PDA

View Full Version : Bands question

sayagain
08-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking about adding bands to my DE bench workout to keep things fresh and interesting, but just had a few questions. I currently train unequipped and have a 370 lbs. max. My goal is to get 405 by the end of the year. Normally on DE day I do 8-10 sets of 3 reps with various hand positions. I currently am using a wave type loading pattern with 185, 205, and 225. Which bands should I get? I was thinking the minis would be a good starting point, but want some of the expert opinions here. Also how much bar weight do you guys recommend?

Ben Moore
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd recommend the mini's. As for bar weight - I stick to 50-60% but that's also dependant on speed.

sayagain
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
So would I use 50-60% bar weight plus the bands?

Travis Bell
08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
no, to start you'll need to use 50-60% total weight, meaning that includes the bands

You can adjust from there depending on your speed, but say if you are using 205 for speed right now, if you get the mini bands those are 90lbs at the top (45lbs each band) so you'd have 70lbs bar weight

Ben Moore
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
no, to start you'll need to use 50-60% total weight, meaning that includes the bands

You can adjust from there depending on your speed, but say if you are using 205 for speed right now, if you get the mini bands those are 90lbs at the top (45lbs each band) so you'd have 70lbs bar weight

I was hoping someone who knew what the hell they were talking about would jump in here, LOL. Good info Travis.

sayagain
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick replies. I just ordered the minis from elitefts. They are on-sale this weekend. I'm looking forward to adding a little different dimension to my training. Maybe I'll try some ME stuff with them too.

Eric Downey
08-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Its going to feel light. Thats the point. So dont just the weight b/c you think your not doing anything. Also lock out every rep. Dont cheat it.

Darracq
08-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I would get minis,monster minis and smalls, that way you can use them for max effort work also. nothing has helped my bench like bands.

Lones Green
08-01-2008, 07:10 PM
listen to Travis, he knows what he's talking about. also, remember, if it feels slow don't be afraid to lessen the weight (or tension)

HP666
08-01-2008, 09:27 PM
listen to Travis, he knows what he's talking about. also, remember, if it feels slow don't be afraid to lessen the weight (or tension)

Its going to feel light. Thats the point. So dont just the weight b/c you think your not doing anything. Also lock out every rep. Dont cheat it.

Pay special attention to these quotes. Don't let your ego get in the way and think you need more weight. Speed is the key.

sayagain
08-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Pay special attention to these quotes. Don't let your ego get in the way and think you need more weight. Speed is the key.
I can definitely see how this can happen. Its really going to be hard to only put 135 lbs. or less on the bar (plus bands). Thanks for all the tips. I will probably be posting again in a couple weeks with more questions once I give it a try. It's awesome having such experienced people willing to help the newbies. To me it's like being able to ask Alex Rodriguez how to hit a curveball.

Reko
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
BFT
(b = bumping). Sorry if this is against the rules, but someone who doesn't read his log needs to see this.

RhodeHouse
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Start with 95lbs and the bands the first week. Add 5 lbs each set until you do 8 sets. If at any time your bar speed slows, drop the weight and finish the workout at that weight. ONLY add weight when it moves as fast as the previous weight. Speed is king.

sayagain
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Start with 95lbs and the bands the first week. Add 5 lbs each set until you do 8 sets. If at any time your bar speed slows, drop the weight and finish the workout at that weight. ONLY add weight when it moves as fast as the previous weight. Speed is king.

I will give this a try. I think my bands should be coming today, but I don't plan on getting to try them out until next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

sayagain
09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Well I've had my mini's for about a month now and have been using them on my speed bench days. I started out light and have moved up slowly and I think I have found a good weight range that allows me to keep my speed high. I get a lot of wierd looks at the gym, but I just ignore them and figure that I can bench more than them so let them keep looking at me funny. I'm thinking about also adding them into my ME mix with maybe some heavy lockouts. Thank you everybody for all of your help with these things. I am really enjoying the change of pace they offer my training.

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Well I've had my mini's for about a month now and have been using them on my speed bench days. I started out light and have moved up slowly and I think I have found a good weight range that allows me to keep my speed high. I get a lot of wierd looks at the gym, but I just ignore them and figure that I can bench more than them so let them keep looking at me funny. I'm thinking about also adding them into my ME mix with maybe some heavy lockouts. Thank you everybody for all of your help with these things. I am really enjoying the change of pace they offer my training.

You'll learn to ignore these. It weeds out the ones who aren't genuinely interested so most pepple just leave you alone.