PDA

View Full Version : 3 week cutting diet and i GAINED weight!!

EMan
03-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Man talk about something that will blow the crap outta my motivation. I'm at a loss. I was 6'2 @ 217lbs. Started my diet 3 weeks ago. I eat 2400 cals (750 below maint.), no sugar, only complex carbs, 50% protein 30% fat 20% carb, drink shitloads of water and i don't mix carbs and fats. My cardio is on the very low side cuz I hate the stuff. I'm pumping like a mad man at the gym though and i'm getting my strength back.

After 3 weeks of my diet.... i've gained two pounds!!!!!!!! Man this sucks. i though i was doing really well and i can see in the mirror more definition but.... I was hoping to lose about 2lbs a day

You can see my diet journal here:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=emanz

(Ignore the days with no food ;) )

Somebody please help me out. I'm lost.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Jane
03-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by EMan
I was hoping to lose about 2lbs a day

I can see where you may have been disapointed.

EMan
03-26-2002, 02:17 PM
LOL sorry

I meant to say 'I was hoping to lose 2lbs a week' !

Ok Jane.. stop mocking my fatigue and multitasking :)

Jane
03-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I was hoping to lose 6lbs a week

I can see where you may have been disapointed.

Cue-Ball
03-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Who cares what the scale says? If you look better, isn't that the goal? My advice would be to forget the scale exists. Use the mirror instead.

jell999
03-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Maybe you gained enough muscle mass that it outweighed what you lost in fat.

And whats this about going days without food?!?

Jane
03-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Cue-Ball
Who cares what the scale says? If you look better, isn't that the goal? My advice would be to forget the scale exists. Use the mirror instead.

:nod:

btw, at 750 below maintenance the max you could lose in week is 1.5 pounds, which might be a little fast if you'd rather not lose any muscle

EMan
03-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jell999
Maybe you gained enough muscle mass that it outweighed what you lost in fat.

And whats this about going days without food?!?

It was a busy weekend and I didn't have time to log my food intake. Don't worry I ate ;)

Joey G.
03-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Don't go by what the scale says. What is your body fat?? That will tell the true story.

EMan
03-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Tanita says 22%. But Tanita blows.

jell999
03-26-2002, 03:33 PM
Get a real BF measurement done.
Do it regularly.
Its the best measurement out there.

TFXP-Zeke01
03-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Could just be water gain...............too much sodium?

=w=
03-26-2002, 04:51 PM
i though i was doing really well and i can see in the mirror more definition but.... I was hoping to lose about 2lbs a day

Im with everyone else who says if you can see a positive difference (visualy) then what difference does the scale make? Weight can fluctuate by large amounts daily anyway. I mean it you are not gonna walk around and try to pick up girls by saying "hey I lost 10 lbs over the last 6 weeks" are you? NO, you are gonna pick them up by your increased definition and better body composition. So who cares what the scale says if you are looking better and body comp is improving.

Par Deus
03-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Studies have shown that people underestimate their daily food consumption by 20-30% -- obese people by even more. Perhaps this is the problem.

Are you actually weighing your food???

EMan
03-27-2002, 12:18 PM
most of the food i weight. stuff like veggies etc.. i don't weigh nor count.

MRJ
03-27-2002, 05:35 PM
FYI:

I was eating 3900 calories p/day (actual I weighed it all)

After 5 weeks steadily declining to my current consumption of 2700 calories p/day (still weighing) I've only lost 4 lbs. (actual)

I know that I'm losing fat, because my pants are growing looser by the week & my abs. are showing good definition, yet my shirts and gym shorts are still tight. (chest, arms, thighs, etc.)

I'm with the other guys . . . use the scale for reference, but don't let it be holy writ.

Par Deus
03-28-2002, 10:50 AM
most of the food i weight. stuff like veggies etc.. i don't weigh nor count.

Very curious as to what falls in the "etc." category....

EMan
03-28-2002, 02:26 PM
just veggies is what I don't count. Everything else is weighed and tracked.

ElPietro
03-28-2002, 02:47 PM
Are you trying to lose weight to look better? Or is there some ride you cannot go on because you are too heavy?

I mean you said it yourself...you are getting stronger and leaner...so wtf do you care what some scale tells you?

As Jell said, you have probably added muscle mass which results in weight gain even though you have cut out some bodyfat. Muscle weighs more, hence the increase.