PDA

View Full Version : Rate my diet (bulking)

Cue-Ball
03-26-2002, 02:24 PM
I don't think i'm eating enough, but i'm trying to eat lots of protein and relatively "clean" foods. Here's an example of my daily diet with estimated calories, protin/carb/fat in grams.

28years old, 6'2", 190lbs, unknown bf% (i'm guessing around 18-20%)

06:30 - EAS Protein shake w/3 cups skim milk ~400cal, 60/40/5
07:00 - Workout (~60 minutes of weights)
08:30 - Two hard-boiled eggs 180cal, 14/2/10
09:00 - Two bowls of Fiber One cereal w/banana, skim milk ~500cal, 30/150/8
12:00 - Two Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwiches ~820cal, 60/90/30
15:00 - PowerBar Protein Plus bar 580cal, 48/76/10
19:00 - Two tuna sandwiches on wheat bread 720cal, 80/65/15
22:00 - Cottage cheese w/yogurt or strawberries ~300cal, 42/25/10

~1 gallon water throughout the day

Totals: ~3500 calories, ~300 protein, ~450 carbs, ~100 fat.

This isn't what i eat EVERY day, but it's a good example. Sometimes i have a footlong chicken/turkey sub for lunch, sometimes i have a big-ass salad with grilled chicken, etc. But i think you get the idea. My lunch and dinner vary, but the protein shake and snacks are pretty constant.

I take my protein shake and 5gm creatine about 30 minutes before my workout. I go to bed at about 23:00 or so, which means i'm eating my last meal 1/2-1 hour before bed. Even with eating this much food, i'm still plenty hungry throughout the day.

Any input or criticism is appreciated.

Thanks.

massa
03-26-2002, 02:47 PM
i would say take your creatine and protein shake right after you lift. i dont think your getting enough protein right after your workouty

=w=
03-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by massa
i would say take your creatine and protein shake right after you lift. i dont think your getting enough protein right after your workouty

I think more importantly than not enough protein right after he is lifting is the fact that he is not getting any carbs. If it were me and those were the meals I was planning on sticking to (though you certainley could do better) I would switch my pre and post workout meals, eggs before, shake after.

Cue-Ball
03-26-2002, 06:05 PM
I'll try switching my pre and post workout meals. It'll be hard though, since i have no way to refrigerate my protein shake while i'm at the gym (i go straight from the gym to work). I'll try to work something out, but might have to use water in my shake instead of milk.

I thought that i was getting plenty of carbs. They make up over 50% of my daily intake (in grams). I actually thought i was getting TOO MANY carbs because i wanted at least 50% of my diet to be protein.

When you say i "certainly could do better", what exactly do you mean? I thought that most of my meals were pretty good. Is there something in particular that you think i should change?

Budiak
03-26-2002, 10:50 PM
So much food...I've never eaten that much even on my cheatingest cheat day.

How about throwing two more eggs into your hard boiled snack? Thats a couple calories.

Dont eat powerbars, I think that their carbs are counterproductive to your goals, which I assume are to get bigger, bulk up/etc. Instead of a powerbar, have a low carb MRP bar, they cost almost the same, have more protein, and have far fewer sugars.

Wizard
03-27-2002, 01:51 AM
In general, the diet looks good. The amount of calories can be adjusted based on the results you get but what you can improve is the quality of the foods that you eat.

Cue-Ball
03-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Okay, two people have commented that the quality of the foods i'm eating is not good. But i'm not sure what or why!? I'm eating protein shakes, proten bars, eggs, chicken, veggies, fruits, etc. My meals are all low in saturated fat, high in protein, and have good carbs. What should i be changing?

Budiak - I was eating ~3000 calories for my first month and have yet to gain a single pound so i figured i must be low. I've been at 3500 calories now for about a week and i'm STILL not gaining. I'm going to give 3500 calories another month or so and if i still don't gain i'll up the calories again. The funny thing is, even with eating this much, i'm always very hungry before my next meal is due. I'm going to trade off my Protein Plus bars for lower carb bars (not low, LOW carb, but lower) as soon as i finish what i've got now. But, i've got three boxes so that will take a month or two.