PDA

View Full Version : deadlift help..

thewicked
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
here's a couple vids I took from my speed day.. .these were my last two reps so I wanted to do them slower in hopes for you guys to be able to pick them apart better. The first is my usual.. yes i've deadlifted that way for awhile now and I've pulled 675 like this and have missed right at 7 and can finally look at it and see what people are talking about.. i'm one helluva stiff leg'd deadlifter. The first vid is of my t ypical technique.. the second is of me trying ot learn to lean back.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/biggerbusiness2006/th_0801081650-00.jpg (http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/biggerbusiness2006/?action=view&current=0801081650-00.flv)

trying to lean back..

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/biggerbusiness2006/th_0801081651-00.jpg (http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/biggerbusiness2006/?action=view&current=0801081651-00.flv)

no that's not my typical speed with that.. that's me slowing down to a POINT since I am using heavier bands in hopes of getting some sort of form critique from it. It looks like my deads are all back.. no wonder my good mornings are almost as heavy as my best squat.

Kastro
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Looks painful.

ZenMonkey
08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
if you are trying to get more leg in the DL i suggest squatting to grip the bar and stand up by squatting up. lower the weight and work on it.

Lones Green
08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
hopefully someone like Chris Rodgers or SGT rock will respond to this thread, someone much more experienced than myself.

but with that said, i had the EXACT same problem as you did awhile back. my back hurts just watching that first video. (or wait, maybe it was the seated GM's i did the other day :)) the reason i started pulling sumo was because i figured out i was so tall it would shorten my ROM, and the DOMS from pulling conventional would hinder my training for weeks. i still pull conv. every now and then, but not TOO heavy. your lower back is SO strong if you can pull like that around 7 raw.

now, i pull sumo. for the entire length of my pull i am pretty much straight as a board. i take my breath, grab the bar, put my head up, and pull. the 2nd video looked better, just try to get your ass back and down more, and throw your hips forward at the end of the pull.

eCwN6IANWNM

one of the things that really helped drill the idea of pulling back and getting my ass back was pulling in gear, and pulling sumo. i know this is out of the question for you! lol. pulling conventional is a longer ROM and requires brute strength, like you obviously have.

hope that helped...and im sure someone more experienced will get on here and help you out as well

thewicked
08-02-2008, 09:21 AM
actually the stiff leg'd version is WAY more comfortable to me HAHA! my erectors give me a permanent hunched back/ bad posture look just because of how thick they are. I've never had back problems nor do I ever feel DOMS pulling like that. I did banded good mornings right after those and typing this, I feel fine LOL. I'm going to practice the movement over and over in hopes of getting it right. I'll do whatever it takes to pull 7 without putting on a suit or using drugs. I'm trying tons of new things in hopes of getting it.

Chris Rodgers
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
My conventional basically looks like yours too and I have the same thing with my erectors sticking out. I think I need to learn to sit down into it a little more in the suit, but raw I don't think it matters(whichever way you are strongest) as long as you don't injure yourself.

What is the main reason behind changing your technique?

thewicked
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
to get more legs out of it in hopes of pulling 700 raw soon.. i'm right there but can't seem to get past it. It's not a monkey on my back.. it's more like a GORILLA the size of chad aichs! LOL

ACaslow
08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
it looks like the bar is getting far too ahead of you, it needs to ride up closer to you, get it to ride up your thighs. Don't ramp it up but ride it up with a sliding motion and pop your hips through. This way your not hitching weight when it counts.

That's why speed pulls suck, and they can't tell you ****. They are light and just about anyone can look amazing with speed pulls. We never do them and never will. You can have the worst form with the weight that matters but amazing form with speed pulls.....

Kiknskreem
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
[I'll do whatever it takes to pull 7 without putting on a suit or using drugs. I'm trying tons of new things in hopes of getting it.

I think ceasing to stiff leg it will help you get there. The SLDL is less efficient than a regular deadlift, and while at the moment you may pull more that way, taking the time to rework your form and involve the quads more and get your back in a more mechanically advantageous position will help you long term.

There's some great links I have but I must get to 10 posts before I can put them up.

Tom Mutaffis
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Have you tried changing your foot position and angle? I was having some trouble with my deadlift and then took a wider stance with my toes pointed slightly outward (to involve more quads and improve mechanics) and it helped me to hit a couple of PR's...

Other than that I would say to just work on your sticking point. Chains, rack pulls, reverse band, deficit deads - whatever you need to break that plateau.

Ben Moore
08-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I think ceasing to stiff leg it will help you get there. The SLDL is less efficient than a regular deadlift, and while at the moment you may pull more that way, taking the time to rework your form and involve the quads more and get your back in a more mechanically advantageous position will help you long term.

There's some great links I have but I must get to 10 posts before I can put them up.

Re-working form could be advantagous, but some people are built to not use much legs to pull.

Ditka2008
08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Re-working form could be advantagous, but some people are built to not use much legs to pull.

:hello:

Ben Moore
08-26-2008, 02:24 PM
here's a couple vids I took from my speed day.. .these were my last two reps so I wanted to do them slower in hopes for you guys to be able to pick them apart better. The first is my usual.. yes i've deadlifted that way for awhile now and I've pulled 675 like this and have missed right at 7 and can finally look at it and see what people are talking about.. i'm one helluva stiff leg'd deadlifter. The first vid is of my t ypical technique.. the second is of me trying ot learn to lean back.

trying to lean back..

no that's not my typical speed with that.. that's me slowing down to a POINT since I am using heavier bands in hopes of getting some sort of form critique from it. It looks like my deads are all back.. no wonder my good mornings are almost as heavy as my best squat.

Really all it seems you need to do is lower your hips just a bit. My conventional looks about like that though.

SGT ROCK
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
The consensus is right bro, you MUST lower your hips at the start. If you see some of my older vids of conv or even sumos I had high hips but not NEAR as high as yours, and lowered it a bit with better results. Vince Anello is one of the best ever, and had high hips but STILL not as high as yours brother. Do two weeks on one off of HEAVY five rep sets no belt off a 3 inch box, then back to reg dls no belt for a few weeks, then add the belt, by then your form will be on. Give it time.

Semper Fi

thewicked
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
been attacking the weaker muscle groups hard in hopes that when I pull it'll show up! Doing alot of sled dragging, concentric zercher squats, heavy heavy glute hams, etc. Things I never had a chance to do before.

I would say i do the reverse hyper..but i hate that ****ing machine. Everytime I lay down on it it kills my gut and squeezes a far out of me on the down swing EVERY time lol

Kiknskreem
08-26-2008, 03:55 PM

Individual anthropometry definitely exerts a strong influence, but I think that by looking at the video its pretty clear that this is a case of a less than optimal start position, rather than deviant anthropometry.

=Travis=
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Individual anthropometry definitely exerts a strong influence, but I think that by looking at the video its pretty clear that this is a case of a less than optimal start position, rather than deviant anthropometry.

I think the use of the term "some people" was meant as a generalization and not a comment about the fella's form in the video.

catman
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
if you are trying to get more leg in the DL i suggest squatting to grip the bar and stand up by squatting up. lower the weight and work on it.

I know, I'm new but just to the board. Anyway...

If you look at your first video it shows you exactly what Zen is suggesting. Your current start of the pull shows your hips in line with your head. Butt down and head up should allow you to get 700 provided you've been working your thighs.

ehubbard
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
The only thing I would add is keep your head up at the start of the lift. I do this as well. Don't look at the floor when you start the lift because you will tend to keep your weight forward. Although I am not one to talk since I lift similarly to you. Meow!

As for breaking the 700 barrier, how have you organized your training? 700 is my nemesis right now as well and I am running my next cycle using the 5/3/1 method. Also adding in some high rep oly squats to build up my quads as well as torture myself.