PDA

View Full Version : I worked my ass off

FootballLifter
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
all summer
four days a week in the weightroom
only had two "break weeks for football camps

and my max bench only went from 190 to 205 (then again I think I could have had 210 but my coach told me to go for 215 and I was about an inch away from that)

is there something wrong with my diet or something or is that normal for a two month period

:p this is probably the most idiotic thread ever
if it is then sorry

Travis Bell
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
well its hard to tell if something is wrong with your diet if you don't post it

could be diet, could be your routine, hard to tell really. Have you lost weight?

zen
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I would prolly want to see how you're lifting before I offered suggestions about lifting, but I do have a tidbit of advice.
205 is 15 more than 190. Simple math.
It may not be the progress you wished for, but it's progress.
Keep it going.
If you quit because it all doesn't magically happen overnight, then you may as well not even have a go to start with.
Slow and steady.

FootballLifter
08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I have gained 15 pounds and my bosy fat stayed the same.
I think most of that weight is in my legs though because my squat went through the roof(compared to what I used to squat) recently and none of my pants fit anymore.

I just do mon- thurs
Upper-Lower-Upper-Lower
I am limited on time so I stick to major lifts and a few others
bench 5x5
dl 5x5
squat 8x3
powercleans 5x5

and then I have a bunch of whatever I can fit in like rows/nosebreakers/curls/ect.

I don't really have a diet I just load calories and protein

beef,chicken,whole milk,shakes,creatine,PASTA,cheese,sandwhichs,and Fast Food occasionally

TankOfTeamStone
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Well I know when I was in high school, I did a football program everything was all about the olympic style lifts. My bench just stayed at where it was and increase a little all pre-season and in-season. In the off-season I stopped doing olympic lifts and I did a simple powerlifting program, my bench increased a lot. In my opinion lay off the olympic style lifts in the off-season. If your focus is bench, why not focus on it a lot more in the off-season and stick with technique with the olympic lifts with light weight. Also, what position do you play?

FootballLifter
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Well I know when I was in high school, I did a football program everything was all about the olympic style lifts. My bench just stayed at where it was and increase a little all pre-season and in-season. In the off-season I stopped doing olympic lifts and I did a simple powerlifting program, my bench increased a lot. In my opinion lay off the olympic style lifts in the off-season. If your focus is bench, why not focus on it a lot more in the off-season and stick with technique with the olympic lifts with light weight. Also, what position do you play?
and actually I do powerlifting year round with only clean and jerks being close to olympic type lifting

but my squats jumped from 290 for 3 reps to 320 for 3 reps and still going higher

so I guess I just need to keep at it and I will eventually get to where I want to be in all lifts

a dline men going into my sophmore year

TankOfTeamStone
08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I would keep doing squats a lot more. Every linemen in my opinion should live off squats. I think incline bench will benefit you more then flat bench.

nhlfan
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
when did your summer start? if it started at the end of june, don't knock a 15-20lb gain.

FootballLifter
08-04-2008, 11:20 PM
when did your summer start? if it started at the end of june, don't knock a 15-20lb gain.

More like the middle of June.

Lones Green
08-05-2008, 03:25 AM
it takes time big guy. eat.

RhodeHouse
08-05-2008, 06:43 AM
That's great progress. Be happy with it.

Make sure you do lots of rows and pull-ups. Drop the skull crushers and culrs for back work. Arms a re gay. If you're doing the big stuff, you don't NEED to do arms. Also, add some Military Pressing.

You're fine, though. BE positive. You gained 15lbs1 That's awesome.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
08-05-2008, 06:58 AM
all summer
four days a week in the weightroom
only had two "break weeks for football camps

and my max bench only went from 190 to 205 (then again I think I could have had 210 but my coach told me to go for 215 and I was about an inch away from that)

is there something wrong with my diet or something or is that normal for a two month period

:p this is probably the most idiotic thread ever
if it is then sorry

http://wannabebigforums.com/banners/upbenchforums.gif
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=113583

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

ehubbard
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I would keep doing squats a lot more. Every linemen in my opinion should live off squats. I think incline bench will benefit you more then flat bench.

Why would incline benefit a football player more than flat bench? I have never seen a football player push someone up in the air at 45 degree angle before.

zen
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Why would incline benefit a football player more than flat bench? I have never seen a football player push someone up in the air at 45 degree angle before.

:withstupi: :zipit: that is a comedy of truth

ehubbard
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
zen - I certainly hope you have something better to do then to call me stupid. I asked Tank a legit question on his thoughts of why Incline would be better than flat bench for a football player. Before asking that I looked through some of his posts and get the impression he is someone who played football and lifts heavy *****. He has an opinion that I would like to hear.

zen
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
zen - I certainly hope you have something better to do then to call me stupid. I asked Tank a legit question on his thoughts of why Incline would be better than flat bench for a football player. Before asking that I looked through some of his posts and get the impression he is someone who played football and lifts heavy *****. He has an opinion that I would like to hear.

FYI The "I'm with stupid" sign merely indicates a concurrence with the previous (or quoted) post.

Your post (the one I concurred with) was funny because it makes logical sense (at least to me) as well as it having the blatantly humorous visual of a football player throwing a guy up at a 45 degree angle.

If I had nothing better to do than to call you stupid, then I would have come right out and called you stupid.

:)

TankOfTeamStone
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Since a lot good linemen, they stay almost low all the time, there first move is to fire with there hands up since they get a lot better leverage then pushing there hands straight out. If you got your hands underneath someone's shoulder pads you can basically control where you want them to go. Just look at how linemen do the 5 man sled there first move is always up and then they drive, thats the way I was tought.

ehubbard
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Tank,
Thanks for responding. I see what you are saying and remember being taught this so so long ago.

How's the Rage X working out?

TankOfTeamStone
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Rage-X is going pretty good. I'm getting better with touching in my loose shirt. One of training partner decided to cut the back of it, boy that did a lot on more adjustability and cooling my big ass down since I sweat a lot when I got the shirt on. I just ordered a new one with bigger arms and same shirt size without the grid stitch. I hoping to sell the other shirt which was way to small in the arms. The new shirt fits like a glove just need 2 big tugs and it's on. I also got completely open back with velcro on the bottom. I can't wait till this weekend to try this shirt out.

ehubbard
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
I did the football thing to try and loosen up the arms with a Metal Bash and I pretty much ruined the shirt. Now I am trying out a SD Phenom and I can also get the shirt on with two good tugs.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit. To the orginal poster, you made a nice jump on your lifts over the course of the summer. Keep up the hard work and eat like it's your job. Good luck this season.

TankOfTeamStone
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
well that sucks. If I get a shirt that the arms are way to small, I'm sending the shirt back. After I get the Rage-X down pat on touching, I might try out the Super Duper Phenom.

joey54
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
You still made good, actually great, progress for the summer and it sounds like your squat is really climbing. The season is just about to start, so I wouldn't see you having the opportunity to make much, if any strength gains until late fall when football is over. Hopefully you can maintain your strength during the season and blast past your numbers in the winter/spring.