelights
07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Fuzzy probably has more Oly experience than me, and I agree with his assessment, but if you still want to get comfortable catching the bar then I think one way to learn it is to try to pull the bar as high as possible and catch as high as possible, but let the weight force you down after you catch. As the weight gets heavier you'll have to catch lower.

It helps to have a coach to watch you at all times.

KingJustin
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I think the coach thing is a lot more important than people on the internet think...

I have been doing the oly lifts for awhile and I've even had some help from people that have a pretty decent idea what to do on them.

I got to Emory and joined the weightlifting team last week and started working with a couple nationally competitive lifters, and it became very clear very fast that I couldn't do a proper clean with even the bar because my form is simply incorrect. My deadlift, bench and squat form all suck, but I at least always know exactly what I do wrong each set. But for oly lifts, even after watching a number of videos and getting some decent coaching, I didn't really know what I was doing. And I think you also really need to spend several months learning them to really know what you're doing. I think it's good advice to get a real coach and learning the lifts.

RedSpikeyThing
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Also, in botht he poweclean and the full clean the weight SHOULD hit the shoulders as the lifter is in a quarter/halfsquat position, however the weight may or not push them down to the full squat.

never thought of it that way, thanks. So if you can catch the weight high, you should?

Cards
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks fuzzy, was hoping you'd stop by sooner or later.Id love to have a coach or even someone who has done them for a while show me but i'm not that lucky so it's a learn as you go process.