PDA

View Full Version : Not dropping the weight on deads

TJM
07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Usually when I train deadlift I lift the weight as fast as possible then let gravity take it back to the floor (but I still keep my hands on it). So it's quick up, and quick down. I recently joined a queer comercial gym that does not allow "dropping of the weights". I guess the noise scares the treadmillers or something. So in stead now I have to let the weight down slowly so it makes little to no noise. I did this today and noticed after my session my lower back was sore. My lower back usually never gets sore so this must be from the slow lowering of the weight.
Is this a good way to train? or is lowering the weight this way bad?

Ben Moore
07-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, lowering the weight that way is not the best for your back. I would find a new gym.

Lones Green
07-26-2008, 03:33 PM
i usually don't SLAM the weight. it really isn't necessary unless you lose your grip. most powerlifting federations require that you "follow" the bar to the floor. this dosen't necessarily mean do a negative type rep, but try to slow it down a bit. there should be a good medium for you to figure out.

SGT ROCK
07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Eccentrics on the DL can def make you sore. I would push the envelope and start dropping it faster, but don't drop it. As a token of good faith towards the gym, buy a thin mat and pull off it, 1/4 to 1/2 inch and place a piece under the weights on each side, wear converse chucks to balance the height and you have the equivilent of a regular dl. That will save the floor and even muffle the sound a bit.

Semper Fi

Ben Moore
07-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Eccentrics on the DL can def make you sore. I would push the envelope and start dropping it faster, but don't drop it. As a token of good faith towards the gym, but a thin mat and pull off it, 1/4 to 1/2 inch and place a piece under the weights on each side, wear converse chucks to balance the height and you have the equivilent of a regular dl. That will save the floor and even muffle the sound a bit.

Semper Fi

Good idea - alot of places have the mats for aerobics you could use.

Kastro
07-26-2008, 05:45 PM
It's well known that the eccentric phase is what primarily elicits DOMS, and since you're now being forced to include an eccentric portion that a lift that would otherwise be completely concentric, it's no surprise that you're sore.

I'd just find a better gym.

mike42506
07-26-2008, 10:42 PM
yeah same with my gym, its pretty lane, but usually make a good amount of noise on deadlifts just not completely slamming it, and the people who work there are pretty cool and don't care if i do that.