PDA

View Full Version : Should i worry about too much cholesterol at 23?

MidnightToker
07-27-2008, 06:19 AM
I've been eating lot's and lot's of food in hopes of reaching my daily 4000 cal requirement to gain weight. In the process, i've also been eating about 200% of my daily value of cholesterol and sodium. Am i putting myself at risk for a heart attack or something?

vdizenzo
07-27-2008, 08:07 AM
It couldn't hurt to ask your doc to get blood work done.

c3p
07-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Keep in mind that the percentages on the back of food labels are, correct me if I am wrong, for a average man that does not workout. I think the definition of "average" in this case is 180 pounds, 5'8, and 2000 calories daily. With this said, you could do a ratio to figure how much you really need.

Just plug your weight in and solve for x by cross multiplying.

180 lbs____plug in your weight here
------------ = ----------------------------------
300mg___________ x mg

I found the 300mg look on the back of a cheese whiz container finding that it had 15mg and the label said that was 5% of the daily amount. I just set up a ratio to solve that as well. I had to fix the spacing with underscores.

This should help give you a rough estimate on how much you would need if you were not training. I don't really think it you will need more than a person who does not train, unless you plan on bleeding a lot. :)

I would also go to your general practitioner, just to be safe.

ryuage
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
dietary cholesterol does not equate to high blood cholesterol... only way to know for sure is by getting your blood values checked.

MidnightToker
07-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Alright, i guess i'll just have to go to the doctor when i get a chance. Thanks for the replies.

FireRescue
07-28-2008, 06:20 AM
dietary cholesterol does not equate to high blood cholesterol... only way to know for sure is by getting your blood values checked.

Exactly.

ShockBoxer
07-31-2008, 07:43 AM
I just learned my numbers, though I don't know what they mean.

LDL 4
HDL less than 1
TC: 5.69 or something like that

I was told to cut my saturated fats (I already eat less than 12 grams a day), increase my exercise (I already walk 30 minutes a day, even on gym days), and cut my dietary cholesterol (already less than 200 a day).

Little disheartening... to the point where I haven't gone to the gym since (yeah, that'll help). I'm in this for my health and then this kind of thing happens?

I'm almost 33, which is a few hundred years older than 23 it would seem, but if you're at all concerned about it, check early, check often.

Focused70
07-31-2008, 08:37 AM

LDL 4
HDL less than 1

I was told to cut my saturated fats (I already eat less than 12 grams a day), increase my exercise (I already walk 30 minutes a day, even on gym days), and cut my dietary cholesterol (already less than 200 a day).

Little disheartening... to the point where I haven't gone to the gym since (yeah, that'll help). I'm in this for my health and then this kind of thing happens?

I'm almost 33, which is a few hundred years older than 23 it would seem, but if you're at all concerned about it, check early, check often.

LDL is "bad cholesterol" or low-density lipoprotein
HDL is "good cholesterol" or (you guessed it) high-density lipoprotein
TC stands for triglyceride count

More information here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=183

Genetics plays a part as well as good dietary habits.

FireRescue
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
What does the rest of your diet look like? Do you eat a lot of carbs, particularly in the form of sugars?

JSully
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I had my cholesterol checked the other day. Everything was fantastic except my HDL was 2points low.. and she told me I need to eat less saturated fat and get on a workout regimen...

:confused: I THOUGHT I looked like someone who already works out.. *sigh*

markdk86
07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I had my cholesterol checked the other day. Everything was fantastic except my HDL was 2points low.. and she told me I need to eat less saturated fat and get on a workout regimen...

:confused: I THOUGHT I looked like someone who already works out.. *sigh*

You puny biotch. Hit the gym. Doctors orders.

ShockBoxer
08-01-2008, 06:52 AM
What does the rest of your diet look like? Do you eat a lot of carbs, particularly in the form of sugars?

Usually is a lot of carbs, from white potatoes primarily, though I try and keep heavy processed sugar items (chocolate, malts, ice cream, cake) down to two or three items a week. That said, I can only stomach white bread due to digestive problems so I eat two or four slices a day, and I eat a fair bit of fruit and drink milk (down to one glass of 1% a day after the diagnosis). Plus a fair bit of soy milk.

Reko
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

LDL 4
HDL less than 1

Are these just ratios or the actual numbers? When I got my last breakdown it was something like
LDL 150-160
HDL 50-60
TC ~220

Focused70
08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Are these just ratios or the actual numbers? When I got my last breakdown it was something like
LDL 150-160
HDL 50-60
TC ~220

I suspect the unit of measurement is way off.

Usually cholesterol count is in milligrams/deciliter (mg/dl).

FireRescue
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Usually is a lot of carbs, from white potatoes primarily, though I try and keep heavy processed sugar items (chocolate, malts, ice cream, cake) down to two or three items a week. That said, I can only stomach white bread due to digestive problems so I eat two or four slices a day, and I eat a fair bit of fruit and drink milk (down to one glass of 1% a day after the diagnosis). Plus a fair bit of soy milk.

The reason I ask is from what I have been reading is sugary carbs have am impact on cholesterol. It may be carbs in general. Many people seem to improve their cholesterol by switching to a keto diet.

dasher
08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
i thought same, my parents always said to check and i did and it was fine..but ill still check