PDA

View Full Version : Breathing during your lifts..

Tennessee Mike
07-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Okay,so as I am still fairly new to powerlifting ,I was wondering what the standard was for breathing during the Bench,Squat,Deadlift.As for bench,I normally fill myself up with air and hold it til I'm halfway up with the weight.But I see that holding it until you rack the weight is common.I just want to know how to get max output on the "big 3"

Notorious
07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Hold your breath for the entire rep on all 3 lifts.

Lones Green
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
on squats, i don't breathe until i rack the weight

on bench, i don't breathe until i rack the weight

on deadlifts, i don't breathe until its a good lift :)

RhodeHouse
07-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Yup!

Ben Moore
07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
What lones said.

RedSpikeyThing
07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
on squats, i don't breathe until i rack the weight

on bench, i don't breathe until i rack the weight

on deadlifts, i don't breathe until its a good lift :)

how do you make through a heavy squat or deadlift without grunting?

Ben Moore
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Easy, when you grunt you lose tightness and miss the lift - Lones says: "Don't do grunts!"

Kastro
07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Grunting is very easy to get in the habit of doing, but just don't.

Kiknskreem
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Easy, when you grunt you lose tightness and miss the lift - Lones says: "Don't do grunts!"

A prolonged vocalization, will cause you lose tightness, not a quick grunt.

A quick grunt actually causes an immediate spike in valsalvic pressure, that is why it is a very natural thing to do and often happens involuntarily.

BigTallOx
08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Back to the topic of this thread....

I've wondered the same thing, I've seen some really good lifters do both. Some grunt exhaling slightly, some don't breath at all until the lift is finished. (None of the good lifters I'm referring to do any more than a SMALL grunt. It seems the guys who do huge grunts are newbe gym rat types. ) So I've started experimenting on my own to see what seems natural to me. I've found that it's really hard for me to do anything other than hold my breath when benching my max until after I rack the weight. Squats for me are different, it seems that I have more power if right when I start up from the bottom I push my abs against my belt and then let out a small grunt. I was playing around with this just yesterday, and it felt really natural to me and really helped me feel strong coming off the bottom, but I have no idea if it's considered a good thing to do or not. With deads found that I naturally breath out for the last inch or so of the pull. But then again I still don't know what my max deadlift is ( my max attempt at the meet last weekend was still really easy, my face didn't turn purple like the other guys' max attempts, LOL ). Maybe doing my max, this wouldn't seem like the thing to do. I don't know if what feels natural means the most power, but I suspect it does at least for the short term.

40 Nunc
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
So do any of you guys that hold your breath have any problems with getting light-headed when NOT lifting? Do you get light-headed when standing up too quick? I've heard holding your breath can cause this problem...

CMAND21
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
My two cents comes from being a former shot put and discus thrower. I always grunt or yelled thru the throw. I also exhale heavily thru my lifts. During the exhale is when you put oxygen into to blood stream.

Why take in BIG AIR at the begining of the lift if your not actually going to use it during the big lift??

Just like the two events I mentioned it about creating as much explosion as possible to start the upward movment. The more oxygen that is pushed thru the blood the more explosion thru the muscle.

I can site any number of analogies from other sports to make my point.

BigTallOx
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Why take in BIG AIR at the begining of the lift if your not actually going to use it during the big lift??

For me anyway, when I try exhaling on the way up on my bench, I found that it was hard to keep my upper body tight and I also lost some leg drive. I don't know if this is standard "why" but it seems that way for me anyway.

Jorge Sanchez
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Taking a big breath (and holding it) increases your inter-abdominal pressure which keeps you tighter and more stable, which, in turn, enables you to lift more weight and to do it safely.

Lones Green
08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
For me anyway, when I try exhaling on the way up on my bench, I found that it was hard to keep my upper body tight and I also lost some leg drive. I don't know if this is standard "why" but it seems that way for me anyway.

this is true. your strength comes from tightness!

Ben Moore
08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
So do any of you guys that hold your breath have any problems with getting light-headed when NOT lifting? Do you get light-headed when standing up too quick? I've heard holding your breath can cause this problem...

no -

Travis Bell
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Definatly not the standard. You may be different but most guys will lose their arch and alot of their power if they exhale on the way up. You should hold your breath during the entire lift

=Travis=
08-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd go as far as saying that if you're doing a 3 rep set, hold your breath through the whole set.

BigTallOx
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Definatly not the standard. You may be different but most guys will lose their arch and alot of their power if they exhale on the way up. You should hold your breath during the entire lift

Just to be clear, I was experimenting. For benching, I do hold my breath, like my post said, it was hard for me not to. And when I didn't ( for experimentation purposes ), I lost tightness and power. Maybe you mis-read what I said, but it sounds like we're in agreement.

Travis Bell
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Whoops, you're right, I did misunderstand. Sorry bout that

Kiknskreem
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I also exhale heavily thru my lifts. During the exhale is when you put oxygen into to blood stream.

Just like the two events I mentioned it about creating as much explosion as possible to start the upward movment. The more oxygen that is pushed thru the blood the more explosion thru the muscle.

Whether or not you exhale during a lift does not have any impact on oxygen transport or utilization.

What breathing can affect is IAP and ITP, which are important in that they are needed to ward off orthopedic injury and lift efficiently.

Reko
08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Whether or not you exhale during a lift does not have any impact on oxygen transport or utilization.

What breathing can affect is IAP and ITP, which are important in that they are needed to ward off orthopedic injury and lift efficiently.

Hooray eye injuries!

Guido
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Taking a big breath (and holding it) increases your inter-abdominal pressure which keeps you tighter and more stable, which, in turn, enables you to lift more weight and to do it safely.Exactly. A tighter core means more stability which means your muscles can spend more effort moving the weight long the desired path rather than trying to stabilize at the same time. It's the same reason why belts help you move more weight, and why a wider bench is generally better than a narrower one for benching heavier. I always hold my breath through a lift except I'll occasionally let out a gutteral sound on a really tough lift in squat or deadlift. I know plenty of guys who've passed out during a hard DL because they fought a lift for so long they ran out of air because they refused to take a breath for fear of losing the lift.

Buccos1
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Okay,so as I am still fairly new to powerlifting ,I was wondering what the standard was for breathing during the Bench,Squat,Deadlift.As for bench,I normally fill myself up with air and hold it til I'm halfway up with the weight.But I see that holding it until you rack the weight is common.I just want to know how to get max output on the "big 3"

I've really been working on holding my breath on the heavier lifts and am getting better at this (which has definetely helped me move the weight). Training 15+ years "BB style" made this tough for me, though, I've been holding my breath throughout the entire rep with increasing weight more consistently. It's still tough at times when I hit my sticking point in the squat to stay tight but improving.

TNDeadlifter
08-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Tee Meyers says that you should breath out on the dl after you pass your knees as his sticking point is over as his is off the floor and it allows the shoulder to hunch a tad bit more making lockout a bit shorter. He says that often when he is talking on the platform during his lift it is actually just his way of letting his air out past the sticking point.

I just hold it until the top.

vdizenzo
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Hold your breath.

AJ_H
08-28-2008, 06:36 AM
For me, this seems to come most naturally: benches, I breathe out (sometimes let out a small, involuntary grunt), squats, don't breathe at all less I'm repping it out, deadlifts no breathing at all then really, really deep involuntary breaths at the top of the move when I'm trying to lockout the weight followed by the weight crashing to the floor.

Aside from the big 3, a loud roar seems to come naturally for powercleans... for me anyway. In fact I can't really go heavy without doing so.