PDA

View Full Version : caloric intake + whey question

mitya
08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi all

Simple question: if your aim is to build/define muscle but not gain body mass, do you still need to eat over the recommended daily intake of calories?

I have whey milkshakes twice a day to boost protein but the woman in the shop said protein can be ineffective for a while if you're a newbie because your muscles don't know how best to use it. Is this true and, if so, what can you do? Just accept it won't help for a while and hope it kicks in eventually?

Also, how much protein should you have if you're looking to build/define muscle? I'm currently on about double the recommended intake for a norma man (55 x 2 = 110) - enough or more needed?

Thanks in advance

chrissw22
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
The average strength trainer or person on these forums is taking in around 0.88 to 1.76 grams of protein per pound they weigh. As for the other questions I don't have a clue and would like to know the answer to the protein being ineffective question myself.

mitya
08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks.

Wow, even taking your 0.88 ratio that's more than I'm currently on. Well I presume you don't just drink protein shakes all day - are there other supplements? Should point out that I'm veggie and don't eat so it's a bit of a battle for me. Is it just a case of having 2 shakes a day, and having as much milk, nuts and beans as poss? (too much milk = fat. aggghhhhh)