PDA

View Full Version : 7/30/08 ME Squat/DL Work

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Here's some work I did on Wednesday night. Had some video editing troubles so it's taken me a while to get it on here.

For the sumo pullers, take a look at what's happening on my pull. I'm just coming back to sumo and I feel like a monkey screwing a football. Any advice would be appreciated.

oDVX8i3rS5E&hl

CiteCollegiale
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Great job! How much weight was that?

jtteg_x
08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
video is no longer available:confused:

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry - redid the video since there were a couple of things off. It should be ready momentarily

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Great job! How much weight was that?

705 Squat and 655 DL - not sure on the pulldown abs, haha.

Sean S
08-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Before I critique, you're obviously very strong to be able to pull that weight considering some of the technique "issues" you had.
Here's what I see with the sumo pull:
- You never really get a good arch in your back before you start pulling. I really work on locking my back in before I start off the floor. The cues I use for my training partner when he's getting ready to pull are "knees out" and "arch".
- You lock your knees you way before you are finished locking out the weight. This, combined with not having your back arched, makes locking it out very difficult.

In my opinion, here's what I would work on if it were me:
- arch hard and get your head up more before you start off the floor
- pull up and back (start pulling your head up and pushing your hips forward as soon as the bar clears the floor)
I think these will leave you in a better leverage position at lockout. I have to remind myself of this when I pull.

FYI: Yes I'm new to the board. I am by no means an elite lifter. I have been pulling sumo the last two years and have taken my pull from mid 500's to 675 in that time.

SGT ROCK
08-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Strong lifts, here is my two cents:

The Squat was high, keep knees out and heads up

DL you def hiched it. Wear wrestling shoes, get a DL bar if you can, use baby powder on the legs, get rid of those long shorts for shorter ones or a singlet. Also what the other guys said, knees out, arch your back, perhaps widen your stance a bit and point toes out more.

Semper Fi

frank
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's some work I did on Wednesday night. Had some video editing troubles so it's taken me a while to get it on here.

For the sumo pullers, take a look at what's happening on my pull. I'm just coming back to sumo and I feel like a monkey screwing a football. Any advice would be appreciated.

oDVX8i3rS5E&hl

you look a lil like frank mcgrath?

ever get that before?

Lones Green
08-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Ben i bet if you got out of that rack for the deadlift you could get a bit wider stance...i use a very wide sumo stance, with those commercial gym bars my feet are almost touching the plates. you are used to the conventional stance, and of course sumo is going to feel weird. take your breath, get your grip on the bar, get your back nice, arched, and tight, get your head up and focus on pulling back and moving the hips forward. its a very weird transition from conventional to sumo - but i think you'll be able to pull more sumo once you get used to it.

Travis Bell
08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I think that dude that walked by when you were doing the pulldowns was checkin out your behind!

LOL

If that squat was high, it wasn't by much man. pretty impressive. I had a hard time telling depth from that angle. On the dead, it looked like maybe you needed a tad wider stance? and that your knees locked out just a little too early but thats from a bencher so take it with a grain of salt haha

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Before I critique, you're obviously very strong to be able to pull that weight considering some of the technique "issues" you had.
Here's what I see with the sumo pull:
- You never really get a good arch in your back before you start pulling. I really work on locking my back in before I start off the floor. The cues I use for my training partner when he's getting ready to pull are "knees out" and "arch".
- You lock your knees you way before you are finished locking out the weight. This, combined with not having your back arched, makes locking it out very difficult.

In my opinion, here's what I would work on if it were me:
- arch hard and get your head up more before you start off the floor
- pull up and back (start pulling your head up and pushing your hips forward as soon as the bar clears the floor)
I think these will leave you in a better leverage position at lockout. I have to remind myself of this when I pull.

FYI: Yes I'm new to the board. I am by no means an elite lifter. I have been pulling sumo the last two years and have taken my pull from mid 500's to 675 in that time.

First of all - thanks to everyone that provided advice. I did cut that squat high since the bar was whipping like crazy. Thanks Rock for the advice.

For reference, I pulled 705 conventional and am trying to switch to sumo because my back is toast after squatting by the end of the meet. I am brand new to gear, so I would like to start using a suit when I pull also.

I really appreciate all the thoughts. I will take them all in and see what I can figure out. I did some speed pulls tonight that Will taped. I'll have him post them and see what you think when I get my feet wider.

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Also, I don't care how new to the board you are - give me advice when you think you have some!

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
you look a lil like frank mcgrath?

ever get that before?

No first time honestly - me or the spotter?

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I think that dude that walked by when you were doing the pulldowns was checkin out your behind!

Haha - I saw that.

Ben Moore
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
BTW - I know I hitched the dl, haha. The stance and the start are what I really need help with. I think if I can get that down, the lockout will become somewhat easier. I got my feet out wider tonight on our Okie DL'er and it felt much better, so please take a look at those vids once Will posts them. Thanks again guys! This board is really awesome when it comes to the advice you can seek out.

ACaslow
08-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Ben,

one thing I always preach about the deadlift is to not rush the pull. Make sure you sit back and arch very hard, as you begin to drive up begin to spread your knees and the floor.

On your pull with 655 you were far too forward with your upper body which is why your knees locked out so early. You really have to emphasize pulling your shoulders back hard.

I don't have the best form either for sumo, but for some reason I have been able to teach it - go figure right? but for starters my first recommendation is to sit back hard and to not rush it.

Ben Moore
08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks Al - if you get a moment, check out the speed pulls in my log on here. Tried a couple of things everyone here said and they felt much better.

vdizenzo
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Very strong. You're lucky, you can learn technique, but strong can't be taught.

frank
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
No first time honestly - me or the spotter?

you, ill get a pic...

http://www.posedown.de/specials/2005/2005-02_fibo-2005_update-1/pics/frank-mcgrath.jpg

hes ur twin right?

Ben Moore
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Very strong. You're lucky, you can learn technique, but strong can't be taught.

Haha - thanks Vin.

Ben Moore
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
you, ill get a pic...

http://www.posedown.de/specials/2005/2005-02_fibo-2005_update-1/pics/frank-mcgrath.jpg

hes ur twin right?

yeah, plus or minus 20% BF, haha.

frank
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
ahhh a little like him :)

Lones Green
08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
that looks more like Will!!! hahaha

Reko
08-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Is that one of the animalpak guys?

WillNoble
08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
that looks more like Will!!! hahaha

owned

frank
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Is that one of the animalpak guys?

yea, hes the main universal guy

Ditka2008
08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Is that the 24 Hour Fitness on North Oak? I used to train there...I bet the squat rack was open for you right when you needed it as that gym is full of curl jockey's:)

If you guys ever get an opening for someone to join you for some training please let me know.

And very nice work.

Ben Moore
08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Haha - yes it is - we are moving the gym on Thursday - I'll be in touch with you then. We'd probably be more open to letting you train with us if you help move the gym ;)

Ditka2008
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Haha - yes it is - we are moving the gym on Thursday - I'll be in touch with you then. We'd probably be more open to letting you train with us if you help move the gym ;)

Gotta earn it somehow I guess:)

Ive been lifting for 15 years but this is the first year Ive been focusing on PL...Im training now for my first contest in October. Im going to do a DL only meet and Im hoping to pull 600 at 198 as Ive done that in training. My squat is awful due to running marathons and doing triathlons the past few years...

I could very well have some time after work on Thursday so just let me know, got a truck as well.

Ben Moore
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Ditka2008
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Just tried to and was denied since my post count is so low...no PM for me.

Can you send me one with your email and Ill send it to you that way.

Ben Moore
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
volfan77 (at) yahoo.com

Ditka2008
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Sent.