PDA

View Full Version : Dedication and Knowledge; Taking Back What is Mine

TopCat
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Long post, I know. Sorry. Got a lot to say though.

First about the title. I feel dedication and knowledge are the two most important tools one can have and use to obtain set goals, regardless of what it is. Knowledge comes in many forms including experience under the bar, lifting with and listening to the pros, and reading and studying from the experts. While all avenues of knowledge are important, your goals will dictate which are most valuable.

A quick summary (see journal for the long story) of my life in about the past year. A year ago I was what many members would complain about on this site, someone who craved knowledge but lacked dedication; too often I spun my wheels and made little progress. 11 months ago I was in a motorcycle accident. 2 fractured vertebrae, 1 fractured rib, and a collapsed lung left me defeated and in an upper-body/neck brace until November with another month of very restricted activities. The accident revealed I had thyroid cancer. I underwent a full thyroidectomy 10 months ago (October) and treatment via radioactive iodine 8 months ago (December). 1 Week ago I finish another diagnostic test (crappy ass diet again with no iodine) and still have a touch of the cancer left.

If you've got goals that you are not meeting, find out what your deal is. Sack up, correct the problem, and take what is rightfully yours!

Pictures show the majority of my training from accident on. Due to school (Working on my PharmD) I had to stop the diet for multiple weeks and got about 6 weeks behind schedule. I should also add throughout the diet I maintained strength and have matched my PR's when I weighed 20 lbs more. Weight went as follows:

10/28/07 ----- 178 (low... that I know of, first time on scale in months)
01/05/08 ----- 196
03/02/08 ----- 212 (high)
03/03/08 ----- 209 (start UD2)
04/04/08 ----- 205
06/??/08 ----- ???
07/31/08 ----- 191 (Very depleted, had nothing to eat and just biked 10 miles)

Below in next post are couple others currently. Please feel free to leave any feedback. I know the pictures are not the greatest, and I suck at posing my chest (which I feel is also a weak point still).

Lastly, my DL PR!

N5BHxpDNZ9A

TopCat
07-31-2008, 09:50 PM

P.S. I'm looking forward to start putting some more muscle back on! Don't think I can stand another week of dieting...

JSully
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
great work!

you carry your fat pretty evenly, at 205lbs you looked pretty lean but at 190lbs you look shredded, very nice.

Awesome job on the PR too. Sorry about the cancer bro, stay strong, you'll conquer it.

I agree with "dedication and knowledge", but I'd also add strength, discipline and power.. I actually have that tattooed on the inside of my left arm and I'm going to be adding a few more to it in the next year or so..

Anyways, great job and keep at it!

mike42506
07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
good job man!

Coke
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Looking ace TopCat.

Ben Moore
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Your story is a pretty incredible one man. I have a friend who had testicular cancer - had one removed, recovered, trained got back. And then found he had something showing up in his lymph nodes. He had exploratory surgery to take out what they needed (cut from sternum to groin). I got to be there with him and help him get back in shape after his recovery. What I'm saying is, I have an idea what you've been through. You should use that story to motivate as many people as you can!

TopCat
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Here is hoping Ben! This time around as I start to put weight on I might start to explore the powerlifting world.

Patz
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Great physique. Good luck with the thyroid cancer. My dad beat it 10 years ago. If you're gonna get cancer, it's the one to get.

Aren't you the guy who was at Princeton a while back? I had been seeing your name around WBB again lately, but it's been a long-ass time since I can remember seeing you post.

RBB
08-04-2008, 08:29 PM
awesome work, topcat. you've overcome a lot in the last couple of years. pics look great and congrats on the deadlift PR. keep up the good work, bro. this is the type of **** that is very motivating to me. much respect.

cphafner
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
awesome work dude!

kevowamo
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
mad props man. ya look great

unj
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
frikkin awsome man! good luck with the cancer...

ryuage
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
in just this year you've made some awesome progress... looking a lot larger and a lot leaner than the first photo.

Ramstein85
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
talk about inspiring !!!! Where there's a will theres a way. Good luck with the Thyroid cancer, if you've shown us and yourself anything, its that you are one heck of a fighter. !!