PDA

View Full Version : hydration

shanu
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I bought a bodyfat, hydration percentage scale the other day.
My hydration percentage was 53. In the instruction booklet that came with the scale it said the healthy range was between 40 and 60.
Is it unhealthy if I tried to keep my hydration levels above 60?
And do bodybuilders need a higher percentage than normal people (not talking about competitions)

deeder
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd return the scale if I were you. IMO, it's worthless.

I judge hydration by the color of my piss. If it is yellow, I need to drink more. If it's clear, then I am good :thumbup:

bjohnso
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I bought a bodyfat, hydration percentage scale the other day.
My hydration percentage was 53. In the instruction booklet that came with the scale it said the healthy range was between 40 and 60.
Is it unhealthy if I tried to keep my hydration levels above 60?
And do bodybuilders need a higher percentage than normal people (not talking about competitions)

Not sure. Is that a Tanita scale? I've heard those things aren't really accurate at all (that's just what I've heard).

I've drank (drunk?) as much as 2 gallons a day for extended periods of time - although I now believe that was totally unnecessary. I'm now usually drinking maybe 1 gallon a day.

But, if you don't mind pissing, drink away.

shanu
07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I bought it mainly for the bodyfat%.
So at what point does drinking not do you any more good. For example if you drink say 4 litres a day is drinking any more than that a waist of time?

bjohnso
07-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I bought it mainly for the bodyfat%.
So at what point does drinking not do you any more good. For example if you drink say 4 litres a day is drinking any more than that a waist of time?

It depends how much you sweat I guess. I tend to get dehydrated rather easily, so it's a judgement call. More couldn't hurt, but drinking too much water can actually kill you (you have to drink an awful lot of it for that, though).