PDA

View Full Version : Speed Deadlift Single Vid 315@153lb

littleman19
07-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Tried speed singles for the first time today. Here's a vid of one of the sets.

cG9IOw0KL_c

Lones Green
07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
i gotta be honest...by the looks of you i didn't think that was going to move that fast. good job.

Chris Rodgers
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
i gotta be honest...by the looks of you i didn't think that was going to move that fast. good job.

Hey us little guys have to move it fast or it just doesn't happen, lol.

Speed looked good man.

Travis Bell
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
I have to agree, that speed looked great! Looked like your right foot moved a bit when you locked it out. It didn't look like it made your knee twist at all (which could cause injury) but just the same it'll help to keep your feet planted. Still though, I was surprised like Lones to see that move that fast

deeder
07-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Great speed! I was getting ready to post a "that's not exactly speed work" comment hahah.

littleman19
07-31-2008, 09:26 PM

haha i am quite small. thanks

Hey us little guys have to move it fast or it just doesn't happen, lol.

Speed looked good man.

you nailed it :p if i don't try to pull heavy weight up as fast as i can, it's not coming off the floor. can't wait to start pulling in briefs ;)

I have to agree, that speed looked great! Looked like your right foot moved a bit when you locked it out. It didn't look like it made your knee twist at all (which could cause injury) but just the same it'll help to keep your feet planted. Still though, I was surprised like Lones to see that move that fast

thanks travis, it always makes me happy to get compliments from you. when i first watched the vid, i noticed that too. usually, when the weight is heavier, my feet are anchored down. i think it was just because the weight was a bit light.

Great speed! I was getting ready to post a "that's not exactly speed work" comment hahah.

hahahaha no need for that :smoke:

mike42506
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
that was pretty fast ;)

BFGUITAR
08-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice!
I have the exact same total as you (same numbers too) except I weigh 180 lol. I am very surprised how fast that came up. I don't think I am that fast off the floor even with 315.

Ben Moore
08-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Speed looked good. I would caution you though to not go that heavy on speed days. If your max is still around 405, you'll want to stick to the 50-60% bar weight. Speed day is to hone form, and build speed.

littleman19
08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
that was pretty fast ;)

Nice!
I have the exact same total as you (same numbers too) except I weigh 180 lol. I am very surprised how fast that came up. I don't think I am that fast off the floor even with 315.

cool stuff! except i'm sure you are a bit stronger than me if we have the same max but your not as fast of the floor. i bet if you work on your speed and exploding a bit more, you'd hit a nice pr and leave me in the dust haha

Speed looked good. I would caution you though to not go that heavy on speed days. If your max is still around 405, you'll want to stick to the 50-60% bar weight. Speed day is to hone form, and build speed.

thanks for the advice. i was originally planning on doing 225lb for my speed work, but when i pulled it up, i felt like if i went up any faster i'd fall back so i went up to 275 for 6 sets and those flew up almost as fast as 225, but without me feeling like i was going to fall back. i figured i should go up to a heavier weight i could still move quickly, but could also still improve on in form and speed. i just feel that speed work with heavier weights will translate a lot better than speed work with lighter weights. i know its called Dynamic Effort for a reason, but the deads weren't very taxing and i stopped after 3 sets. they were a hell of a lot less taxing than speed box squats. if i dropped back down to 275 next time, i feel i'm just focusing on form instead of both form and speed. would it be ok if i did 275 a few sets and then did 1-2 sets of a heavier weight (around 315) to work more on speed?.

Ben Moore
08-01-2008, 09:22 AM

cool stuff! except i'm sure you are a bit stronger than me if we have the same max but your not as fast of the floor. i bet if you work on your speed and exploding a bit more, you'd hit a nice pr and leave me in the dust haha

thanks for the advice. i was originally planning on doing 225lb for my speed work, but when i pulled it up, i felt like if i went up any faster i'd fall back so i went up to 275 for 6 sets and those flew up almost as fast as 225, but without me feeling like i was going to fall back. i figured i should go up to a heavier weight i could still move quickly, but could also still improve on in form and speed. i just feel that speed work with heavier weights will translate a lot better than speed work with lighter weights. i know its called Dynamic Effort for a reason, but the deads weren't very taxing and i stopped after 3 sets. they were a hell of a lot less taxing than speed box squats. if i dropped back down to 275 next time, i feel i'm just focusing on form instead of both form and speed. would it be ok if i did 275 a few sets and then did 1-2 sets of a heavier weight (around 315) to work more on speed?.

Honestly, I would try to incorporate some band work into your speed pulls so you're still locking out a decent amount of weight, but not that much off the floor. That way you can focus on speed to finish the lift.

That said, if you feel like it's working don't change a thing. It seems like you've got a good grasp. You're going to have to go a little by feel on those and make sure you're recovering properly for ME and DE days.

littleman19
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Honestly, I would try to incorporate some band work into your speed pulls so you're still locking out a decent amount of weight, but not that much off the floor. That way you can focus on speed to finish the lift.

That said, if you feel like it's working don't change a thing. It seems like you've got a good grasp. You're going to have to go a little by feel on those and make sure you're recovering properly for ME and DE days.

Band work sounds like a good way to get some speed work in with lighter weights. This was my first time ever doing speed deadlifts so we'll see how things translate. I'll mess around with a few ideas depending on how my next few sessions go.

thewicked
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
DAMN! hahaha.. SICK STUFF MAN! That was an AWESOME pull! your form and technique was textbook! Looked like you sat down on a tack on the way up!

littleman19
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
DAMN! hahaha.. SICK STUFF MAN! That was an AWESOME pull! your form and technique was textbook! Looked like you sat down on a tack on the way up!

haha thanks wicked

bill
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Made that look easy, the only thing I would think is you might want to practice holding it a the top for a good lock out.

littleman19
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Made that look easy, the only thing I would think is you might want to practice holding it a the top for a good lock out.

thanks, yeah i wasn't really holding the lockout at the top. i was really just focusing on getting the weight up as fast as possible. i'll hold it a sec or two longer next time.

youngguns
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
lol at all the people looking at you lifting barefoot. great spead, i feel so incompetent watching this vid because i finally got my deadlift max to 315 yesterday, and you're lighter than me.