PDA

View Full Version : Need more information on nutritional supplements.

semiko
08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi everyone, I have been considering of taking nutritional supplements that could help me in reducing my cholesterol levels. The fact is that I need to maintain my health and for that I need to take care of certain issues. I have heard about blue green algae being a good supplement for controlling the cholesterol level! I need your suggestions on this and also - Do you consider for this being a good supplement???

=Travis=
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Fish oil is supposed to help. If you take protein supplements, watch the cholesterol in them. I just went to buy some this morning because my normal shipment isn't here yet and there was one that had 35mg per scoop, when you take 8 - 10 scoops per day that is way more cholesterol than you should be taking in. The reccomended daily intake is only 200 mg. I don't really know anything to help lower the cholesterol but watching your protein intake will help in not raising it.

jimmy
08-03-2008, 01:44 AM
You must take some types of fish oil ya meat that will help you out....

FireRescue
08-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I know you are asking about supplements but I was just curious if your diet is in check?

For most (about 90% of people) dietary cholesterol does not have much, if any impact, on serum level cholesterol levels. However carbs, and primarily simple sugars, can possibly have an impact. IMO for all but that 10% their cholesterol can be positively impacted by diet.

Also the fish oil does lower triglycerides but it might actually increase LDL. I have read info both ways on it's affect on LDL.