PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it?

JD77
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Coffee....I drink a lot of it. At least 1 pot, sometimes two in a day. I drink 1/2 caff with, 3 tbsp of grounds per 12 cups of water, and don't ever add any cream or sugar. I try to get as much water in as I can as well, but have become fond of coffee because it has some flavor keeps me from wanting soda, etc.

So, I was just wondering if coffee in those quantities poses any major health concerns. I did a search, but didn't find any posts relating to heavy coffee consumption.

Auburn
07-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, all that book learning done told me coffee is probably good for you.

Better go to the nursing home and ask, though.

But honestly, most of the longer-term benefits are all correlated with higher intakes (7-8 cups/day). Those benefits being increased insulin sensitivity, lower risk of cognitive decline, hepatoprotection, and probably some I'm forgetting. The acute effects of caffeine on blood pressure don't seem to translate over to chronic effects.

RedSpikeyThing
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Drink lots of water, coffee is a diuretic.

I drink 1/2 caff with, 3 tsp of grounds per 12 cups of water.

That's not coffee. That's brown water. I drink about the same amount of coffee in a quarter the water haha

Auburn
07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Drink lots of water, coffee is a diuretic.

There is mounting evidence (mostly in papers by Lawrence Armstrong) that the old caffeine-diuretic thing isn't accurate from a chronic standpoint. And, you've got the hydrating effects of the liquid in coffee.

JD77
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
That's not coffee. That's brown water. I drink about the same amount of coffee in a quarter the water haha

Yeah, I wrote that wrong. I use 3 tbsp per 12 cups. Sorry about that. It's still pretty weak coffee though.

j8715
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
yeah thats maybe like one mug of coffee i drink... thats before the weak work coffee too. keeps my poo on schedule.

RedSpikeyThing
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
There is mounting evidence (mostly in papers by Lawrence Armstrong) that the old caffeine-diuretic thing isn't accurate from a chronic standpoint. And, you've got the hydrating effects of the liquid in coffee.

weird, didn't know that

keeps my poo on schedule.

bahahahaha :fart: