PDA

View Full Version : Off-Day and Cardio Question

Whuditdew
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Today is my first off day and I have some questions.

1) Do I need to eat as much on an off day as on a lifting day?

2) If I do cardio do I need to eat more calories to make up for the ones that I burn?

kevowamo
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
hmm, well tell us your goal. are you trying to gain weight, maintain your current weight but be more active, or lose weight?

Whuditdew
07-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I am trying to gain muscle. I do not need to lose any weight at all. I like cardio because it makes me feel good and it's other health benefits.

chrissw22
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
The best tips I have gotten from people regarding cardio is this:

1. Depending on the amount of cardio you do, you want to up your calories by that amount

(i.e. BMR of 1400 + 420 = 1820 calories per day w/o any exercise to maintain current weight. If you do a brisk walk out-doors for 30 min. you burn on avg. 200-250 cals.)

As for weight training cals burned...

Weight training (super circuit) 137
Weight training (muscular strength) 60
Weight training (muscular endurance) 80

(All these calorie amounts are for a 170lb. man for ten minutes of training.)

Weight training Cal. burning cited from: http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm

So the answer is yes to both questions. Especially the one regarding eating the same cals. on your day off. It is VERY important to do so if you want to build muscle. You need to be eating at least 0.88 grams of protein per pound of body weight also, even on your days off. Your days off are the most important muscle building time. It is when your body is in recovery. Your cells are repairing your muscle from the assault they received the day before and one of the main components of that repair is protein, along with testosterone which is one of the other major contributors.

kevowamo
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
if you're trying to gain muscle/weight, dont worry about calories. if you WERE, then there would be some sorting through to do. if you're wanting to gain, just be over maintenance. i.e. you shouldnt be close enough to maintenance to have to worry about 'making up' calories lost from doing cardio. if youre trying to gain weight, the goal of cardio then is based heavily on heart health and heart efficiency

Whuditdew
07-31-2008, 01:56 PM
So if I am taking in 2200 calories a day and I want to do cardio how many extra calories should I add on? (6ft 130 pounds)

chrissw22
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Here is an awesome WBB article regarding this topic:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292

I just want it to be clear that I meant at least those amount of calories. I didn't mean to eat exactly the calories in the example. I don't however recommend just ignoring you calories, especially if you are not too familiar with a balanced diet and what that entails. Which most beginners are not, btw.

chrissw22
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
150lbs. x 10 = BMR of 1500 calories
1500 cal. x .60 = 900 activity factor
1500 cal. + 900 = 2400 cal. per day

This is for someone that is your height, age, and sex. Your ideal weight is 150 lbs. This is the minimum cals. you should be taking in. I put you with an activity factor of 0.60, so if you run 30 min. and workout in the same day this should still compensate for that. Again, this is the BARE MINIMUM Cals./day.

If you want to get into more detail and be like me who is trying to gain muscle but eat healthy then you should follow a 25/40/35 split. That is 25% fat, 40% carbs, and 35% protein. (cal per gram fat = 9, cal per gram carb and prot = 4)
Or you can do the easy method and just make sure you are taking in 0.88-1.76g per pound body weight of prot a day.

kevowamo
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
6 ft, 130 lb?