PDA

View Full Version : Squat Suit Advise: Metal Pro Squatter

littleman19
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I want to get a squat suit that I can use for both squat & deadlift. I use a wide-stance squat and sumo deadlift. The best I've found so far is the Metal Pro Squatter (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=181&pid=718). This would be the first squat suit I've purchased, but not the first time I've ever used one. I used one of my school's single-ply suits from 7th grade to 10th grade as I completed in high school powerlifting meets, so I have a bit of experience with suits, but I've never used a double-ply before. I'm not a bad squatter. I squatted 325 in a suit at 123lb 2 years ago, hurt my back a few months later, and am now just getting back into squatting (check out my journal). Does anyone have/recommend this suit or have any other suits they recommend?

Chris Rodgers
07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Are you going to wear briefs? Do you plan on competing in the near future?

littleman19
07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Are you going to wear briefs? Do you plan on competing in the near future?

I don't plan on competing any time soon. I just like lifting heavy weights :p. I was planning on getting briefs eventually, but would you recommend that I start training w/ briefs now? If your going to wear briefs aren't you supposed to size up a bit on the squat suit? Also, do you wear briefs when deadlifting? If not, then I wouldn't want to get briefs because I want to deadlift in the suit also.

deeder
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
If you're not going to compete why do you want to get in to equipment?

Chris Rodgers
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't plan on competing any time soon. I just like lifting heavy weights :p. I was planning on getting briefs eventually, but would you recommend that I start training w/ briefs now? If your going to wear briefs aren't you supposed to size up a bit on the squat suit? Also, do you wear briefs when deadlifting? If not, then I wouldn't want to get briefs because I want to deadlift in the suit also.

Not sure how your $$$ situation is right now, but with no plans to compete soon I would suggest getting a good pair of briefs to train in and get strong with for a while. Once the time comes around to get ready for a meet you can buy a suit fitted to go over them. Metal briefs are all great. My first pair was the Pros, then I got the Vikings and now I have been training in the Ace briefs for the past 2 years or so. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them and yes, you can pull sumo in the briefs.

littleman19
07-28-2008, 07:36 PM
If you're not going to compete why do you want to get in to equipment?

For the fun of it :rolleyes:. Haha I'm going to go with what Chris recommended.

Not sure how your $$$ situation is right now, but with no plans to compete soon I would suggest getting a good pair of briefs to train in and get strong with for a while. Once the time comes around to get ready for a meet you can buy a suit fitted to go over them. Metal briefs are all great. My first pair was the Pros, then I got the Vikings and now I have been training in the Ace briefs for the past 2 years or so. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them and yes, you can pull sumo in the briefs.

Cool, thank you. I think I'm going to go with the Ace briefs, but the sizing chart has a typo. It says:

"Ace Briefs: Add 2 to your PELVIS AROUND measurement (inches). If you measure 42, you will need a size 46 Ace brief."

Do you know if it is supposed to be add 2 or add 4? Also on sizing, did you follow the sizing chart or order smaller than the recommended size? Some people say to order a size or two smaller so once the briefs stretches out you get the best fit.

Chris Rodgers
07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
For the fun of it :rolleyes:. Haha I'm going to go with what Chris recommended.

Cool, thank you. I think I'm going to go with the Ace briefs, but the sizing chart has a typo. It says:

"Ace Briefs: Add 2 to your PELVIS AROUND measurement (inches). If you measure 42, you will need a size 46 Ace brief."

Do you know if it is supposed to be add 2 or add 4? Also on sizing, did you follow the sizing chart or order smaller than the recommended size? Some people say to order a size or two smaller so once the briefs stretches out you get the best fit.

Do you have any idea how big your upper thighs are? I have a size 40 Ace brief that is like 2+ years old and a pair of 42's that I just got a few months back. They both fit about the same now(the 40's are stretched out). There is a chance that I still have a pair of 38's that I had bought and were too tight. If one of my training partner's didn't jack them and they fit you, maybe we can make a deal. :thumbup:

littleman19
07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you have any idea how big your upper thighs are? I have a size 40 Ace brief that is like 2+ years old and a pair of 42's that I just got a few months back. They both fit about the same now(the 40's are stretched out). There is a chance that I still have a pair of 38's that I had bought and were too tight. If one of my training partner's didn't jack them and they fit you, maybe we can make a deal. :thumbup:

Thigh: 21.5 in
Pelvis: 37 in
Waist: 30.5 in (i don't think waist really matters but i measured it anyways)

I don't think I'm going to fit in a 38 :(. According to their chart (http://www.elitefts.com/size-chart.htm), I should get a 44. I think I should go with a 42 though. What do you think?

Chris Rodgers
07-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Thigh: 21.5 in
Pelvis: 37 in
Waist: 30.5 in (i don't think waist really matters but i measured it anyways)

I don't think I'm going to fit in a 38 :(. According to their chart (http://www.elitefts.com/size-chart.htm), I should get a 44. I think I should go with a 42 though. What do you think?

No way. You will be swimming in a 44. My legs are bigger than yours by a few inches and I can fit into the 40 and 42 without much problem. I have physically got the 38 on, but they were damn tight and didn't give me any more pop than the 40. I think the 38 would be your size. If you plan on getting bigger, than maybe a 40.

Ben Moore
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Second to the metal briefs - you can't go wrong there.